News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The former Mongolie Grill building across the street from Park Central has been fenced off. Wasn't there a Genco proposal there years ago?
Gotta love it when a fence of death goes up around a terrible building in a prime location.

Ive noticed that the tenants of that building have cleared out recently so i hoped something might be happening. Although i thought the tailor was still in operation

pretty solid for a 2015 render

CB1ECDDE-CC55-4416-9D82-AB29DF3E943D.jpeg

Gotta love it when a fence of death goes up around a terrible building in a prime location.

Ive noticed that the tenants of that building have cleared out recently so i hoped something might be happening. Although i thought the tailor was still in operation
Have a hair cut scheduled in that building tomorrow. Will report back!

Before everyone get's too excited for Myriad, remember that a DP for a surface parking lot was recently approved at this location as well (despite what I thought was pretty clear policy in the Beltline ARP prohibiting new surface parking lots)......
original.jpg

Before everyone get's too excited for Myriad, remember that a DP for a surface parking lot was recently approved at this location as well (despite what I thought was pretty clear policy in the Beltline ARP prohibiting new surface parking lots)......
original.jpg
Oh look, the City continues to fold like a cheap lawn chair when it comes to city building and good planning while allowing garbage as an "interim use". Half of this city as it sits is an interim use. God forbid it remain a cheap retail building with interesting tenants that they put some lipstick on like the Tigerstedt Block. Nope, push the retail tenants out and put in a gravel parking lot, what horseshit.

But in the interest of trying not to just complain and provide a more interesting alternative for an interim use: work with interesting retail groups and paint the individual retail bays interesting colours and do cool handmade looking signage, add lighting features like string lights and planter boxes and benches out front. Maybe let some BUMP artists do something interesting on the sides and back of the building. Add some woods and warm materials in certain locations.
Something like this:
1644599867533.png

Rent out the upper floors for things like artist lofts and have interesting pop-up and retail and food tenants and allow them to add planters, cool signs or whatever else to make for an interesting pedestrian and shopping experience.
Treat it like old converted shopping streets like Kensingston Market or Roncesvalles in Toronto.
Sort of like a version of this:
Kensington_toronto-2-cb4870a4b31c.jpg

Matt_Dosa_New_Brighton_Street_Art_800x80.webp

The landowner doesn't seem like creative thinkers who can make an interesting deals come to life and ,make a cheap, cheap re-envisioning of this block happen, i hope they prove me wrong and don't make this a parking lot. Find some interesting tenants, make some good deals with TI Allowances and have flexibility in design, create a vision and execute on something. Frankly, this lack of vision or creativity from many of Calgary's landlords and owners of commercial properties, who would rather tear down a functional, street-oriented building without ever having tried anything but painting it beige and letting it fall apart is what keeps us from having interesting urbanism in our core. You have new apartments going in across the street, do you think they would generate more revenue with a funky shopping strip from those residents or a parking lot?

Last edited:
original.jpg
FFS, how effing backwards can it get?? Let’s clear out some businesses and tear down the building so we can put up another parking lot.

But i can tell you that would be a lot to ask from Genco, which the only quote on there website is from Colin Powell. They don't seem like creative thinkers who can make an interesting deal and cheap cheap reenvisioning of this block happen, i hope they prove me wrong and don't make this a parking lot. Frankly, this lack of vision or creativity from most of the City's landlords and owners of commercial properties, who would rather tear down a functional, street-oriented building without ever having tried anything but painting it beige and letting it fall apart is what keeps us from having interesting urbanism in our core. You have new apartments going in across the street, do you think they would generate more revenue with a funky shopping strip from those residents or a parking lot?
Very frustrating. I feel our corporatist downtown development culture does us such a disservice. It's a system that too often can only produce giant shiny towers or trashy parking lots in the core for decades.
FFS, how effing backwards can it get?? Let’s clear out some businesses and tear down the building so we can put up another parking lot.
Also very frustrating. I get a building sometimes needs to come down, but the development authority shouldn't have to offer the owner a replacement cashflow with a "temporary" parking lot approval.

HtAyewlZX_QtW-pUy-V6BOiJov5Fv4NKasNW3uOshWf3SdZNobhCsq2s4xLYqaoXeKt6V0A2dXDqYvbV9n6iahfMzkZxUjV_n7Rog3otIs5o-2Y-KWT2eQNI5YeVfzUQZJmsG9DPasCmyB1jgY-2aHDDtQ5PgewuaLsK0ju9u2khoQpyrmUA_44s_GjGB-WYG_HX_dP-5rlMyQDTXTBj6PXoN9WR87M0NGzVcvVzVXOosG-6fQS5WC9wTMco4blQkIzQ0v4nBFd4YXsreKy5TJgX_5EUMz_4RcmSL7l4Rds37Agu00Bj-M9ecCTjcrhvYXAl1joME7MVoGd_LZW1yFKny2yWNZU0_4TzMEJNJVwBb-A_nJPid2ImsGhcCWsrw4y4Y3IaCV0O3D3x-_sR3cuYuHAmaykj0YaBHcda4ocik14YctCZRDSU1e4SR-ltioggEk9OkS_8RiMr3E-eoH9UT5r-hmk2hn_p7RRJoEqhTcr26s9yTfBJ_xWKzkiCX7xTUBDNNnMQ3qqnDSB8G-MPrLY6CibGHSTsClFabT_uiSULhTCBrYF5lPPxxjHcJAMwYUTmA5vkRiySAV5ZgvTp2jAGMheM73QY7_dmFdOaboRwiFaVOFLb_8ni0K0MjUckA7wQdZHQ9PAxI5Uk-6ZfnITdXjcoqMI43wBqTRHl1ImexLOLaQMHbaMbtB7ok-iwA4Y32k-8wt3N_LDPhb6_Ew=w1250-h937-no

