News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think the Police completely fucked up by letting the damage happen on Saturday, and then overcompensating on Sunday.

Yes, the logistics assoicated with identifying people cloaked in black are complex, so that's why you STOP THEM IN THE ACT. They had hundreds of bodies, sophisticated equipment, and months of training, yet were outsmarted by a bunch of stinky anarchists.

What the Police were doing was apparently not too effective in hindsight.

Maybe the police strategy should have been to allow the protesters to approach the fence and when they touched it spray them with the sort of dye that is used in currency bombs that banks use to stain stolen money. I understand that this dye doesn't wash off for a very long time providing the Police with an indelible record of who was up to no good regardless of what they were wearing. Let it be known that anyone showing stains will be arrested.

Buildup: Seriously? there's post after post of examples. I'm not sure if you're just illiterate or ignorant. But since you obviously have turned a blind-eye to page after page of examples here's a couple:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/06/28/g20-rosenfeld-police.html
http://rabble.ca/news/2010/06/eyewitness-accounts-police-brutality-and-indiscriminate-arrests
http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/06/27/12572/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...orm-penned-in-at-queen-street/article1621255/

Brutality is anything that goes beyond what you should expect from the police. It's deplorable that you think people need to die or have serious life-threatening injuries or that we need a Tianaman Square type of incident for the actions of this weekend to be considered brutality. For the innocent people who were attacked, detained and so on, the brutality was real, even if you and your ignorance doesn't think so.

I scanned your articles, very tame stuff, even without discounting the "tall tales" effect. My point stands that if 5,000 huge violent cops were brutalizing completely innocent civilians there would be PHYSICAL EVIDENCE. I've seen three person bar altercations cause more injuries. You have described brutality, if that terms means anything, where is evidence?

Thanks for your post Mike in TO. All the photographers on our streets have proved more useful than the dozens of CCTV cameras put up in and around the core. Queen/Spadina on Sunday was a huge over-reaction. If black bloc protesters were seen in that crowd, why didn't they pull them out and let everyone else go?

Because then you would be saying the Black Bloc's rights were violated.

Fantastic report Mike in TO (#658). I would say it's the best piece on the riots I've read or seen so far. I hear your concern about whole blocks burning down. You would hope that the police would secure an area if it was quickly so that fire trucks could get there, but after seeing cop cars burn for what 15-20 minutes before any large police presence who knows what would have happened?

The CBC had an interview with Jesse Rosenfeld (who sometimes writes for the Guardian) after he was released:
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/ID=1532039797

I keep hearing city officials say it should have been at the CNE grounds but I don't know how this would have made things different other than spreading the protests through the westend. They, especially Miller, keeps saying it would have been contained as if the Convention centre wasn't. All it would have done was save a few bucks on a fence and spread out the police.

My thoughts...

What a horrible weekend for Toronto. I would like to forget it as soon as possible. I chose not to leave my condo and my immediate neighbourhood, and I'm glad -- satisfying my curiosity would not have been worth ending up in that stinking "detention centre" for a night. However, before I move on, I feel a need to vent my thoughts on a few things.

Firstly, after weeks of preparation (including a billion dollars spent, a massive disruptive fence, tens of thousands of police, constant ID checks of law-abiding citizens on their way to work, etc.) why did the police suddenly seem so stunned when about about 100 kids actually started committing the exact crimes they were supposedly anticipating? Why did they wait until only after those criminals dispersed to suddenly crack down harshly by stopping, searching, "corralling", and detaining hundreds of non-violent protesters, passersby, tourists, and accredited members of the press, even though many of these people appear to have little to nothing in common with the "black bloc"?

I'm usually the first to snort at conspiracy theories of any sort, but it does strike me as odd that those police cars were left abandoned in key intersections for so long, practically taunting the troublemakers to light them on fire. Only once the fires were left burning long enough for the press to photograph and broadcast them live on TV did the police finally react. It is not a stretch to say that the fear caused by these fires was useful to the police as it turned public sentiment totally in their favour and gave them a carte blanche to operate as they pleased for the rest of the weekend, with almost all rights of peaceful assembly tossed out the window from that point on.

Secondly, for who seem to feel that anyone who went near a protest deserved to be detained regardless of their intentions, please remember that we are talking about a huge swath of the city, home to hundreds of thousands of people, and filled with thousands of businesses, restaurants and bars that were fully open and doing business throughout. Queen and Spadina, for example, is many blocks from the security fence. Anyone who is not a violent anarchist who was caught in the baffling "corral" last night at that corner for four hours, given no explanations, no assistance, and finally released without charge, are damned right to be angry. The only thing that separates many of those people from you and me is that we live elsewhere or chose to walk on a different corner that night. What I saw on TV broadcast live during that event is simply not acceptable.

