8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

luxome

Member Bio
Reaction score
The GE appliance i have has been great except the "Hot Cooktop" light indicator would not turn off even after leaving the appliance off overnight. I've also tried turning the breaker off, but it doesn't seem to solve the problem.

The warranty on the appliance is over. So if you know the answer, please kindly let me know.

Thanks in advance.

The GE appliance i have has been great except the "Hot Cooktop" light indicator would not turn off even after leaving the appliance off overnight. I've also tried turning the breaker off, but it doesn't seem to solve the problem.

The light won't go off when you kill the power?

I think it's possessed.

GE's slogan ("We bring good things to life") isn't just a figure of speech. Who knew?

I've also tried turning the breaker off, but it doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Did you turn off the right breakers? Removing the source of power would extinguish the light.

Is it possible the stove has 240v and 120v curcuit breakers attached to powering different parts of the stove (electronics 120v and heating elements 240v)? I got rid of my GE crap a few years ago and replaced it with a Wolf gas range (all gas except for maybe a few lights) :rolleyes:

i once had to identify a breaker for an electrical outlet so i plugged in a clock radio, turned up the volume and started to flip the breakers in the panel. i cycled through all the breakers but the radio wouldn't turn off! then i even hit the main breaker and shut off all the power but the music was still playing! :eek:

for a second, i was like WTF? i actually got scared (being overly religious back then and all) then i remembered that the clock radio had a 9v battery backup. :eek:

Is it possible the stove has 240v and 120v curcuit breakers attached to powering different parts of the stove

And if it's to code, they'd be ganged together.

get an induction stove, all the benefits of gas, but better control and much more efficient.

get an induction stove, all the benefits of gas, but better control and much more efficient.

don't they only work with certain cookware though? (% of iron content)

And if it's to code, they'd be ganged together.

All the benefits? No downside? Well, most of my cooking is done on woks (proper ones, not flat ones) - which influenced my decision.

Odd, the "hot surface" indicator light on our GE stove stopped working entirely a few weeks ago. Mine is recently out of warranty too, but even the threat of being burned hasn't spurred me to do anything about fixing it.

The light won't go off when you kill the power?

I think it's possessed.

Did you turn off the right breakers? Removing the source of power would extinguish the light.

lol, the light indicator does turn off when the breakers were switched off. But it comes back on after i turn the breaker back on. I turned it off when i went to bed and back on when i woke up, thinking that the longer i turn the breaker off the appliance would "reset".

I don't feel unsafe with the faulty light indicator. I just want to fix it so my tenants don't complain when they move in or give them the bad impression that i'm a bad landlord for not maintaining the place myself and expecting them to keep the place in good condition in return.

Last edited:
Just think of the magnetic field around that thing.

apparently it doesn't go that far, just far enough to heat up the ferrous cooking apparatus.

Back