News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Unfortunately, we in Toronto have councillors and bureaucrats who wish that the bicycle "pilot" projects will fail or make the bicycle infrastructure as miserable as possible.

Meanwhile...
Vancouver’s Breathtaking Network of Safe, Protected Cycletracks

These separated bike lanes have a pretty dubious safety record. They aren't very much safer than no bike lane. The death on Laurier Avenue in Ottawa a few weeks ago is clear evidence of that.

Look at the bike accident map in Montreal here http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/bike-accidents/index.html

The #1 place for bike accidents in Montreal is Sherbrooke which has no bike lanes. The #2 place for bike accidents in Montreal is De Maisonneuve which has a separated bike lane along the entire length of it.

I wonder if there is any data on how many bikes there are riding along the two roads. Even if De Maisonneuve is not quite as dangerous as Sherbrooke, it is still too dangerous. Even the separated bike lane is perhaps 50% as dangerous as no bike lane, I think that 50% of extremely dangerous is still too dangerous. Taking the Green Line metro is far safer.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TPSOperations/status/779175250516963329

COLLISION Christie St and Bloor St W, report of a cyclist struck, minor injuries #1691129 ^cb

Is this the first accident on the "Bloor Street bike lanes"?
Oh man...that is *exactly* the intersection that I named as the most likely to have a serious accident when the lanes first went in. It's not just a badly designed intersection for the cycle lane, the vehicular turn north off of westbound Bloor is a slip lane *optimized* to take out a cyclist. There is *absolutely no merge distance*!

I'm sure there's been a lot more than this, but this is just the first to be reported.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is any data on how many bikes there are riding along the two roads. Even if De Maisonneuve is not quite as dangerous as Sherbrooke, it is still too dangerous. Even the separated bike lane is perhaps 50% as dangerous as no bike lane, I think that 50% of extremely dangerous is still too dangerous. Taking the Green Line metro is far safer.
Someday everyone will understand statistics. That day is not today

...I'm sure there's been a lot more than this, but this is just the first to be reported.
In fact, so far it *hasn't* been reported by the media, at least not that I can find, other than Andrew's posting of the tweet.

So how many others have there been? I saw a cyclist whacked a few days back, albeit not severely hurt, just bruised, and he was in the wrong, failed to yield and was being arrogant. But how many innocents are getting whacked, and we never hear about it?

Speaking of interpreting "stats"...there's nothing to interpret if they're not being collected...

In fact, so far it *hasn't* been reported by the media, at least not that I can find, other than Andrew's posting of the tweet.

So how many others have there been?
More than 1,000 cyclists and pedestrians hit on Toronto streets since June 1
New statistics show vulnerable road users struck at a rate of one every two and a half hours.

By Ben SpurrTransportation Reporter
Fri., Sept. 23, 2016
It’s been a bad summer for pedestrians and cyclists in Toronto.

According to statistics from the Toronto police, 542 pedestrians and 541 bikers have been hit by cars since June 1. The 1,083 collisions works out to 9.5 crashes every day, or one every 2.5 hours, and represents an increase over last year, when there were 999 cyclist and pedestrian collisions over the same period.

The stats were posted online Thursday by Kyle Miller, an urban planner who has been tracking pedestrian and cyclist collisions through the Toronto police Twitter account. But he discovered that the tweets were only the tip of the iceberg when a police officer reached out to him this week and provided the complete stats. It turned out that the police account was only tweeting out about one third of collisions.

Miller said the new numbers show that pedestrian and cyclist collisions are “a serious health issue that we should be doing something about.”

“If we had 10 people mugged a day, or 10 people shot, stabbed (there would be a bigger outcry)” he said. “But violence on the road has been so normalized, it’s not even news anymore.”

Miller knows how it feels to be hit by a car. The 29-year-old regularly cycles to his office downtown, and on Sept. 8 he was sideswiped by driver who he said didn’t signal before turning into his path.

Miller escaped the crash, which occurred on Queen St. W. in front of city hall, with only bruises to his elbow and forearm. But he said that many others aren’t so lucky.

“Some people have their lives permanently changed or affected by the collisions they’re involved with,” Miller said.

“We never hear about these, so I’m trying to give a voice to these people.”

According to police, 11 pedestrians and one cyclist were killed in the 1,083 collisions since June 1. Last year, 39 pedestrians and four cyclists died in crashes.

Const. Clint Stibbe, who gave the statistics to Miller, said that the police don’t tweet out all collisions, but major crashes, particularly if they affect public safety or traffic, are posted. He urged road users to “take a larger role in their safety, which includes following the rules that are currently in place.”

“When a driver makes a decision on their own and assesses the amount of risk they are facing and decides to take that risk, and the drivers’ action results in the injury or death of a pedestrian or a cyclist, (that) cannot be accepted as the norm,” Stibbe said. “Drivers can do better, they must do better.”

