News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

is this process just a rubber stamp? really flies in the face of all the rhetoric that comes out of city hall. they seem to be pro parking as much as they are pro anything.
My impression when I worked there was that it was. Surface parking was seen as a good temporary use when a building had passed its useful economic life. There was even less scrutiny when a public agency like Transit or Police wanted a new surface parking lot.

My impression when I worked there was that it was. Surface parking was seen as a good temporary use when a building had passed its useful economic life. There was even less scrutiny when a public agency like Transit or Police wanted a new surface parking lot.
That is good to know. The City imo needs to grow a set of balls and ask for better temp uses. The problem is the landlord has done sweet f*** all to maintain or increase the attractiveness of the building to tenants. They have tried absolutely nothing with the buildings onsite and then claim they could be at "the end of there useful life". Crazy that older buildings in so many other city's landlords seem to half-ass maintain and keep useful for much longer, i suspect it is more of the conservative/corporate mentality of the landlord in this instance. Half of the subject site is literally already surface parking lot, why give them more? But i mean there must be so much demand for more surface parking there is just none nearby (red being surface parking or multi-storey parkade):
1644961855659.png

And here is Genco at the Pre-App for the surface parking temp use with the City, arguing it is "the end of the buildings useful life":

Re the DP for a parking lot on the Genco site (4 St & 11 Ave). This is what was planned for that site.
If parking is all they want to do with the site, then Myriad is either dead or Genco are in no hurry to bring it to market. It would explain why they have left the existing building without upkeep as they are still collecting rent in some of the space. For example, Ellis Don's site office for Park Central is on the upper floor. I would imagine after the 2nd tower is complete, the buildings will come down and then we will see if it stays parking indefinitely, or some other more motivated developer buys it from Genco. Like most people in this forum, I detest surface parking lots that take up more space in the inner city than they should.

Last edited:

Back