News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Apparently there has been core sampling at the Marriott Club Sport site. I'd love to see that one go ahead.

Wasn't the Club Sport cancelled years ago? If not, wow, if we get that one going we'll have 3 massive new Marriott's downtown (Residence Inn, Autograph, and Club Sport) by the early 2020s.

EDIT: just realized that the core sampling is probably for the Green Line tunnel, as it will be going under there as it turns north to the CPR alignment.

I was just on New Urban's website. It has not been updated in years. Club Sport listed as a project but also West Arriva and Curtis Block, neither of which they still are involved with.
There has been no more talk of Club Sport that I can find in the last 5 years

Someone had told me that Club Sport was officially dead, and that Marriott had backed out......trying to find out who told me and when that was. Aside from that, yeah, New Urban doesn't seem to be doing much these days.

Yeah, so it's definitely just coring for the Green Line then.

Hey guys, two questions.
1) I was waiting for my bus in the NW today and looked over at C.O.P. I noticed two cranes near there, perhaps behind it. Seemed pretty big too. I don't remember seeing them before. What project is that?
2) Is that whole Currie project still going on? What's the status of it? Haven't been down that area to see for myself but just curious with the downturn and stuff. This is what im talking about.

Hey guys, two questions.
1) I was waiting for my bus in the NW today and looked over at C.O.P. I noticed two cranes near there, perhaps behind it. Seemed pretty big too. I don't remember seeing them before. What project is that?
2) Is that whole Currie project still going on? What's the status of it? Haven't been down that area to see for myself but just curious with the downturn and stuff. This is what im talking about.
I was in that area a couple of weeks ago, and there wasn't much going on. I saw what looked like construction, but it wasn't anything major.

Nothing major but have been watching this get torn down from my office
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0515...4!1sGRFi7e8Tjh_gFre29jBG3g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Finally! That "thing" was an eye sore. What is going on there? New building/renovation? China Town is in desperate need of a clean up/construction boom. The whole area feels disconnected/grungy. Lot's of little parking lot holes and gaps that could be filled in. There is a lot of wealth in the Chinese community, not sure why people are not stepping up to develop and improve the area.

There was high rise development proposed by Hon Developments on one of those parking lot in Chinatown. A year or so ago, they ran into all kinds of complaints from the community about the proposed height. I have not heard what the status is.
That is what it would take to stimulate other development but people have to keep an open mind.

I liked the massing of the Hon proposal, as it blocked out Sunlife Plaza from the north view of downtown. There was never a render, but it would have boosted the population of Chinatown by probably 800 - 1000 people alone.

There was high rise development proposed by Hon Developments on one of those parking lot in Chinatown. A year or so ago, they ran into all kinds of complaints from the community about the proposed height. I have not heard what the status is.
That is what it would take to stimulate other development but people have to keep an open mind.
The land use was tabled by Council on December 5, 2016:
https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/#property/LOC2012-0101

You can see the meeting minutes here, Item's 7.1 (ARP/Community engagement the City has spend 500k on) and 7.2 (actual land use):
https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings...-55009a0fa78e&Agenda=PostMinutes&lang=English

Looks like 45 people came out to speak on the item (and you wonder why nothing gets done in China town). Council gave first and second readings of the bylaw, but withheld 3rd reading pending conditional approval of a DP. No DP has been applied for, I assume they are waiting for the ARP to be updated, which I think could take a while. Here is better/more official summary:
https://engage.calgary.ca/planningchinatown

I don't get the strategy of Council of withholding 3rd reading, pending conditional approval of a DP. They do it on a somewhat regular basis though. All it would take is a developer to get conditional approval of a DP that they designed to "tick every box", so Council grant's them their 3rd reading and thus re-zoning. The next day, they cancel the conditionally approved DP, and go apply for a new DP (that granted has to meet the rules in the zoning, but could be a very different look).

CPC Next week, full agenda here:
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Docume...ission/agenda/2017/agenda-cpc-november-16.pdf

Items of interest:
4.01 (page 157/392): The student housing tower at Banff Trail is back, after being sent back to be looked at further by the commission when it was last there on October 5. CPC directed them to relook at several elements, full list on Page 159. There are more renderings further into the item.

5.02 (page 287/392): Update to the Bowness ARP to prohibit auto oriented uses on the "main street" of Bowness Road.

5.03 and 5.04 (pages 297 and 319): Re-zoning for Co-op Oakridge and Dalhousie respectively. This isn't the DP, just the zoning, but it will be interesting to see the commission's comments on it in my opinion. Not sure how much the DP design will (can?) come up. Last CPC, there was a verbal presentation to commission explaining all of the constraints on the site that lead to the outcome so far. Not sure every member of commission bought it all though, as a lot of talk was about existing leases and business models, however one commissioner asked where those are listed in Section 35 of the Land Use Bylaw as something to be taken into consideration when evaluating DPs. The video of that presentation can be seen here: https://video.isilive.ca/calgary/video-nov-02.mp4.html starting at the 48:00 mark.

Someone had told me that Club Sport was officially dead, and that Marriott had backed out......trying to find out who told me and when that was. Aside from that, yeah, New Urban doesn't seem to be doing much these days.

CMLC now owns the site that was slated to be the Marriott Club Sport.

My hope is that someone like BOSA picks it up from CMLC and they recreate something along the lines of Evolution in EV.

Hey guys, two questions.

Currie is definitely still going ahead. Development has slowed down considerably since the downtrurn... keep in mind that the typical single detached home in Currie is well into the $800-900k to $2.0M range, so that market is certainly less resilient than it once was. Condominium projects like Ovation (Jayman), Axxess (Slokker), and The Armory (Cove Properties) seem to be doing ok as they wrap up. The Empire Homes townhouse project is currently selling and the asking prices are from $1.8M to just over $2.0M, so again sales are expected to be slow.

Canada Lands (due to its ownership) has the luxury of playing the long game, they'd rather do it right rather than compromising on their vision and slapping something together.

Back