yyM8y8KksJG8kOmfaUzK4u76-Pe2m62LMAVbBWzT65mtkW5pZqk-L26HaUg2e5g1LEkEnL1o3s50WlGiE6mWL3rAeO-P3QkRmtynCBf3qlg45nziaVUeA90oiKz0LFef41SxkVRo6nU7j6qZTF1rIiZRsFvNZfdo727IrjQBNSls--OanXxnh3_xxqsgrsBL0ign2zpJxeIdGEOEcfAV-12Rf2UpdanizGWweri58l0eubS0Zj3D0oTHjyPCP5PgPQfetHSyV8Q_mXMOxfjS6zNWujBgmo10yDSLGT-dAYUHyGsCazCoa3cxZvYV7xObY3O16xYNweN2BVeDdaIanz9t4UuR02a9MpTGQ3Oly-B0S2i2ZLrHLxNU9PMJScnuUUnRqQNYdl0-LpJfncSUXPZe9Z09x9nkUFjI5Jj1zAefcfXSMHjrrUs714ixJ3VhdovOZ-V357Bioz_3L7-_twIcdvvfxzoOEIpS3Wccq7bVxFX9N9ach0KXotzevnAAt-uwWELqRVC4X5Vugs6UEtGzuObh2gvm20Ri_YY9vsf7copzITM9VjQg2vhv925UgqbO57Z3h9b9GNApB5tSr7Nm55Oay5q-7UMDy9jpY-vN0e8IkuI3P5NB4Gf6TPivinP3XHJ4omLBpYAP_EhTLO_y_Hccy5lWtFA-xR9RKdSEHw9QGjnTZFm_0tu2UT0zSH_NBemvcKSqyu_AlXpnH33Uqg=w1250-h937-no

BoE25s1EAz_pS2TyMLYofHlpb5MttqGaL7sfWyuuF2Q_zLhnHu3bMmAW8M8_7qvTfUOyyHyxSnukZw1INgk32Dcm7WP3JESgM77eVC0mmQIGdtC2p3ScEO9AzcPmYMj9MdRC0og2TV2jb4ZTAlGts-DzOixuJli-07SwV6vti1twoHeEmkHn8vHY4wv8Mbl5PpMPoejk9OeesIyDjBpLPPETXWCrC17tyEC-KSgw6oqcGwF-cpV-QCxLyOYlgNih4WNfORjGr00foyMsQ6RFiWbsx2bbH1FSwuE5DMkh9xTdBsURoGPSHnaTOKXWQZnhSR_D7OP-r0RlPQx5jI8038qDXQ2p-nS_mi1hQ-dopa3v59vV8K6x2Hg66MFwobEs3mfGRk5MX1CWLhw7WHC6jQ3tmOgQc7iuOHLuGgfh80D12MnQgNyAUbMqLbuZEUJwPtGHCLDlzUEpA0w8HbhxozSZEeHwh9vBV0acToJBrvA5aO5NPYepAqtBxGYizoAndptESrsLOXF0PEXRkgZgRQHzGpiPq84JNsOcGIqKMuc3IjnDlDU_lzPxIVhqyoHwqQkJzh-udFo4M-JkuRuJ1IQDpeVutepf_DuvFyjPvZvOfUw0CJSDmIkifVNBZ0NxFJjEIgLzu6FicnTxEoxPW2pnPqaj2IR_R4KqA7wCs69AYCDQrtzJ0wtUO6oUhP5Id5azHIzNVWqr83tJRQn0G6Qc8A=w1250-h937-no

I suspect the entire site will be used as a laydown yard for Park Central. And then hopefully Royop flips it if they still own (and didn't just continue managing it). Last changed hands in 2019 for $7.7 million and was mortgaged, caveated, and the title documents were cleared up. Most recently the owner paid money to have the formal address changed. Without paying to pull the files hard to know, it is possible the moves were cleaning up the title and merging the parcels to make it less complicated legally to sell.

Last edited:
Very possible they could be seizing the opportunity to accommodate the construction workers working on Park central and The Oliver and other 4th street developments....... here's hoping that's not the case. 🤞

Last edited:
Oh, Jesus. How? Why?

Back