What the anarchist vandals did was disgusting, and they should be arrested, charged, and jailed. However, what happened to hundreds and hundreds of other mostly innocent Torontonians this weekend is equally disgusting to me. The police cannot take out their frustrations on one group of people because another group committed crimes the day before. It is not anti-police or radical leftism to expect that the police be transparent and forthcoming about they way they acted. If mistakes were made and many innocent people had their rights violated, the people responsible for this should be held accountable. Policing may be difficult, but our officers are supposedly well-trained and well-compensated for that reason. The information given to the public by the police throughout the weekend was convoluted and inconsistent and gave the impression that the police were either misleading us, or incompetent: "we did fire rubber bullets, no we didn't, actually we did, we used teargas, no it was a 'muzzle shot', wait, actually it was a smoke bomb". Now their claims that people were given many opportunities to leave Queen and Spadina is beginning to sound hollow in the face of the different stories told by countless other witnesses.

Finally, I am alarmed at how many Canadians seem perfectly happy to toss away so many of their fundamental freedoms (to congregate, to dress in any colour they please, to walk their neighbourhoods without being subjected to unwarranted searches or detainment, to be told why they are being arrested and detained, etc.) at the slightest hint of broken windows or adolescents in black hooded sweatshirts. I am disappointed that so many Canadians cannot tell the difference between criminals and peaceful protestors, and that the very act of protesting seems to be an act worthy of arrest in many people's eyes. That many Canadians also have no problem with the fact that laws were sneakily passed specifically to undermine some of our rights, and then only publicized the day of the event, is equally astonishing to me.

These are my thoughts in their long-winded entirety. I'm moving on now, trying to get back to enjoying the city I love without lettings these events cast a slimy shadow on certain corners in the city forever.

Fantastic report Mike in TO (#658). I would say it's the best piece on the riots I've read or seen so far. I hear your concern about whole blocks burning down. You would hope that the police would secure an area if it was quickly so that fire trucks could get there, but after seeing cop cars burn for what 15-20 minutes before any large police presence who knows what would have happened?

The CBC had an interview with Jesse Rosenfeld (who sometimes writes for the Guardian) after he was released:
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/ID=1532039797

I keep hearing city officials say it should have been at the CNE grounds but I don't know how this would have made things different other than spreading the protests through the westend. They, especially Miller, keeps saying it would have been contained as if the Convention centre wasn't. All it would have done was save a few bucks on a fence and spread out the police.

ok, this guy is delusional. He actually claims to have been beaten "numerous times". He must have been a real pest, desperate to get into the Gulag. "Many beatings" received, this is hysterical. He was deprived of food and water for 5 hours? Does that qualify as "deprived" - hell that's me right now! Lastly he thinks he was held because of some left-wing articles he's written for the Guardian. Trust me, no-one has ever heard of him.

That's not what the link says at all. It questioned why they were abandoned where they were and why they were allowed to burn so long, but NOT that the police actually torched the cruisers themselves.

Sorry, I meant to say "they indirectly torched them".

I can't recall a more disruptive Sunday afternoon in simply ages. The irritating authorities certainly made the most of their control of airspace over Riverdale, constantly buzzing about overhead while my neighbours and I were in our back gardens, weeding, picking berries and installing a fountain. And at one point I was all of a tizzy at news that a rabble was apparently heading up Logan Avenue in our direction; I don't mind people dropping by the Summer Palace unannounced, and I've entertained the odd multitude in my time, but some advanced notice for large numbers like that is always appreciated.

ok, this guy is delusional. He actually claims to have been beaten "numerous times". He must have been a real pest, desperate to get into the Gulag. "Many beatings" received, this is hysterical. He was deprived of food and water for 5 hours? Does that qualify as "deprived" - hell that's me right now! Lastly he thinks he was held because of some left-wing articles he's written for the Guardian. Trust me, no-one has ever heard of him.

Ok, your reaction here pretty much solidifies the suspicion that you have a horse in this race. Are you a cop? Steve Paiken, TVO host, witnessed the beating.... I'm sure he's delusional too?

Trust me, no-one has ever heard of him.

Trust him...because he said so....don't trust anyone else though, not even yourself...you must trust an anonymous internet poster....without question.

One of the nicer aspects of the protests was that they worked as a diversionary tactic to draw people away from that other great show of armed force, the ROM's The Warrior Emperor and China's Terra Cotta Army exhibition. I arrived at 2:55 on Saturday afternoon and breezed into the exhibit at 3:00 pm. And on Sunday I went back again - arriving at 11:00 a.m. and going right in.

Fabulous show. Best the ROM has done in ages!

... and when I left the Museum on Saturday at 4:45 the riot squad ( or whoever those men in uniform lined up outside were ... ) were just putting on their gas masks - though the road to the south of them was entirely empty save for a few pigeons. I dropped into Vuitton and Tiffany on the way over to Yonge, ducked through Holts and down into the concourse, and then couldn't get through to the Yonge / Bloor subway because they'd closed the doors. I doubled back but they'd also closed the subway entrance at Bay station. Honestly, what a nuisance.

Back