8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Steel up at the McDonald’s on 17Ave.

8D5F4AFB-1E90-4460-A32D-CD8626C12614.jpeg

Last edited:
They really shouldn't have approved this McDonalds. I remember then councillor Evan Woolley promoting the project, arguing that if McDonald's wasn't able to build another drive-thru, then they weren't going to do any renovations at all. From his view, it was better to have a new building, even if it was still a drive-thru.

In the end, we get a smaller, blander building. A significantly larger portion of the lot is now dedicated to cars. They didn't even remove the two-way driveway on 17th ave! What an absolute failure by all involved.

Evan Woolley promoting the project
He what?! Hope he got free Big Macs for a year.

Never ceases to amaze, why make your community better when you can make your local McDonald's franchisee richer? The McDonald's has been gone for months and I'm sure the surrounding community is no worse off, it may in fact be better off. Guess ole Evan forgot who he represents. Bye Felipe

They really shouldn't have approved this McDonalds. I remember then councillor Evan Woolley promoting the project, arguing that if McDonald's wasn't able to build another drive-thru, then they weren't going to do any renovations at all. From his view, it was better to have a new building, even if it was still a drive-thru.

In the end, we get a smaller, blander building. A significantly larger portion of the lot is now dedicated to cars. They didn't even remove the two-way driveway on 17th ave! What an absolute failure by all involved.
Ooh. Yeah. Um, I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there.

The new design has:
- More frontage on 17th for the building (25m vs existing 18m) creating an improved streetwall
- A reduction in the area dedicated to vehicles (1,170 m2 vs. existing 1,400 m2)
- Improved vehicular movements that solve the major issue with the previous design: cars in line for the drive-thru stacking onto the sidewalk and 17th, creating a hazard for pedestrians and drivers
- Improved landscaping
- The principal entrance now on 17th

And the added benefit of maintaining a drive-thru for area residents like myself! No, I do not work for McDonald's.

Should be walk up and drive through only. The inside at the old one was a shelter so no one actually ate in.
The McDonald's on Stephen Ave took away their seating because of the homeless -- inconveniencing all customers. I completely understand and would do the same,.... but what a piece of shit society we live in.

I agree, even though I sometimes use that McDonald’s times myself.
If the city didn’t approve it, and McDonald’s didn’t renovate or rebuild, someone else would’ve rebuilt there and it would’ve been store frontage instead of the drive-through.

The McDonald's on Stephen Ave took away their seating because of the homeless -- inconveniencing all customers. I completely understand and would do the same,.... but what a piece of shit society we live in.
That place does pretty well, you think they would pay for 24/7 security versus negatively affecting actual customers.

- A reduction in the area dedicated to vehicles (1,170 m2 vs. existing 1,400 m2)
I'm really skeptical of this claim. Seems like it's based on treating concrete curbs, islands, and dividers as not part of the area dedicated to vehicles (when they clearly are):

McD.png

And the added benefit of maintaining a drive-thru for area residents like myself!
That's just it. This renovation was designed to improve the way the restaurant works for drivers picking up food to go, but not people walking in off the streets to eat sitting down.

Back