News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

As the centre of gravity shifts east, I think Olympic Plaza will improve organically. Being next to City Hall, it will always be magnet for a certain diversity of civic characters, but the festivals really activate the space, and we can expect even more tourist, families, and business-types in the future. I don't particularly like the optics of a major investment here (what we have works fine). Let's see how the Bow, NMC, Telus Sky, Evolution, Knightsbridge, Hilton, Pulse, Simmons, Guardians, NCL, First, Ink, Kahanoff, Waterfront, Palliser West, and Elements affects OP first. I'd rather we focus on 8th St, the underpasses, the bike lanes, Stampede Park, and Riverwalk.

IMHO, the biggest problem with the plaza is not the plaza itself, but what's around it. The Performing arts centre brings some life after hours, but only sporadically, and there is nothing else nearby, and because Stephen Ave is a dead end with city hall there, there's no opportunity for passer-by traffic.

I agree .. Even if the Municipal Building is opened up through the EV, there is still a gap where there isn't much but else asides from the performing arts centre

As the centre of gravity shifts east, I think Olympic Plaza will improve organically. Being next to City Hall, it will always be magnet for a certain diversity of civic characters, but the festivals really activate the space, and we can expect even more tourist, families, and business-types in the future. I don't particularly like the optics of a major investment here (what we have works fine). Let's see how the Bow, NMC, Telus Sky, Evolution, Knightsbridge, Hilton, Pulse, Simmons, Guardians, NCL, First, Ink, Kahanoff, Waterfront, Palliser West, and Elements affects OP first. I'd rather we focus on 8th St, the underpasses, the bike lanes, Stampede Park, and Riverwalk.

That's exactly what I think too. The plaza isn't really the problem, it's more the situation. A few minor things can be changed it would be fine. Good point about East Village, they have to somehow get Stephen Ave through City Hall to tie into all that. I have heard that might be in the works.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 259
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 271
The city has decided to go with Option D (fully underground) for the centre city portion of the Green Line. Very happy with this outcome, it's great to see that transit is finally looking to the future of our city and making decisions that will safeguard the future. If the city decides to go with option D-2 over D-1, the grade separated portion of the line will extend from Highfield Industrial Park in the SE all the way to 24 Avenue N, nearly 10 kilometers of uninterrupted rapid transit including 1 at grade station, 2 elevated stations, and 5 subway stations.

The city has decided to go with Option D (fully underground) for the centre city portion of the Green Line. Very happy with this outcome, it's great to see that transit is finally looking to the future of our city and making decisions that will safeguard the future. If the city decides to go with option D-2 over D-1, the grade separated portion of the line will extend from Highfield Industrial Park in the SE all the way to 24 Avenue N, nearly 10 kilometers of uninterrupted rapid transit including 1 at grade station, 2 elevated stations, and 5 subway stations.

I noticed that on twitter, and I think it's the right thing. It might cost a bit more, but this is a long term plan, might as well do it right. That 9th ave Station will be way down deep though.

I noticed that on twitter, and I think it's the right thing. It might cost a bit more, but this is a long term plan, might as well do it right. That 9th ave Station will be way down deep though.

Long term it is the correct choice. But the cost. :S If only there was a lotto for cities and Calgary could win it.

I'd seem the Duke when looking up stuff about Soverign a few weeks ago. I wasn't particularly wowed, but almost anything is better than an empty lot. These other two are pretty neat. Niche isn't stellar, but it's a way out of character development for Westbrook. It's pretty close to the intersection of 17th and 37th. Hopefully it's indicative of more development to come for the area.

Has anyone heard where things stand for the Westbrook Mall Redevlopment/ToD? It seems like those ToDs are really stagnating. :(

Avenue 33 looks like a real winner though. I look forward to seeing more projects along this line for Mard Loop. It needs a little more vertical, and a more residential of this sort.

(100 posts woo! Now an Active Member. I'm moving up in the world.)

Back