News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Very interesting question. I have another upcoming article about office space conversions and part of the discussion is about having live work units in a building.
Hey guys, I have a question I am hoping one of the resident architects, ATs or building code experts could answer for me.
Can a dwelling unit or apartment share a hallway with a commercial or non-residential unit in a building? So, if you have a mixed use building, with offices or say a medical clinic on the second floor, could you also have apartments on the second floor as well, using the same internal hallway as access? I know there is a land use bylaw rule against this (can't remember exactly where), but is there also a building code rule? Or to put it another way, could you propose a DC bylaw to get around this rule? Or is it a building code, and therefore life safety/non-relaxable rule?
Thanks in advance.

There isn't a rule that really forbids it, there are certain uses that can't be combined with residential (industrial would be the obvious one), but nothing stating commercial has to be accessed separately. There are minimum fire ratings, travel distances and area limits that could require a fire rated door between the residential and commercial areas, but that would be about it. For security reasons, most developers will keep the access separate, don't really want anyone to be walking around a building unchecked.
Thanks for responding. So it sounds like there isn't a building code restriction, just a few extra belts and braces that need to be designed/installed to allow it.

I've had it with NIMBYs in this city. The CPC just rejected a request to rezone that lot in Marda Loop (33 ave and 15 st) from single-family residential to mid-rise/mixed-use, even though the planning department recommended the change.
Going back a couple of weeks in our discussion on this topic of the land use on 33rd Ave SW that Sarina submitted. They must be confident in having the Council votes, because despite the recommendation for refusal by CPC, they have submitted a DP for the site:
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2017-2996
77 units in total. The council vote is on July 31.

Also the CPC minutes for the recommended refusal have been posted. Interesting to read through the item, as it sounds like it was quite the debate. Item 5.22, starting on page 48:
https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Docum...mmission/minutes/2017/minutes-cpc-june 15.pdf

It's nice that council can look at this in a more general practical sense and not just the %100 by the book. I hope it gets voted through.

Going back a couple of weeks in our discussion on this topic of the land use on 33rd Ave SW that Sarina submitted. They must be confident in having the Council votes, because despite the recommendation for refusal by CPC, they have submitted a DP for the site:
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/DP2017-2996
77 units in total. The council vote is on July 31.

Also the CPC minutes for the recommended refusal have been posted. Interesting to read through the item, as it sounds like it was quite the debate. Item 5.22, starting on page 48:
https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documents/calgary_planning_commission/minutes/2017/minutes-cpc-june 15.pdf

CPC next week has a few items of interest:

https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Docum...commission/agenda/2017/agenda-cpc-july-13.pdf

Item 5.01 (page 57/193): The DC bylaw for the redevelopment of Chinook Mall. This is an update to the DC bylaw put in place a few years ago, with Cadillac Fairview saying that one was not market supportable. The new DC allows more flexibility, in terms of allowing them to build a large parkade as the first phase by the looks of it. I will be curious to see how this one is received. Personally, I am not sure if expanding parking is a way to achieve the City's TOD principals.

Item 5.02 (page 91/193): The land use for Truman's development on Memorial Drive and 9th Street NW.

Item 5.06 (page 145/193): Redesignation of some houses along 2nd Ave NW, just to the east of Ven Cafe to MC-2, to allow a 4 storey condo by the looks of it.

Thanks for posting, and thanks for adding in the items with the page numbers! Makes it so much easier to go take a look.

I noticed they also discuss plans on the refurb of Glenmore Dam (page 165). Looks promising, I like that they are widening the pathway across, and making an unobstructed viewing deck. Basically making it more of a public space.

CPC next week has a few items of interest:

https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Docum...commission/agenda/2017/agenda-cpc-july-13.pdf

Item 5.01 (page 57/193): The DC bylaw for the redevelopment of Chinook Mall. This is an update to the DC bylaw put in place a few years ago, with Cadillac Fairview saying that one was not market supportable. The new DC allows more flexibility, in terms of allowing them to build a large parkade as the first phase by the looks of it. I will be curious to see how this one is received. Personally, I am not sure if expanding parking is a way to achieve the City's TOD principals.

Item 5.02 (page 91/193): The land use for Truman's development on Memorial Drive and 9th Street NW.

Item 5.06 (page 145/193): Redesignation of some houses along 2nd Ave NW, just to the east of Ven Cafe to MC-2, to allow a 4 storey condo by the looks of it.

Image4.jpg

Image5a.jpg

Attachments

• Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 313
  • Image5a.jpg
    Image5a.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 351
Happy to join everyone. So much stuff going on in this city it boggles my mind. I need to drive (or better, cycle) by Marda Loop sometime. Looks like just an insane amount of stuff going on.
I was in Marda Loop this part weekend, and it's looking great. Once Avenue33 and the other one (Infinity?) are compete, the area will have an even better feel to it.

Yeah, I much prefer the old CPC agenda format where you could link to the individual items. Thanks for pulling out the glenmore dam pictures. I saw that item but only glanced at it, as I just thought it was a routine maintenance thing. I didn't look at it in too much depth though.

Vogue actually turned out better than I expected, they could improve the way they light up the roof, but still not bad. I'm glad all our condo towers don't look the same like they do in Vancouver.

Much like Vancouver's West End, my assessment of that area will always be buoyed by the waterfront park access. It's the circle of life: Great park access in high-density zoning close to transit and employment --> high land value --> neighbourhood character gutted like a fish and replaced with condos --> increased neighbourhood population --> new retail to serve population --> (hopefully) better community ownership and advocacy --> streetscape and programming improvements --> rejuvenated character. Patience. I noticed the pathway improvements in the West End are underway. Is 8th st still on the table?

Back