How to protect vulnerable road users became a hot topic at city hall in June, when the city put forward a new road safety plan.

The original version of the plan set a target of reducing serious collisions by 20 per cent over 10 years, a goal that was panned by pedestrian and cycling advocates who argued that one fatality was too many. Under public pressure, the plan was revised to set a target of eliminating serious collisions altogether, and in July council voted to increase the plan’s budget from $68.1 million to $80.3 million over five years.

Public Works Chair Councillor Jaye Robinson (Ward 25, Don Valley West) said she has been meeting with city staff over the summer in order to work on the swift implementation of the plan, which includes the creation of “pedestrian safety corridors” in areas that have seen a high volume of serious collisions.

The city is in the process of appointing a new general manager of transportation, and Robinson, who is participating in the hiring process, said she wanted to ensure whoever gets the job is committed to implementing the safety plan “absolutely as aggressively as possible.” She called this summer’s collisions statistics “alarming” and “almost unbelievable.”

“Clearly with these kind of stats we need to move on this issue,” she said.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...ians-hit-on-toronto-streets-since-june-1.html

Edit to Add: The City faces a monumental task on this, so may I suggest a good starting point? The City's own cycling lanes. Many of them are abysmally designed and implemented.

Unfortunately, we in Toronto have councillors and bureaucrats who wish that the bicycle "pilot" projects will fail or make the bicycle infrastructure as miserable as possible.

Meanwhile...
Vancouver’s Breathtaking Network of Safe, Protected Cycletracks
I was on the Bloor Psyche Lanes again today to see if they're progressing in any way. In fact they're not, drivers just as sloppy and inconsiderate as ever, and cyclists taking liberties that affect my safety, and pedestrians stepping into the lanes, and passengers opening doors...really quite depressing.

And then I watch this, to see how it should be done. That cheered me up Walter!

IMO, keeping ebikes off the bike lanes and paths would be a good idea, same as the rules for mopeds, which like ebikes are speed limited to under 50 kph.

I've never understood why replacing an engine with an electric motor exempts one from this law http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/handbook/motorcycles/section1-4-0.shtml
Here's the problem:
Ruling confirms e-bikes are not motor vehicles
Written by Breanne Nicholson Monday, 11 February 2013
Riders of electric scooters, or e-bikes, may escape future moving violations thanks to an Ontario Court of Justice ruling that determined a power-assisted bicycle does not constitute as a motor vehicle.

E-bikes like this one, even with the pedals not attached, are not motor vehicles, ruled an Ontario court. (Photo: MSVG/Flickr)
Justice Donald Dudar dismissed charges against Ricky Pizzacalla of St. Catharines, Ont., for allegedly operating an uninsured motor vehicle that failed to display visible licence plates.

The decision came after a lengthy debate between the Crown and Pizzacalla, over whether the Highway Traffic Act classifies the bicycle as a motor vehicle.

“This case is beset by a troubled history and context,” Dudar wrote. “It may well be that this troubled history simply reflects ambiguity in legislative drafting.”

Pizzacalla was allegedly accused of violating s. 2 of the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act, and s. 7 of the Highway Traffic Act for operating a power-assisted bicycle without proper ministry documentation.

The charges were first made on Feb. 22, 2010, after constable David Attwood saw Pizzacalla operating “a blue and white 0202 Sports Cycle” along the curb lane of a two-lane road in St. Catharines.

Attwood followed the “scooter-like” vehicle for about 15 to 20 seconds, and noticed that it had no pedals and was battery operated, requiring “no muscle power.”

But according to the court ruling, Pizzacalla insisted that he did not require a driver’s licence and registration, indicating the e-bike had attachable pedals. He also claimed that according to the HTA, his vehicle constitutes as a “power assisted bicycle,” which exempted him from the alleged charges.

“When a ‘power-assisted bicycle’ is operated while missing some piece or part, does it then get taken outside the scope of exception?’” Dudar wrote. In court, he later determined that although the pedals were not in use at the time, they could be reattached, noting that the speed of the vehicle would decrease.

“I believe that it is clear, particularly in the circumstances of this case, that the vehicle was ‘capable of being propelled solely by muscular power,’ by simply re-attaching the pedals which were readily available,” wrote Dudar.

Dudar cited former rulings, including R. v. Vanberlo, which made it “clear that a change to a vehicle must be substantial to establish a basis for finding that it has converted from one use to another.”

Despite the Crown’s evidence that the vehicle required no manpower, Dudar determined that the e-bike’s attachable pedals constituted it as “power assisted” and not a motor vehicle.

“I would say this is analogous to saying that a pole vaulter without a pole is no longer “capable of pole vaulting,”’ wrote Dudar.

