News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I wish they were turning the area below the retaining wall into an urban beach. If there’s anywhere more perfect in the inner city for it, I don’t know it. The water is deep enough to swim in right there, noise concerns are mitigated by the retaining wall and Elbow Island, and the natural environment is already altered/destroyed.
Agreed. That would be the perfect spot for an urban beach. The hairpin turn just after Stanley Park is the current urban beach area, but it gets crowded, and would be nice to have another one.

It’s also not even a beach, I’m talking about a sand beach, replenished every 3 or so years. It’s a pretty big investment, but a massive public benefit.

While I'm not in economics, but I don't see how $10 million is a lot in the grand scheme for the city for a project they say will generate 2-6 mil a year in spending. In 3 years it would pay itself back, that seems fast. I dont see how the city would have a big issue spending the money.

While I'm not in economics, but I don't see how $10 million is a lot in the grand scheme for the city for a project they say will generate 2-6 mil a year in spending. In 3 years it would pay itself back, that seems fast. I dont see how the city would have a big issue spending the money.
So it doesn't generate $2-6 million in government revenue so the picture is a bit jaundiced.

That doesn't mean it is a bad project. It in fact is a great project.

I think the cost estimate is a bit low too, probably at least 1.5x

Anyways, I think it is surprising the project hasn't got traction from the municipal government.

Back