News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Thanks for the share. It was a very worthwhile listen. The part about Calgary beginning to demand more quality out of developers was the most interesting part for me.

People have caught on that developers can do better. If I'm going to spend money buying a new condo I don't want to buy into a building where the design was simply 'mailed in'.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics, but all the construction fencing along 10th street in Kensington is now down and the sidewalks are just about finished, it looks great. It's so nice to have our sidewalks back along 10th .

Unfortunately I don't have any pics, but all the construction fencing along 10th street in Kensington is now down and the sidewalks are just about finished, it looks great. It's so nice to have our sidewalks back along 10th .

Nice, Kensington is starting to become a proper midrise neighbourhood. Ezra should join the cluster soon and looks like Minto and Anthem are applying for zoning on a couple new midrise in the area too.

Hope this means they can fast track 17th ave upgrades.

Good list of upgrades to Inglewood. Would assume the 8th Ave project has to do with upzoning to higher density adjacent to the main strip. Know that's one of the things the city is looking to do with the Main Streets initiative, and Inglewood is one of the areas they're currently focusing on. Neighborhood still has a long ways to go. Back in Europe again, in Amsterdam at the moment - another city that packs a huge amount of density with midrise/lowrise urban form, along with excellent transit, bike lane infrastructure and walkability. Follow the euro model!

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...rea-Projects.aspx?redirect=/inglewoodprojects

I noticed there is information coming regard Inglewood's 8th Avenue Laneway. Any info on this?

Odeon in Marda Loop

Image33-2.jpg

A few more of Odeon

2016 Sept 14 011.JPG 2016 Sept 14 017.JPG 2016 Sept 14 016.JPG 2016 Sept 14 015.JPG 2016 Sept 14 014.JPG

Attachments

• Image33-2.jpg
    Image33-2.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 587
  • 2016 Sept 14 011.JPG
    2016 Sept 14 011.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 213
  • 2016 Sept 14 017.JPG
    2016 Sept 14 017.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 204
  • 2016 Sept 14 016.JPG
    2016 Sept 14 016.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 218
  • 2016 Sept 14 015.JPG
    2016 Sept 14 015.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 237
  • 2016 Sept 14 014.JPG
    2016 Sept 14 014.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Well worth the listen but I sometimes question why people love the Vancouver model so much, I don't think it's all that great. The quality of some of their projects are are great, and they have great density going for them right in the downtown area but I don't find urban life all that great. Cities like Toronto, Montreal or Melbourne blow Vancouver out of the water.

I know that Strategic residential development is along the busy Trans Canada highway so not ideal for residential development, but that rendering looks inexcusably bad. Reminded of this podcast I listened to from Brent Toderian a few days ago stressing the importance of tying design into density. Interesting that he mentions Calgary transforming from a very American Dallas/Denver free market development approach in the early 2000's to a city now out Vancouvering Vanvouer in some ways.
http://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/09/06/talking-headways-podcast-the-vancouver-model/

Well worth the listen but I sometimes question why people love the Vancouver model so much, I don't think it's all that great. The quality of some of their projects are are great, and they have great density going for them right in the downtown area but I don't find urban life all that great. Cities like Toronto, Montreal or Melbourne blow Vancouver out of the water.

Thank you for reaffirming that I'm not the only one who thinks this! I really don't care for Vancouver's dense compact sea of ultra expensive, 30 something story glass condos that all look the same. I vastly prefer the urban fabric and urban build of cities like Toronto and Montreal over Vancouver's.

Back