News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I'm finding that a lot of threads contain pictures which I cannot view (I simply get the red X). Based upon comments from other members, they are all able to see the very same pictures. This is occuring on three seperate computers for me if that info helps at all.

I really appreciate all of the hard work that goes into running a site like this, so thanks to all involved. Having said that, I actually preferred the style of the old site. I find this one a bit too busy. As the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

As the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Well I suppose we could go back to UT version 0.01 which was a monthly meet at the reference library :)

We got plenty of criticism every other time we upgraded the site including when we went from the very crappy ezboard to vbulletin.

We need to look at the big picture here. The old UT was strictly a forum. Now we are a forum and a blog. A lot of people were turned off by the previous forum. I had people tell me there was too much going on in the forums for them to absorb anything. Or that they didn't have the time to spend on so much information. Now we have a way of broadening our reach by appealing to people who only want a quick daily fix. And for those, like me, who need more the forum is still here. In the meanwhile we continue to look at everything to make sure it works as best as possible.

ed, the top banner is still a bit large for the browser on a 1024x768 screen resolution, not by that much but it still creates a horizontal scroll bar which you can scroll about an inch to the right. if i don't scroll to the right, the banner says "welcome to our plane". either fix the banner or hire some flight attendants! ;)

o.k.....I know this is pretty trivial, but the new emoticons suck.....you can barely see them........:(:(:(:(

I'm finding that a lot of threads contain pictures which I cannot view (I simply get the red X). Based upon comments from other members, they are all able to see the very same pictures. This is occuring on three seperate computers for me if that info helps at all.

I really appreciate all of the hard work that goes into running a site like this, so thanks to all involved. Having said that, I actually preferred the style of the old site. I find this one a bit too busy. As the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

This is because you're logged in on the site at either http://urbantoronto.ca or http://www.urbantoronto.ca

You need to log in to both. The site really really really needs a redirect. I have mentioned this several thousand times now. Everyone needs to be directed to just http://urbantoronto.ca when they put the www in.

I can't access the full drop-down menus for Community, Forum Actions, and Quick Links because ads are in the way (Tridel, etc.) Do I have to change my settings?

Anybody having problems with two clicks to last post still? Also, try the search now to see if that been fixed. And besides designs any other things not working?

The advanced search feature for posts by a specific user is still not working the same way the old one did. (It's basically useless now.)

I'm not a fan of how the logo/banner dominates the page. The focus of a site should be the content, not the branding.

The new look within a thread is nice, but the thread list is way too busy with those oversized icons and multiple text styles. Shrinking the icons down and removing the bold text would go some way to alleviating the visual clutter. Giving the "replies/views" column a different background isn't helping the clutter either.

The different background for sticky threads is unnecessary - they're already highlighted by the fact that they're sticky.

If there are no plans on making any changes to the default skin, an alternative bare-bones one would be nice.

Last edited:
The advanced search feature for posts by a specific user is still not working the same way the old one did. (It's basically useless now.)

Can you explain further?

Can you explain further?

Maybe the lack of a preview of the post... you just see a list of threads where the person has posted. IIRC it would show an excerpt from the post itself so you could figure out which post you were looking for when someone had posted 10 times in a thread.

Long time lurker here…

Urbantoronto has been one of my ‘go to’ sites for two years, and I have learned a vast amount about the city from it. It is a very successful enterprise, and you should be commended for the work you are doing, and for taking it to the point that it is now at! Congratulations! Bearing that in mind, please forgive the intrusion I am about to make.

If you’ll permit me I’d like to comment on the changes you have recently enacted on the site. I am coming at this not through the portal of architecture, and I will leave discussions as to the functionality of the site to others. I am not an architect, but rather a designer and artist, and I am speaking strictly from a design perspective.

Screenshot2010-02-09at90238AM.png

Firstly, the palette you have selected is certainly not for everybody, as many people find rust colors to be somewhat unpleasant. That aside, I think the main issue here is that the palette of deep oranges, reds and blacks does not evoke any associations with the city itself. It just doesn’t say “Toronto” to me.

I know that the vBulletin blue is dull and you were right to change it. Unfortunately, orange-based colours spark an unusually strong positive or negative reaction in people. People tend to really love them or really hate them, so you are likely to be alienating at least some of your potential audience with this choice. Also the use of the gradient is very generic and dated looking.

Screenshot2010-02-09at85348AM.png

Also, the phrase ‘Welcome to our planet’ is just a head-scratcher, and while I think I know what it means, I am not sure. Suffice to say that this confusion is not a good thing, when it comes to the art of branding! Either way, the phrase is distracting, and on bad days I find it annoying. At best: it doesn’t add anything to the site, and it takes up a vast amount of mental space.

The banner in general has ‘a lot going on’ to put it mildly, but unfortunately none of it underscores the strength and meaning of the site. In other words for all its busyness, there is not one thing on the banner that says “Toronto”, other than the name of the site itself, and a very artificially coloured and generic skyline shot that is no better than the worst kind of postcards found at tourist destinations (which is in any case buried under a mountain of photoshop filters).

Screenshot2010-02-09at94938AM.png

The planet image on the left is extremely low def looking, and the smeared city lights across the surface seem meaningless and are just adding to the clutter. There's a random sunrise effect on top left, even although the entire surface edge of the earth is already illuminated! And then there's a lonely little line drawing of a crane sort of jammed into the end of the URL. At the most basic level, everything on the banner is just kind of just kind of fighting with everything else.

Anyway, something iconicly Toronto would be far stronger than the present mish mash. Please forgive the comparison but Torontoist’s use of landmarks like OCAD and yes, ‘The Tower’ seems smart, simple and memorable in comparison. Its no masterpiece but it immediately conveys what the site is all about.

Screenshot2010-02-09at95313AM.png

Also: Button mayhem and the problem of “chartjunk”.

Screenshot2010-02-09at101407AM.png

From the Wiki:

“Markings and visual elements can be called chartjunk if they are not part of the minimum set of visuals necessary to communicate the information understandably. Examples of unnecessary elements which might be called chartjunk include heavy or dark grid lines, unnecessary text or inappropriately complex fontfaces, ornamented chart axes and display frames, pictures or icons within data graphs, ornamental shading and unnecessary dimensions.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartjunk

Screenshot2010-02-09at101559AM.png

The doodads reach a kind of apotheosis in the ‘City Photos’ area. What are all those things? You’ve got 6 or 7 things happening in a miniscule little area. Each with its own colour, and each with its own drop shadow and shading! Yikes!

My overall point here is that I am left feeling that the present busyness of the site is actually undermining its very purpose, and the values that it upholds: the promotion of intelligent and inspired design and architecture and the embrace of very high standards. For me, the site is all about giving voice to a community that believes in the importance of these things.

I would suggest to you that at present the redo has actually muddied the water in this regard. To put it in architectural context: the present busyness of the site evokes the fussiness and over reaching of this:

edith-2.jpg

More than the simplicity, elegance and quality represented by this.

18Yorkville_tall.jpg

Anyway, just my two cents. Rip it to shreds if you like, but I just wanted to put it out there.

Last edited:

Back