News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Everyone's favourite plaza and Eau Claire all boarded up ready to face the wrecking ball....

20240628_204532.jpg

20240628_204613.jpg

There's an interesting video on the history and the downfall of the mall. What I find interesting is that the mall was busy from the get go, and late 90's was really quite a buzzing place. It was never going to become the next Granville Island, but it was busy. The fact that it was one building with one landlord was a problem. This is why I pray the new version of Eau Claire has at least multiple parcels with more than one developer.

There's an interesting video on the history and the downfall of the mall. What I find interesting is that the mall was busy from the get go, and late 90's was really quite a buzzing place. It was never going to become the next Granville Island, but it was busy. The fact that it was one building with one landlord was a problem. This is why I pray the new version of Eau Claire has at least multiple parcels with more than one developer.

Such a great video. Jason Markusoff offers a great analysis for some of the fatal design flaws in the property (cutting the mall off from the riverfront with a gated condo complex??? What the hell were they thinking??). The young woman near the end also hits the nail on the head by contrasting the grassroots, public origins of Granville Island with Eau Claire basically just being a for-profit development scheme with little actual community support. And, of course, you gotta have a baby boomer complaining about the lack of parking.

I noticed Southcentre has a new elevator shaft going straight up in front of Decathlon and beside Earls. Looked it up but this is all I could find,

Have to wait til August to find out which tenant will be occupying the empty third floor of the old Sears. I’m guessing it will be a Rec Room as the property manager said it’s entertainment based and like nothing in the south of the city currently.

It really is absolutely mental how long the Eau Clair Plaza is taking. They don’t even have paving stones in? I could almost understand if they were putting in a splash pad mixed with a Freon system for a winter skating rink throughout the majority. But that’s not happening.

It really is absolutely mental how long the Eau Clair Plaza is taking. They don’t even have paving stones in? I could almost understand if they were putting in a splash pad mixed with a Freon system for a winter skating rink throughout the majority. But that’s not happening.
Is the delay related the to Green Line work happening next door? Doesn't make sense to put stones down only to have to remove them a few months later.

Back