9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Steps in Bridgeland back under construction again

2016 April 19 011.JPG 2016 April 19 012.JPG

Bridgeland Crossing almost done

2016 April 19 014.JPG 2016 April 19 015.JPG 2016 April 19 016.JPG 2016 April 19 017.JPG 2016 April 19 011.JPG 2016 April 19 012.JPG

Attachments

• 2016 April 19 011.JPG
    2016 April 19 011.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 259
  • 2016 April 19 012.JPG
    2016 April 19 012.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 242
  • 2016 April 19 014.JPG
    2016 April 19 014.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 257
  • 2016 April 19 015.JPG
    2016 April 19 015.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 247
  • 2016 April 19 016.JPG
    2016 April 19 016.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 237
  • 2016 April 19 017.JPG
    2016 April 19 017.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 260
I'm delighted that Avenue33 is going to be extending the retail on 33rd further east. One small step toward my dream of having mixed-use buildings extend all the way to 14th street.

The building looks nice too. Not sure I love that concrete planter that emerges on the eastern side. I realize the ground is not level, but stairs would have been better than a planter.

I like the look of Avenue 33. Nice and simple nothing too over-the-top. Retail at the base which is always nice, and like you say it will help extend the retail all the way down to 14 Street

I'm out of touch with some parts of the city. I had no idea they had even started construction, let alone done with businesses moved in! Thx for posting.

There is another proposal right on 33rd (at about 20th ave), that I think might be under construction. Do you if it has started up yet?

I'm out of touch with some parts of the city. I had no idea they had even started construction, let alone done with businesses moved in! Thx for posting.

There is another proposal right on 33rd (at about 20th ave), that I think might be under construction. Do you if it has started up yet?

The one your thinking of is called Odeon. It started construction a while back, but I haven't seen it for a while. I would estimate that it's at least at grade by now, but probably above ground.

I'm delighted that Avenue33 is going to be extending the retail on 33rd further east. One small step toward my dream of having mixed-use buildings extend all the way to 14th street.

The building looks nice too. Not sure I love that concrete planter that emerges on the eastern side. I realize the ground is not level, but stairs would have been better than a planter.

Agree on all counts. This is a nice little project, and a good example of how to do small-medium sized mixed use, and good street street treatment. I know this is blasphemy to say on a skyscraper site, but I would trade in one of the Guardian towers, for five Avenue 33 projects. Calgary has enough highrises, but we don't have enough Avenue 33's.

1741 project on 17th ave and 24th street. Not a bad little project but would be better if it had Avenue 33's retail setup.

IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1695.JPG IMG_1696.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1694.JPG
    IMG_1694.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 476
  • IMG_1695.JPG
    IMG_1695.JPG
    964.5 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1696.JPG
    IMG_1696.JPG
    951.8 KB · Views: 982
I know this is blasphemy to say on a skyscraper site, but I would trade in one of the Guardian towers, for five Avenue 33 projects. Calgary has enough highrises, but we don't have enough Avenue 33's.

Definitely. Calgary does not have the population to support multiple neighbourhoods full of Guardian towers. If we're ever going to fill in all of the parking lots, strip malls, and suburban-style single family homes in the inner city, it's going to be mostly with mid-rise development, which is fine with me because they *tend* to make for a more pleasant urban environment (though not necessarily).

The one your thinking of is called Odeon. It started construction a while back, but I haven't seen it for a while. I would estimate that it's at least at grade by now, but probably above ground.

The Odeon looks like it's topped out now (or very close). No glass or cladding has gone up yet. I'll try to get a picture next time I pass by. It has actually created a bit of a mini-canyon effect with the condo across the street.

1741 project on 17th ave and 24th street. Not a bad little project but would be better if it had Avenue 33's retail setup.

This building drives me crazy! Such a lost opportunity to build 17th Ave into a proper main street. Sometimes I wonder whether the planning department is run by zombies. You can increase density as much as you want, but without building mixed-use buildings with retail at street-level, you're still creating car-dependent suburban neighbourhoods that force people to get into their car to get to and from scattered and isolated retail outlets.

This building drives me crazy! Such a lost opportunity to build 17th Ave into a proper main street. Sometimes I wonder whether the planning department is run by zombies. You can increase density as much as you want, but without building mixed-use buildings with retail at street-level, you're still creating car-dependent suburban neighbourhoods that force people to get into their car to get to and from scattered and isolated retail outlets.

Complete loss of opportunity indeed!

Really 1741 is not much different than Avenue 33, except for that retail portion, which makes Avenue 33 so appealing. There is a project on Centre St N and 2oth ave that is under construction, and it has retail at base, but the city almost approved a design that had no retail. Myself along with a couple of others complained to the planner that it was a waste of an opportunity, and they went back to the developer wanting retail. Too bad I was asleep at the switch for 1741 lol.

For the record, I'm okay with projects like this not having retail, if it's not on a main corridor, but if it's on 33rd ave, 17th ave, Centre Street etc... it should have retail.

Back