News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

see above..

• Changes Every Day

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Changes every two weeks

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

The price of gas is going to hit summer road trippers. I've been wfh since Covid started in March 2020 so my car has nearly square tires I think, but soon I'll need to start driving for work again. I'm not looking forward to $2 a litre and up for the next year. Of course in Europe people have been paying that price for years and they figure it out and keep on buying and driving cars.

Maybe there's hope...

Europeans drive small cars that have very small consumption compared to the giant gas guzzlers people drive here and in the US. People will moan and complain about gas prices but it won't stop them from spending a fortune on oversized vehicles they don't need.

Was able to cut my entire yard front and back and my neighbours front lawn on one charge.
When we bought our house in 1998 the first thing I did was to remove all the grass, replacing it with ground cover plants and permeable stones. Too many memories of pushing my Dad's mower for hours as a lad.

We just got one too. So much quieter. We also have a deposit on a plug in hybrid but that’s going to be a hot minute.
A buddy is awaiting his hybrid Hyundai. Every month for the past six months he gets an email that says his vehicle will be ready this month.

Europeans drive small cars that have very small consumption compared to the giant gas guzzlers people drive here and in the US. People will moan and complain about gas prices but it won't stop them from spending a fortune on oversized vehicles they don't need.

I am actually glad that gas prices are finally reflecting the cost of the externalities that hydrocarbon combustion and large vehicles impose on society and the environment. Sadly, I don't think most people will learn.

We just got one too. So much quieter. We also have a deposit on a plug in hybrid but that’s going to be a hot minute.

As somebody who drives a hybrid, I'm so over it. Want full electric next go. The cost savings on maintenance and fuel costs are just not worthwhile. And I live in a condo with no direct charging access! I'm still willing to go sit at Starbucks for 30 mins a week while full fast charging.

During the pandemic, I drove to work after many years of commuting by bike. I'm now back on the bike and loving it. I was getting sick of paying more and more for gas, and I now have the added benefit of getting into better shape and also happily zipping past all the cars sitting in increasingly horrific traffic in this city. I never should have stopped.

As somebody who drives a hybrid, I'm so over it. Want full electric next go. The cost savings on maintenance and fuel costs are just not worthwhile. And I live in a condo with no direct charging access! I'm still willing to go sit at Starbucks for 30 mins a week while full fast charging.
We do a lot of long distance driving so weren’t ready to make the plunge just yet. This way our most expensive driving (in town) will not require gas, but we won’t have to stop for 2-3 hours during a full driving day talked too a friend who just went full electric and who drives similar distances, and he said the struggle is real when it comes to finding charging in some areas, such as NE Ontario.

We do a lot of long distance driving so weren’t ready to make the plunge just yet. This way our most expensive driving (in town) will not require gas, but we won’t have to stop for 2-3 hours during a full driving day talked too a friend who just went full electric and who drives similar distances, and he said the struggle is real when it comes to finding charging in some areas, such as NE Ontario.

True. Have looked at the Ivy Charging network being built by Hydro One and whether that would cover your needs in Northern Ontario?

You might just be a year or two out from adequate coverage.

Not yet. Still researching so thanks for that. We also travel in the US and some areas definitely have better coverage than others.

It does seem the worst of both worlds. With a hybrid you've still got an engine with its transmission and ignition, cooling, lubrication, exhaust and emissions systems; plus an electric car's heavy weight and space consuming batteries and electric motors. Seems contradictory, akin to a vegan who shoots koala bears for sport.

Not yet. Still researching so thanks for that. We also travel in the US and some areas definitely have better coverage than others.
My plan is to get an all electric for the city and just rent cars with unlimited kms for the big cross country and USA trips. I'd rather beat up the rental than wear out my own cars anyway.

Back