News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The 2009 conference G20 in London was £7.2 million = $11 million CAD

How the hell can Toronto's cost over $1 billion then?

VIA Rail Canada to move Toronto operations during the G20 Summit...

Everyone: On June 3rd VIA Rail Canada issued a press release about the relocation of all their rail operations outside of Toronto Union Station during the time of the G20 Summit.

I now think that Union Station will indeed be closed during that period similar to how North Station in Boston was closed during the 2004 Democratic National Convention and I am expecting GO Transit and the TTC to make alternate plans public soon.

The link tio the VIA press release can be found here:
www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/me...ions-relocated-to=avoid-congestion-during-g20

A forum discussion is under way at a rail site that I belong to:
www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=72725
I found the link to the VIA press release along with this newly posted topic.

Long Island Mike

Who wants to place bets that the security cameras installed for the Summit will not be coming down afterward? Welcome to your future police state.

The 2009 conference G20 in London was £7.2 million = $11 million CAD

How the hell can Toronto's cost over $1 billion then?

Likely the London cost was the marginal cost, whereas the Canadian cost is full cost accounting. That would likely bump London up to the pretty normal ~$300 million range, just like Japan spent for the last summit. So yeah - $1 billion is way too much because they decided to do two locations but comparing to the marginal cost elsewhere is disingenuous.

Yet even more traffic headaches for the 400-series Highways

http://www.g8-g20isu.ca/g20/traff-circ-eng.htm

Traffic Management

The Integrated Security Unit is working to provide a safe and secure environment for the G20 Summit.

To keep traffic flowing as efficiently as possible, a traffic management strategy has been created to guide vehicles away from the security perimeters surrounding the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

Every effort is being made to keep these traffic restrictions to the bare minimum.

The traffic management strategy includes:

The 400-series Highways will not be closed. However, there will be intermittent restrictions on Highway 427 to accommodate motorcade Motorcadetravel. On Saturday, June 26, 2010, these restrictions will be ongoing throughout the day and significant traffic disruption is anticipated.

The Gardiner Expressway will not be closed. However, there will be intermittent restrictions to accommodate motorcade travel. On Saturday, June 26, 2010, the eastbound York, Bay, Yonge Streets exit will be closed. On Sunday, June 27, 2010, the westbound York Street exit will be closed.

Lakeshore Boulevard will not be closed. However, there will be lane restrictions between Bay Street and Bremner Boulevard to accommodate a pedestrian walkway. There will be officers posted at three “cuts” in this walkway to facilitate vehicle access. These gaps will be at: the entrance to the ACC/Maple Leaf Square underground, Bremner Boulevard and the exit from the ACC/Maple Leaf Square underground.

Other roadways within the area of King Street, Yonge Street, Queens Quay and Spadina Avenue will experience closures or restrictions. Parking in this area will be severely restricted. Members of the public should note changes to parking signs in the area and failure to adhere to these changes could mean a relocation of your vehicle. Please call 416-808-2222 if your vehicle has been relocated.

I work in one of the bank towers and having heard the military and police reports of all the security precautions taking place around the city (and beyond), I am not surprised at the bill. The complexity of this coordinated operation is mind-boggling. And we should be thankful for it. If anything happens to an attendee, let alone a head of state, it would be a total disaster for the city and especially the country.

I believe Canada has a responsibility to pull our weight in putting on these big events. It's costly but it's important, and why should we sluff off the responsibility and expense to someone else? Isn't our economy recovering faster than any of our industrialized counterparts? Canadians need to stop navel-gazing and griping about costs, and show some pride in hosting the world.

And don't forget, the title of host gives you clout in imporant negotiations. This will give Canada a much stronger voice than our economic size or population would normally warrant. The price is worth it, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Got notice that my rooftop will be closed during that week. Yay for potential snipers on the roof!

Everyone: On June 3rd VIA Rail Canada issued a press release about the relocation of all their rail operations outside of Toronto Union Station during the time of the G20 Summit.

The link tio the VIA press release can be found here:
www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/me...ions-relocated-to=avoid-congestion-during-g20

Thanks for pointing that out.

Trains will be terminating at Oshawa, Oakville, Brampton, and Oriole, depending on the line. This is absurd! At very least they could have made stop-gap use of GO stations and terminated at Danforth, Exhibition/Mimico, and Bloor/Dundas West!

Trains will be terminating at Oshawa, Oakville, Brampton, and Oriole, depending on the line. This is absurd! At very least they could have made stop-gap use of GO stations and terminated at Danforth, Exhibition/Mimico, and Bloor/Dundas West!
They could have run into their own Guildwood station as well. Though perhaps it would create too much havoc with GO trains. Particularly as I'd expect GO trains to be terminating at Danforth and Mimico before this is over.

It really makes no sense to me that GO Trains and buses are running as scheduled into Union, but not VIA service. So odd. Apparently this was VIA's decision?

On a lighter note, a bit of G20 humor from the Zanzibar:
27717_10150188420555431_523960430_12666648_6285016_n.jpg

It really makes no sense to me that GO Trains and buses are running as scheduled into Union, but not VIA service. So odd. Apparently this was VIA's decision?
VIA said that they have a lot of passengers who arrive at Union with luggage, and many with mobility devices, and need assistance and transport. This is not the case with GO.

Though I can't imagine GO is going to actually run through Union ... when push comes to shove.

VIA said that they have a lot of passengers who arrive at Union with luggage, and many with mobility devices, and need assistance and transport. This is not the case with GO.

Though I can't imagine GO is going to actually run through Union ... when push comes to shove.

Will be easier to run through Union than the old Coach terminal (for the buses obviously). Unless the subway is shut down due to an attack or wafting tear gas it is still the best option. It isn't like the exhibition Go station won't be a security nest as well with most of the media being stationed there.

Will be easier to run through Union than the old Coach terminal (for the buses obviously).
I'd assume that GO (and Via) would be using the existing bus station at Union Station which on the far side of Union Station from all the action.

Unless the subway is shut down due to an attack or wafting tear gas it is still the best option.
I'd agree; though I wonder how well the YUS will run from Bloor to St. George.

It isn't like the exhibition Go station won't be a security nest as well with most of the media being stationed there.
I'd think that they'd be using Mimico as a terminal, if anything - what with the extra platform, and room to park buses, etc.

Why is this all being blown out of proportion? It's not like there's going to be a terrorist attack or bombs going off. At the worst it's going to be protestors and their usual tricks.

Back