8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

cruzin4u

Member Bio
Reaction score
Driving around in North York, I've noticed many gas stations disappearing (mostly Petro Canada from what I have seen). So I had a few questions...

Petro Can @ Bayview / Steeles

bayview_steeles.jpg

This gas station is old and sits on a gold mine of land. It hasn't been given a face lift in years, so I'm wondering what the future of this station is. I'm assuming it'll be gone within a few years, maybe earlier. Anyone have some info on a possible future development at this location?

Petro Can? @ Bayview / Finch (north on Bayview)

bayview_finch.jpg

I noticed this gas station is pretty much 'dead'. I believe I saw a notice of application message in the area. Being that there are power lines right beside this station, I'm curious what could be in the works? (Tim Hortons? Townhomes? 5-6 Story Buildings?).

Petro Can? @ Sheppard / Vic Park

sheppard_vicpark.jpg

Noticed the station is also kaput and the land to the east is for sale. The only thing is, Johnny's Hamburgers is left sitting on some great land. Would Johnny's ever move, given the right price? It would be a shame, as it's a landmark. Thoughts?

I was a little bored and I am genuinely curious about these sites, so if you think this thread is pointless, I apologize. :)

Only two of these sites are in North York :)

If memory serves me correctly, Kirkor is advertising the land on Sheppard east of VP as build to suit mini office buildings.

Last night, while lying in bed, I was like damn I should have put GTA in the title of the thread.

I noticed a somewhat large amount of development on Sheppard, east of Victoria Park. In particular, I noticed what looked like a condo development being proposed just east of Victoria Park on the North side of Sheppard where there are already a few older buildings. I couldn't catch a glimpse of the proposed development (the name).

So then, is Johnny's a part of that land advertised?

Thanks for the info!

AFAIK, Johnny's is not for sale.

You're probably thinking of this condo at Chichester: http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=7341&highlight=chichester

A bit to the east, there's also this proposal: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2007/sc/bgrd/backgroundfile-1210.pdf

Excellent!

I see the development has already been talked about. I thought it was a bit of an odd location, especially with the older style buildings around, but if the subway is extended further east like you mentioned, it makes total sense.

Thanks for the link to the other proposal as well! I was wondering what was going to happen with Don Foster's defunct dealership. That's a great plot of land and a very nice proposal. Old people love their lobster :)

It's unfortunate that most gas stations sit at prime locations, but as long as there are cars, there will be gas stations. All that the city can do is try to encourage the strategic placement of future and even current gas stations. For example, the Goodwill site just east of Jarvis and Richmond would be a less prominent location for a gas station than the actual intersection of these streets.

Gas stations will always go at intersections for visibility and to get traffic from at least two directions.

That said, am I the only one who visualizes a future transit station at Vic. Park and Sheppard? Now would possibly be a good time for the city to secure this site.

If the city insists on Transfer City on Sheppard (the one part of the plan which I have a strong objection to), then the subway should go as far as Vic Park with an easier connection between subway and LRT. It'd reduce some of the effect of the addtional transfer, and there's an EA approved to go this far that only needs to be dusted off. The two platforms should be on top of each other.

I really doubt the stubway will be extended just to VP.

I can hardly imagine how forever royally screwed up traffic will be around Sheppard and VP/404 when there's a streetcar ROW running down the middle of the street...

I really doubt the stubway will be extended just to VP.

I can hardly imagine how forever royally screwed up traffic will be around Sheppard and VP/404 when there's a streetcar ROW running down the middle of the street...

I thought we were talking about gas stations:p

I heard the original EA, however, would have knocked out the gas station and Johnny's for a bus terminal.

(Sort of bringing it back on subject).

And how about all those Metro ambulance stations? Most look like old gas stations to me. There's also a whole lot of old gas stations all over the place that remain empty lots. There were a whole lot of these because of consolidation in the industry.

Some pics of the VP/Sheppard former gas station site and properties to the east

This was actually a former Esso station, not that it really matters. Petro Can is still open on the NW corner
DSC02920.jpg

To the east with Kirkor and an 'available build to suit' sign
DSC02911.jpg

Any gas station redevelopment is subject to brownfield remediation which can be quite costly, about $250,000 i've been told. I haven't heard what will happen on the VP/Sheppard site, but it would be wise for the City to snatch it up and hold it for a future subway station/terminal.

I'd love it if the Shell station at Yonge & York Mills go bye-bye, but I doubt it ever will...replacing this station won't accomplish anything in terms of improving the streetscape or making the area more urban, but it just offends my sensibilities to see a gas station on top of a subway station. Same goes for the gas station at the NW corner Don Mills & Sheppard. There's probably a lot more across the city.

I thought we were talking about gas stations:p

Miller, Munro, etc., are playing Russian ROWlette with this city...why not talk about it more often?

These ideally located gas stations are perfect targets for all the post-Transfer City 'Avenues' redevelopment that is expected to magically take place.

There is no chance of the Shell at Yonge and York Mills being changed to something else. It catches a lot of traffic coming north on Yonge, just before hitting the 401. As fewer and fewer gas bars and stations survive in the "inner city" (say south of Hogg's Hollow along Yonge) a strategic location like this one wouldn't be given up.

Don Mills and Sheppard ... I tend to agree with you more, although I don't know what would go there in its place. It's on the wrong side to get the traffic heading on to the 404.

Let's face it, gas bars are not the most attractive land uses, but we need them, especially near the freeways.

It's funny seeing Johnny's just sitting there all alone. Jonny's should have bought the land and paved a parking lot :p (god knows they get super busy during the Summer). Do you think if Johnny's relocated, that it would be the demise of their business?

I remember when the gas station at Don Mills and Sheppard was demolished. I thought they were going to develop a few condo towers, but the gas station only got bigger.

What I don't quite get is the condo development at the old 'Fish House' location. That location is pretty much commercial, with office buildings all over. They are even demolishing an office building to fit these towers in. Funny how there was a fire at the 'Fish House' during the time of the proposal.. Looks like someone took out a nice insurance policy and then jumped ship to the new location on Woodbine :).

Back