News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I like that they are building new ramps that will be more bike friendly, but I wish the part where it connects to the bridge was a wider flared type connection (example below)

1652498927710.png

042D2469-AF96-4F55-813C-EF33A221B1D1.jpeg
5262CAEB-52C8-48C4-8C41-F5D055D54887.jpeg
34528CE9-D497-4187-806B-38225CDD75CF.jpeg
FDF2F849-BDF7-4E9C-9FA5-865E11C9ED10.jpeg
00599AB8-52C0-4E2D-AF4C-05D922D6E6DD.jpeg

Attachments

• 1652498792164.png
    1652498792164.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Boring bridge for sure. In fact, I think it's a downgrade aesthetically from the old bridge. It will definitely function better, but man what a snore fest. The new retaining/flood wall is also lame. Feels like a barricade between downtown and the river. So much for all the nice shrubs, trees, and greenery that used to line that stretch. Now we have a claustrophobic wall...

Boring bridge for sure. In fact, I think it's a downgrade aesthetically from the old bridge. It will definitely function better, but man what a snore fest. The new retaining/flood wall is also lame. Feels like a barricade between downtown and the river. So much for all the nice shrubs, trees, and greenery that used to line that stretch. Now we have a claustrophobic wall...

I mean...that's kinda the whole point...

I'll reserve judgment until we see the final product. The shrubbery was fine, but unremarkable IMO, and shouldn't be hard to replicate or improve upon (like the gardening near the Peace Bridge).

Keep in mind this is the improved Jaipur bridge design. Do you remember the initial design proposal for the replacement that got shredded by CPC? They then had to do an update design in an expedited manner, and the result is definitely an upgrade over the first proposal.
The previous design IMO is much nicer even though it didn't fit the theme of the park. We still could've and should've done way better.

I understand it’s a flood wall but it doesn’t do any good for the public/urban realm. Wish it didn’t have to be built.
I don’t have any renderings handy, but from what I recall there will be landscaping and shrubs built along the wall so that it’ll be mostly hidden.

Keep in mind this is the improved Jaipur bridge design. Do you remember the initial design proposal for the replacement that got shredded by CPC? They then had to do an update design in an expedited manner, and the result is definitely an upgrade over the first proposal.

Definite improvement over that clunky ugly first design. This bridge is perfectly fine for the location. It’s pretty similar to the one over the elbow into Inglewood at Fort Calgary and no one is bothered over there. It gets you across. You’re also focused on the excellent surroundings.

I’m okay with the bridge. It’s not the most exciting bridge, but the city built a couple of really nice ones in the Peace Bridge and St Patrick’s Island.
This bridge only needs to be decent and that’s what it is.

Back