News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Great development, I like the scale. I hope that Kensington get's serious on providing or attracting more affordable rental units, however. While the density increases with this proposal, they are replacing some of the lower-end rentals in the neighbourhood with something nowhere near as affordable to live in. Calgary doesn't care at all about gentrification compared to other cities for some reason - but you are looking at a small, very obvious example of it right here.

I still like the proposal and want it to go forward (condos being much more affordable than homes in the neighbourhood, of course) but I would like to see developments like this start including affordable housing requirements. Luckily the proposed city charter process will allow similar developments to be mandated to include affordable units/rentals.

Great development, I like the scale. I hope that Kensington get's serious on providing or attracting more affordable rental units, however. While the density increases with this proposal, they are replacing some of the lower-end rentals in the neighbourhood with something nowhere near as affordable to live in. Calgary doesn't care at all about gentrification compared to other cities for some reason - but you are looking at a small, very obvious example of it right here.

I still like the proposal and want it to go forward (condos being much more affordable than homes in the neighbourhood, of course) but I would like to see developments like this start including affordable housing requirements. Luckily the proposed city charter process will allow similar developments to be mandated to include affordable units/rentals.

I couldn't have said this better myself. As much as I like all the inner city developments in neighborhoods like Sunnyside, etc... the developments themselves tend to be expensive, and like you said they usually involve knocking down cheap housing. Mission has had the same issue over the years. A similar situation to Manhattan but on a small scale. Even the tall rental towers developments ion areas like the Beltline are expensive housing.

Not sure if I've seen these renders been posted, but along with their proposed development on the tail end of the Red Mile at 14th/17th, Arlington Street Developments is aggressively building up 17th Ave ... They've purchased the lots across from Tomkins Park and are proposing this (Royal Park):

1341.png

As well as purchasing the lot across from Trolly 5 where the Starbucks is for a project called High Street:

1190.jpg

They also own the building that contains The National and the property across the street where the coffee shop is, they want to redevelop it into The Fifth (or National Block II):

1447.JPG

I think those were posted earlier, but either way thanks for posting HEP. I don't recall seeing the middle rendering. It's very stylish. The only thing though is it takes a way from an already busy part of 17th ave. I wish that 723 proposal was going where the KFC is.

Yeah the middle one is the only one that's new to me as well. I'm in favour of the middle and bottom one, I'm on the fence about the top one. It's nice, but it's gonna kill one of the most eclectic parts of 17th. I'd rather see it further up or further down on 17th. That said, when the Royal, Ventus Block and Mount Royal Village rennovation are done, Tomkins park is going to have a different character. The top project might fit in better with those surroundings. I wonder if anyone has anything in store for the current Analog Coffee site.

Thanks for the renders HEP.

Add me to the list of those whole would rather see other lots developed instead. The middle and bottom proposal are on lots that are already busy...I suppose the bottom one would add retail to the 5th street side which would be good.

I was out for a walk on Sunday and grabbed a few cellphone shots of the work happening on the stampede grounds. Both buildings that they are currently working on were existing buildings that have been gutted and expanded.

20161023_165258_resized.jpg
20161023_165236_resized.jpg

This is going to be the Calgary Arts Academy when it is done.
20161023_165427_resized.jpg

The old three story brick apartment building that used to be right behind where the above picture was taken has been removed (Oliver House is still there).

I also grabbed a picture of the small retail building at the corner of 11 Ave SE and Macleod coming down.
20161023_170404_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20161023_165236_resized.jpg
    20161023_165236_resized.jpg
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 389
  • 20161023_165258_resized.jpg
    20161023_165258_resized.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 401
  • 20161023_165427_resized.jpg
    20161023_165427_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 409
  • 20161023_170404_resized.jpg
    20161023_170404_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 372
Welcome to the site Cyric. Thanks for sharing your shots. I haven't been by the grounds in a while. It looks like some of the planning is finally coming to fruition.

I haven't been by the grounds either. I'm surprised to see how much is going on. I hope the demo area along Macleod doesn't sit as an empty lot for 5 years.

Thanks for the updates Cyric, and welcome!

Back