News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Just think of the magnetic field around that thing.

Think of the magnetic field surrounding the earth...or any conductor carrying a current, or an electric motor, speakers....the list goes on.
What's the fear?

Well for me, I prefer gas - I went for one of the semi-professional models (i.e. Wolf), if I were purchasing now - I would consider blustar(?) which has the highest BTU burners out there (mine max at 15K). Unfortunately I am limited by room. I prefer ranges without all the toys on it.... The only electronics that can break down - the starters and the lights. I remember my parents having electric versions, and the repair people had to be called for the oven temperature probe (never worked great), the coils etc. Now induction is just a newer (less tested) version -- but why go for something that is more likely to break down? Is induction better? Maybe it is easier to clean - but the complete top of my stove comes apart easily for cleaning if I want :p I do have an induction hot-plate but I would not consider getting an entire range that way :rolleyes:

Now if you don't have gas, and cannot get it - then induction is a good second choice since it is as good at controlling heat as gas.

Yes much better control and much more efficient than gas.

How can you have better control than gas, does it cool the pan when turned off? Coils yes, because those just continue to retain heat after the knob is turned, but gas no.

Gas uses less electricity :rolleyes:

BTW, which cooktops have "wok" shaped induction tops (also - what woks do they fit, since not all woks have the same shape)?

Now even my Wolf Range is a compromise, I would have got a restaurant grade 50+K BTU burner if I could have fit it in ..... but I couldn't. I only have room for the small size - so I had to leave out the grill (although I prefer charcoal - that just does not work inside :eek:)

How can you have better control than gas, does it cool the pan when turned off? Coils yes, because those just continue to retain heat after the knob is turned, but gas no.

by controlling the energy that induces the eddy currents in the cookware.
It's a fact, even though you seem to be disturbed by it, that induction heaters are more efficient then gas. Gas is about 40% efficient, induction in the high 80's.
Your comment about coils indicates that you're not familiar with how induction stoves work.
BTW, can you simmer over a very low heat with gas...not using a "simmer plate" either. Can you maintian a fixed temperature in the cookware with gas? No , but you can with induction.

Apparently you need very powerful gas burners, since 60% of the heat energy is lost to the atmosphere.

Gas uses less electricity

Induction uses no gas ;)

by controlling the energy that induces the eddy currents in the cookware.
It's a fact, even though you seem to be disturbed by it, that induction heaters are more efficient then gas. Gas is about 40% efficient, induction in the high 80's.
Your comment about coils indicates that you're not familiar with how induction stoves work.
BTW, can you simmer over a very low heat with gas...not using a "simmer plate" either. Can you maintian a fixed temperature in the cookware with gas? No , but you can with induction.

Apparently you need very powerful gas burners, since 60% of the heat energy is lost to the atmosphere.

Induction uses no gas ;)

Not disturbed by it, just chose gas because it was the best for me. I don't really care what is more efficient from an energy transfer point of view, and gas and electric is hard to compare on cost since sometimes gas costs less, sometimes more. Again, you seem to think induction is better at all times - and it is not. It is a neat toy. I did not confuse coils and induction, you seem to have misread that part. I do have an induction hot-plate, it works better than coils - but I don't use it at home. Most of my cooking on the cooktop is wok based, and the hotter the better (although it gives you always have to pay attention). Most models of any type of range are poor at handling woks - it is always an afterthought, and often they have either a massive bald spot in the middle of the wok - or they have the wok sitting to far above the flame for gas.

>BTW, can you simmer over a very low heat with gas...not using a "simmer plate" either.

Yes, it goes down to 500 Btu (.1 kW)

Again, you seem to think induction is better at all times - and it is not.

Again, you seem to be attempting to put words in my mouth. I was simply dispelling the myths you hold on induction. You seem to think gas is the best...and it's not.

Yes, it goes down to 500 Btu (.1 kW)

In other words, no, you can't get the flame low enough.
how about maintaining a fixed temperature?...you skipped that question.

Again, you seem to be attempting to put words in my mouth. I was simply dispelling the myths you hold on induction. You seem to think gas is the best...and it's not.

In other words, no, you can't get the flame low enough.
how about maintaining a fixed temperature?...you skipped that question.

I don't know what your standard is for simmer, but the range does have a setting lower than low called simmer that is for Melting and holding chocolate and other delicate sauces - it is the centre flame only and it is very low. But to be quite honest, I rarely use it.

As for holding tempuratures - I was able to hold a pot of water at 50C for 2 hours - but it took some doing - but it was a cheap attempt of doing sous-vide - when I really should just get a water bath for that purpose. Again, I have not really worried about it.

The grill in the oven is great though - very even - a good substitute for a salamander grill :p

you guys are both wrong!

charcoal is the best to cook with. Mmmmmmmm carbontastic! way better than putting heated rocks from the fire inside a concave surface filled with water and using that to boil food or suspending animal carcasses over a lava flow.

you guys are both wrong!

charcoal is the best to cook with. Mmmmmmmm carbontastic! way better than putting heated rocks from the fire inside a concave surface filled with water and using that to boil food or suspending animal carcasses over a lava flow.

Outdoors you are right! I don't like using gas BBQs, I prefer charcoal. Unfortunately they are afraid people are going to suffocate themselves if they do it indoors (CO) :rolleyes:

indoors? what are ya, some sort of future boy? ;)

indoors? what are ya, some sort of future boy? ;)

I was attending some of the "iron chef" Taste of Nova Scotia competitions, and after asking 4 chefs if they prefer induction or gas - it is 4 to 0 gas over induction - so I am not the only one.... Of course this is not Toronto :rolleyes:

Wow! Your 4 person poll proves, without a doubt, that...a 4 person poll is absolutley useless and proves nothing.
Also, are you still going on about this?

Back