News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

My parents (similar ages) have started cycling again this summer too. Mostly just to get out. I have been riding a lot the last month or so since it has gotten a bit cooler.

I agree. Unfortunately, though, the City didn't do much to add even temporary cycling infrastructure to the suburbs like it did downtown.

I feel like the some of the suburban cities are putting Toronto to shame with MUTs along arterials.

I think some of the temporary bike lanes they promised in Scarborough never got built, right? Overlea comes to mind.

The City delivered what was in their initial package.

They have not delivered on what Councillors asked for in motions at Council.

Outstanding are:

Overlea
Avenue Road
Route btw Cosburn bike lanes and Danforth, btw Greenwood and Pape (almost certainly Donlands)

Toronto should follow the Netherlands to create cycling specific wayfinding signs.

See link.

wayfinding.jpg

The new signs for wayfinding for cyclists. Top left destinations in the city: to the central railway station and the city’s main hospital. The lowest sign points to an indoor bicycle parking facility. Unfortunately ‘Centum’ is a misspelling, it should have been ‘Centrum’ (Centre).

wrong-direction.jpg

Two of these signs points to the right, up the wrong way of a one way cycle path. That can’t be right and indeed, all three places mentioned on those two signs are really straight on. Both signs should have pointed in that direction.

I'm going to be slightly silly...............

While I endorse w/o reservation, a pedestrian/cycling connection across the 400 here; I can forsee that the endlessly long switchback ramp, on both sides will leave it as a barrier to most people for reasons of hassle and time-delay.

In the alternative, we could lower the 400 by 2.5M here.....then have a bridge only 2.5M above the existing grade, which we could achieve w/o switchbacks.....................

I'm going to be slightly silly...............

While I endorse w/o reservation, a pedestrian/cycling connection across the 400 here; I can forsee that the endlessly long switchback ramp, on both sides will leave it as a barrier to most people for reasons of hassle and time-delay.

In the alternative, we could lower the 400 by 2.5M here.....then have a bridge only 2.5M above the existing grade, which we could achieve w/o switchbacks.....................

This also needs to happen at the 404

1608059961502.png

Especially after this phase is complete

1608060009627.png

And a connection to the existing trail will want to be made.

Btw, speaking of this extension, its been deferred indefinitely unfortunately.

September 2020
The City continues to work on finalizing legal agreements with utility providers that have infrastructure in the vicinity of the trail.

The time needed to complete these agreements has not been determined and will defer the project until further notice. Once the agreements have been finalized, the City will provide a Construction Update with a revised construction schedule.

View attachment 289144

View attachment 289145

I will speak to someone about this deferral.

This project has been on the to-do list for several years.

I can't fathom why one is required.

The City has a template agreement for Hydro-One corridors which is transferable to any other.

The City has a template agreement for Hydro-One corridors which is transferable to any other.
There's currently no councilor to give the City/Hydro-One a bit of a push. Even the former councilor wasn't exactly doing much pushing.

PLEASE! These 'making connections' projects for the trails (East Don Phase 1, Humber Trail connection, Gatineau/Meadoway) are taking FOREVER.

IMO only until these trails have no 'gaps' in them will they be actually useful beyond scenic trails and as bikeways, especially the ones in the hydro corridors

Last edited:
PLEASE! These 'making connections' projects for the trails (East Don Phase 1, Humber Trail connection, Gatineau/Meadoway) are taking FOREVER.

IMO only until these trails have no 'gaps' in them will they be actually useful beyond scenic trails and as bikeways, especially the ones in the hydro corridors

As promised; I have spoken with someone.

The City is actually hoping this project will go forward in 2021; but are not making promises.

The delay is not due to the City (apparently), nor Hydro One, but third party utilities with whom legal agreements are also required.

But there is some hope these will resolve; and if so the work may be able to proceed in 2021.

We should know early in the new year.

Edit to add: I can confirm the construction drawings are done.

Last edited:
Look at two time periods...

September, 2019...
1608082168031.png

And May, 2012...
1608082346642.png

From link.

The difference is there is parking for motor vehicles. There was supposed to be no parking, no standing, or no stopping during the rush hours. How many times did we see people making an important park, stand, stop for their all important beverage, which forces other motor vehicles out of the temporary curb driving lane? They still do that with the bicycle lanes. Makes no difference if there were curb driving lanes or bicyle lanes, motorists will still be forced into the left lane for driving purposes.

View attachment 289145

I hope the above prosposal is acted on in the near future. McNicol - Cummer - Drewry actually makes for an excellent East-West route for cyclists in North Scarborough and North York. It has a bridge over the 404 without any ramps to it. The only area where it becomes hairy is in the section starting from Victoria Park to Kennedy where it becomes four lanes with associated higher vehicular speeds that goes with that. The proposal above would make for a safer alternate for cyclists.

And while we're on it... Why not make either Birchmount or Midland more cycle friendly? Both streets have no ramps to the 401. This is why I take Birchmount from North Scarborough to downtown on my bike commute during non-rush hours (5AM headed downtown, 6:30PM headed back North). Whenever I get caught by rush hours for whatever reason, I try to use the alternate route of O'Connor - Vic Park - Gatineau Hydro Corridor - and that road just before and parallel to Birchmount that takes me all the way to Laura Secord road just south of Ellesmere. From then on it is Birchmount all the way to Steeles.

Last edited:

Back