News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Even London (which used to have a AA team and is "the oldest continually operating baseball grounds in the world") or Buffalo would have worked. Ya they wouldn't have the revenue generation, but you could definitely do some interesting marketing around games held in such small venues.

I'm wondering what the economic effect of this event is going to be... The area is now losing 100,000 people during that weekend with the Jays not playing there. How much of that can be made up by the thousands of media who will be in the area? Also, isn't this the first weekend school is out for the kids?

It's disappointing, but I have to suggest that anyone who ventures near the convention centre during this period is nuts. Apologies to those who actually live there!

Even London (which used to have a AA team and is "the oldest continually operating baseball grounds in the world") or Buffalo would have worked. Ya they wouldn't have the revenue generation, but you could definitely do some interesting marketing around games held in such small venues.

I'm wondering what the economic effect of this event is going to be... The area is now losing 100,000 people during that weekend with the Jays not playing there. How much of that can be made up by the thousands of media who will be in the area? Also, isn't this the first weekend school is out for the kids?

How big is the park in London? I suggested Ottawa because they have a fairly new(ish) modern AAA facility and it could be a good opportunity to market the Jays as the province's team.....but if London had a suitable venue that would work too.

This is such terrible timing. I bet the Jays are extremely frustrated that they had to do this. It might have been one of the better attended series all season, depending on whether the Jays get into a pennant race. (Not likely if they keep getting slaughtered by New York and Boston all season.)

100,000? No chance unless Halladay was starting all three games, and even then I doubt it.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=3015619
Given the expected road closures, lack of parking, potential subway closures and limited access in the area, Beeston said it would be difficult for the expected crowds -- of up to 90,000 over three games -- to make it to Rogers Centre.

Beeston also gave that number on the Fan and in another quote said "maybe more if Doc is pitching". Considering the numbers they've been getting, do you really think Beeston would throw out such a high number if it wasn't probable?

there's this really cool thing now called Google. Give it a try. I did and found this in less than 30 seconds:
g20_summit_stati_625281artw.jpg

well I see no reason for it. Beeston is a pretty honest and well-respected guy and to make a claim about something so insignificant seems very unlike him.
Luckily, it looks like there is some organizing going on within the Jays fanbase, and there might be a caravan of Jays fans in Philly that weekend. I'm debating on going. Considering I might not be able to leave the house otherwise, it's sounding like a good idea.

Greetings all, long time reader, first time poster. ( sorry, I hate when people say that but I guess it's necessary for an introduction ). First off, let me briefly say how much I love this site, it's great to see the city I live in through other peoples eyes. The negative comments, the positive comments makes no difference to me, I value insight and other peoples opinions. I like to think I can see through the BS. Anyway, I was searching around stuff in regards to the G20 because I live in the area it's being hosted and have no desire getting mixed up in the cluster____ (fill in the bank) that's about to descend upon us. Through my search I stumbled upon the wiki page for said summit and one line jumped right out at me, some of you may appreciate it in a puzzling fashion as I have... "Toronto Police have decided to use a film studio on Eastern Avenue to temporarily detain arrested protesters during the summit."... priceless, as my wife and I both work in film and tv we have been wondering what's to happen to 629 Eastern/TFS. Now we know, albeit on a temporary basis but still I got a chuckle out of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_G-20_Toronto_summit it's almost at the bottom of the page...

Thanks for the great forum and giving me an excuse to waste more hours online, keep up the great work.

there's this really cool thing now called Google. Give it a try. I did and found this in less than 30 seconds:
g20_summit_stati_625281artw.jpg

This is the potential security area, not the confirmed. I am trying to find out if the area has been confirmed yet. When they released that map, they said it is not for sure that will remain the same.
Oh and by the way, no need for the snobbery thanks. I'm quite f*cking capable of researching, which is what I've been doing.

That's as good as you're going to get right now (that map was from a couple days ago). I live essentially on the border of the potential security zone and we haven't heard a peep yet.

They've said all along that they won't confirm anything until closer to the date. The terrorists could be googling too you know. :p

I'm within the potential security zone. They said they'd be meeting with residents, but since I haven't moved yet (I'm moving in 2 days), I don't know if they have or not. I'll have to ask the concierge if they know anything.

Back