News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

You can't guarantee that the above problems will occur. And as noted by Darwinkgo, their would be significant problems anywhere.

As for bad publicity, I don't agree. The protesters attend all these major events. So we won't be any different on that count. Toronto will be the centre of world attention. We've never held a gathering of this many world leaders, along with their staff and the worlds media.

The worlds attention. Isn't that the main reason cities want to host the Olympics and other large events? And what does New York, Paris, and London have in common? (World Centres). Many of us want Toronto's image to be that of a cosmopolitan city. And I don't think the exhibition grounds captures that.

As far as business losses are concerned, maybe their will be in the short run, but what is benefit in the long run?

E. B., please don't get me wrong: I hope the G20 goes off without a hitch, and I agree that a certain amount of protesting is par for the course and won't be held against Toronto. I'm also not necessarily saying that the Ex would have been a great location -- my point is simply that if the city of Toronto had been permitted to be a more active participant in the security and logistics planning, some of the frustration we are hearing now might have been reduced. I feel that these conferences are important (even if only symbolicly as discussed above) and I hope that everything comes together and the positives outweigh the negatives in the end.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tor...sponsibility-for-ottawa-bank-firebombing?bn=1

How in God's name does bombing the Glebe help natives in BC, the poor, or anyone else? I hope these guys get a very long prison sentence and maybe a high school education while they're inside.

Well, of course it doesn't. What these idiots are attempting to do is to legitimate their stupidity by using the perceived plight of others. It's an excuse to commit criminal activity, and should they kill someone in the process, they will feel free to blame someone else for the results. One thing is for sure, you won't see morons like this offering up any workable or reasonable solutions to what they claim is a problem. That's never their stock in trade.

with the amount of security it will take to secure a section of downtown toronto, for the same cost, they could have flew in the G20 leaders to TIA and built a luxury resort on the islands somewhere for the meeting. after everything wrapped up, we could have been left with a luxury resort!

is there a price tag for security costs for this event? (not just for the event, but also leading up to it)

with the amount of security it will take to secure a section of downtown toronto, for the same cost, they could have flew in the G20 leaders to TIA and built a luxury resort on the islands somewhere for the meeting. after everything wrapped up, we could have been left with a luxury resort!

Perhaps, but why reinvent the wheel?

We have lots of luxury hotels already in the downtown core.

i was talking about the toronto islands. fly them in to toronto island airport and have the event on the islands in a newly constructed hotel. when theyr'e done, we get a hotel out of it for the savings in security costs of hosting the event on an island.

i was talking about the toronto islands. fly them in to toronto island airport and have the event on the islands in a newly constructed hotel. when theyr'e done, we get a hotel out of it for the savings in security costs of hosting the event on an island.

Even if the cost of building a hotel on the island was equal to the security bill we are facing for this event (and I doubt that)....it presumes that there would be no security cost on the island at all? I get your frustration and this idea may just be flowing from that but it hardly seems doable!

Even if the cost of building a hotel on the island was equal to the security bill we are facing for this event (and I doubt that)....it presumes that there would be no security cost on the island at all? I get your frustration and this idea may just be flowing from that but it hardly seems doable!

there would still be a cost but i think it would be less compared to locking down a section of downtown toronto.

Amid G20 security concerns, CN Tower to be shut.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...s-CNTower-100519/20100519/?hub=TorontoNewHome

The CN Tower will be closed during the G20 Summit next month because of security concerns, marking the latest in a series of closures ahead of the high-level meetings.

The tower will be shut from June 25 to 27, and will reopen on June 28 to the public.

The announcement comes as concern grows over security at the summit.

Canadian banks are also on alert after an RBC branch was firebombed in Ottawa early Tuesday morning. A group calling themselves anarchists has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The fire caused about $300,000 worth of damage to the bank. The group that claimed responsibility said it bombed the bank because it was a major corporate sponsor of the 2010 Games in Vancouver.

Michel Juneau-Katsuya, a former CSIS analyst and a terror expert, said that the Ottawa incident will likely affect the way security officials undertake G20 preparations.

He said finding suspects in that case will be a top priority in the lead-up to the Toronto meetings.

Toronto Staff-Supt. Jeff McGuire said that despite the prospect for violence, officers will be ready.

McGuire said that officers are well-trained and well-equipped to deal with any outbreaks during the meetings.

Still, McGuire said that police are not expecting a large contingent of violent protesters.

Officials won't say how many officers will be brought in to Toronto to police the summit, and they won't reveal the location of their secret security command centre.

It is expected that the command centre will have access to the dozens of new security cameras that have been put recently.

The Toronto Blue Jays have also been forced to play a series with the Philadelphia Phillies out of town during the summit.

Meanwhile, police say that they will use "un-scalable" fences, similar to those used during the Molson Indy race, to keep crowds away from secure areas.

The meetings between leaders from the world's most powerful countries will mostly occur in the downtown area, clustering around the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

Back