This is the second time that Pizzacalla faced charges for operating the motorized bike. In court, Pizzacalla noted that he had similar charges overturned after taking them to appeal.
http://www.canadianlawyermag.com/legalfeeds/1305/ruling-confirms-e-bikes-are-not-motor-vehicles.html

City of Toronto Decision Documents
On January 9, 2014, the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee discussed rules for how power assisted bicycles and e-scooters may be used in the City of Toronto. A core decision from this meeting was that the City asked the Ontario Ministry of Transportation and Transport Canada to review their "power assisted bicycles" definition, to better recognize pedelec type bicycles from e-scooter type vehicles. Learn more about the decisions from this meeting.

Toronto's City Council then discussed how power assisted bicycles and e-scooters may be used in the City of Toronto on February 19th, 2014. City Council decided that between February 19, 2014- 2016 the use of e-scooters in reserved bicycle lanes would be evaluated. Learn more about the decisions from this meeting.
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=f4d4970aa08c1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Last edited:
Thanks, that is good info. But a traditional moped (motorized pedal) bike is also a power assisted bicycle. You can run a moped without the motor and pedal okay, actually much better than you can on the Vespa-type ebikes where the pedals are nowhere near where they would be needed.

IMO, ebikes should be power assisted only when you're peddling. IMO, that's what the technology was originally intended for, a small electric motor to give cyclists a little extra boost as their pedaled.

Once you do not need to pedal and just run on an engine, electric or otherwise, that's a motor vehicle.

Reactions: rbt
Fully agree, I hate them and the people who ride them on bike paths. They should be on the road where they belong.

Would you exclude the electric wheelchairs as well? They have wheels that move by electric motors off batteries. I see the electric wheelchairs on the roads and bike paths nowadays.

Would you ban this electric wheelchair?

You may want to ban them now, but if you have to eventually end up using them...

Would you ban this electric wheelchair?
No, but wheelchair users can also legally use the sidewalks. There must be an onus on wheelchair users, if blocking the cycling lane, to do as farm vehicles are on highways: Pull over every so often to let normal traffic pass.

The scooter users are almost all able to drive on the road, and fit enough to ride regular bikes. I know many wheelchair users as well as scooter riders who use them as an option, not by necessity, and thus further exacerbate their own condition.

There's a huge difference.
Personal mobility devices: wheelchairs and medical scooters
wheelchairs-and-medical-scooters.jpg
What you need to know to use a wheelchair or medical scooter in Ontario

Definition of a wheelchair or scooter
A wheelchair or scooter:

• can be driven by muscular power or other types of power
  • is designed for and used by people whose mobility is limited by a condition or functional impairment
Wheelchairs do not require registration, licence plates, a driver's licence or vehicle insurance. Anyone at any age can ride a wheelchair.

People operating motorized wheelchairs are treated in the same way as pedestrians. You must obey all the rules of the road that apply to pedestrians under the Highway Traffic Act.

Where to drive
Most municipalities have set by-laws about where wheelchairs can and can't be used.

A sidewalk should be the first choice for someone using a wheelchair or medical scooter. Check with your local municipality to see if the by- laws allow their use on sidewalks.

When there is no wheelchair-accessible curb, return to the sidewalk at the first available opportunity.

If there is no sidewalk available, you should:

• travel along the left shoulder of the roadway facing oncoming traffic
  • look for a way to get onto a sidewalk safely and as soon as you can
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/wheelchairs-and-medical-scooters.shtml

I'm trying to find the City's regs on them, failing to do so, but this showed up:
http://www.blogto.com/city/2014/02/e-bikes_will_now_be_allowed_to_use_toronto_bike_lanes/

Read the comments!

Last edited:
Would you exclude the electric wheelchairs as well? They have wheels that move by electric motors off batteries. I see the electric wheelchairs on the roads and bike paths nowadays.
No, these are devices to overcome a disability and must be protected as a human right. It's akin to a food business banning dogs, but mandatorily admitting service dogs.

This is an interesting read, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws#Canada

For Ontario I would like to copy the Finnish model.

"A bicycle can have a 250 W electric motor providing the top speed is limited to 25 km/h. Also the motor can only assist, rather than replace pedalling."

I fully support the idea of true pedal assist bicycles using bike paths and lanes, if they can meet this standard. This could be introduced into Ontario HTA legislation tomorrow and put into force before Christmas, the only losers would be the ebike sellers who dump this crap on the market and the asshole sociopaths, tincan/bottle hoarding nutbars, pseudo-vagrants and DUI-suspended licensees I see riding the Vespa-like things on the sidewalk, through city parks (Allan Gardens is an ebike highway at times), through controlled intersections, etc, etc. On the contrary, nearly every pedal-assist user I've seen seems to be riding like the rest of us, never perfect or close to it, but simply going about their way with the other conventional cyclists, just with a smile on the uphill bits.

This....

sun_electrolite1.jpg

Not this...

dsc_1100_0407.jpg

...with or without pedals.

Last edited:

Back