News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Taxis can stop in bike lanes (well, any no-stopping zone) only when immediately discharging or taking on passengers. I don't know if that applies with the cycle tracks, but it shouldn't because bikes are unable to pass by entering the general traffic lane.

Work crews can, but they, of course, need to be doing so for the immediate purpose of work, and they at least have bright amber flashers that can be anticipated well in advance. Private cars, UPS, Canada Post are all supposedly forbidden.

Last edited:
hmm, actually it does seem they changed the bylaw specifically for this new model of bikeway:

Add New§ 886-15. Operation and stopping of vehicles restricted.
A. Subject to § 886-16, no person shall operate a vehicle other than a bicycle in any cycle track except for the purpose of:
(1) Ingress to or egress from a private lane or driveway adjacent to the cycle track;
(2) Loading or unloading of persons with a disability from a Wheel-Trans vehicle, operated by or under contract to Toronto Transit Commission, while actively engaged in doing so;
B. Subject to § 886-15A(2), no person shall stop a vehicle other than a bicycle in a cycle track.

Add New § 886-16. Exemptions.
Section 886-15 does not apply to the following vehicles, if compliance therewith would be impracticable:
A. Ambulances, police or fire service vehicles or any other vehicle actively engaged in responding to an emergency; or
B. Vehicles actually and actively engaged in works undertaken for or on behalf of: (1) The City; or
(2) A public utility, including utilities providing telecommunications, energy, water supply or wastewater related services.

by the way, if seeing an unauthorized vehicle in a lane sufficiently incenses you there is a city phone number that accepts reports

Happy to see that the city of Toronto has gotten Mother Nature, through the January thaw, to melt some of the ice and snow off the bike paths and lanes.

I'll settle for regular secured indoor/sheltered bike parking - it's hard enough convincing the likes of Doug Ford that that's not some kind of huge perk-filled extravagance ...

Another psychotic bike rider. What kind of idiot gets in front of a car to pick a fight with someone?

Seems odd the title of the video talks about the vehicle nearly hitting another vehicle ... which isn't evident in the video. I have to think the bike rider is making up stories here.

Pro: Cyclists going through red lights get her wrath.
Con: Everybody gets her wrath. She's nuts.

I really don't care if she passes through stop signs at empty intersections - but not if she gets all lippy about the HTA on everyone else. She isn't a good poster child for the cycling lobby, and I'm disappointed the Star gave her this platform.

Unfortunately this video and stories have been in a number of media reports. The woman is not doing cycling advocacy any favours

Another psychotic bike rider. What kind of idiot gets in front of a car to pick a fight with someone?

Seems odd the title of the video talks about the vehicle nearly hitting another vehicle ... which isn't evident in the video. I have to think the bike rider is making up stories here.

The black Dodge passes the bike very closely at around 0:15 and then veers right to pass the oncoming car with very little space between them. I think that's what the title refers to.

I'm not a fan of confronting other road users this way, but she had reason to take the lane (remnants of snow near the curb) and the driver seemed to be in an awful hurry just to squeeze between the bike and the oncoming car just to get to the lights and be behind another car.

Unfortunately this video and stories have been in a number of media reports. The woman is not doing cycling advocacy any favours

The Star piece is an example of a journalist relying on others to do the work of breaking a story for him. Idlewild was writing about conflicts with drivers on Twitter and decided to get a camera to document them (she seems to be getting into a lot of them, but that's another matter). Someone at NOW picked up on it and then the guy at the Star decided to spin it as 'cyclist who likes to start yelling matches', which is nothing like most of her videos. She's not at all pleased at being portrayed that way after the Star pursued her for an interview.

I'm not a fan of confronting other road users (unless something really egregious happens) and I think just documenting it is more effective. No one is ever really convinced by HTA citations and just explaining what the problem is comes across better, unless you're dealing with someone who's obnoxious, solipsistic and/or just won't listen.

Back