News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

First of all, got a source for that?

And second, how does the math add up? Back in the summer, 70 new docks and 700 bikes cost $4 million. The summer before that, it was 80 and 800 for $4.9 million. 300 and 3,000 should be coming in at less than $20 million if you do the math.
It's a good point if correct.

Hopefully it's better than a few painted lines... Some of the cycling infrastructure in this city makes me shudder even as a driver.
Much of it offers a false sense of security. And many cyclists fail to realize how they are still *very* vulnerable. Many wear a helmet, and think themselves invulnerable it seems.

Road awareness is as important on many painted cycle lanes as it is on unmarked roads. And many of the green boxes are invitations for disaster, still not covered under the HTA, or anything beyond by-law to assert responsibility of actions.

Toronto has a long way to go to be a 'safe cycling city'.

It's a good point if correct.

Much of it offers a false sense of security. And many cyclists fail to realize how they are still *very* vulnerable. Many wear a helmet, and think themselves invulnerable it seems.

Road awareness is as important on many painted cycle lanes as it is on unmarked roads. And many of the green boxes are invitations for disaster, still not covered under the HTA, or anything beyond by-law to assert responsibility of actions.

Toronto has a long way to go to be a 'safe cycling city'.

I was driving around Sherbourne Station and over the Viaduct in the evening a few weeks back. The bike lanes scared me even as I was safe and snug in my car.
They seem especially bad in the dark (a problem they share with many, if not all pedestrian crossings). How could we improve lighting for bike lanes? The flimsy bollards felt really inadequate next to free flowing traffic going 50+

I was driving around Sherbourne Station and over the Viaduct in the evening a few weeks back. The bike lanes scared me even as I was safe and snug in my car.
They seem especially bad in the dark (a problem they share with many, if not all pedestrian crossings). How could we improve lighting for bike lanes? The flimsy bollards felt really inadequate next to free flowing traffic going 50+

The Viaduct is great. The part that's bad is between Castle Frank and Parliament, which should be five lanes instead of six.

That area altogether is often a bit frightening. I avoid it just out of sixth-sense, but sometimes it's the only way across the valley.

They seem especially bad in the dark (a problem they share with many, if not all pedestrian crossings). How could we improve lighting for bike lanes?
And it's not just danger from vehicles, some sections of the Adelaide and Richmond lanes are very dangerous in the dark...due to other cyclists with no lights. As a cyclist fully lit attaining those lanes from an intersection, oncoming cyclists with no lights are often impossible to see. It shouldn't be a crap shoot. I've run into a few stopped for no reason in the middle of the cycle lanes...one adjusting his headphones...the impact was minimal, but I almost lost it with the moron. He'd been drinking too. The sections of Richmond just east and west of Spadina are especially dark, and populated with miscreant cyclists late evening, exactly the type you hope to avoid by cycling!

On an up-note. the number of cyclists with proper lighting appears to have increased, at least for late peak in the evenings. The 'party' types probably less so.

The flimsy bollards felt really inadequate next to free flowing traffic going 50+
They are completely inadequate. If the City were serious about safety, they'd be concrete barriers with openings for emergency vehicles.

The Viaduct is great. The part that's bad is between Castle Frank and Parliament, which should be five lanes instead of six.
Parts are! Middle of Summer, middle of the day, it's glorious crossing the viaduct, and traffic is travelling in a straight line, chance of wandering drivers minimized (but still not fully safe) the problem comes when those same drivers going westbound can't keep their lanes, for no other reason than just being shitty drivers...by Castle Frank Station, it gets really dicey.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...g-rates-spike-in-downtown-neighbourhoods.html

Cycling rates spike in downtown neighbourhoods

Share of people riding to work in Cabbagetown has hit 34 per cent, according to 2016 census data analyzed by advocacy group.

Cycling rates are surging in some Toronto neighbourhoods, and bicycle advocates say the city needs to accelerate construction of new bike infrastructure in order to keep up.

In a report issued Monday, advocacy group Cycle Toronto said the results of the 2016 census show that while citywide the number of residents who bike to work remains a small minority, in some downtown neighbourhoods more than 30 per cent of people now report they commute by bicycle.

Topping the list was Cabbagetown, where 34 per cent said they rode their bike to work. Close behind was Bloor-Spadina, with 33 per cent, followed by Gerrard-Coxwell, with 26 per cent.

According to Cycle Toronto’s analysis, the figures have skyrocketed since the 2006 census, when just 9 per cent in Cabbagetown and 6 per cent in both Bloor-Spadina and Gerrard-Coxwell rode to work.

Topping the list was Cabbagetown, where 34 per cent said they rode their bike to work. Close behind was Bloor-Spadina, with 33 per cent, followed by Gerrard-Coxwell, with 26 per cent.

I'm surprised it's not the Little Portugal - Trinity Bellwoods area.

Parts are! Middle of Summer, middle of the day, it's glorious crossing the viaduct, and traffic is travelling in a straight line, chance of wandering drivers minimized (but still not fully safe) the problem comes when those same drivers going westbound can't keep their lanes, for no other reason than just being shitty drivers...by Castle Frank Station, it gets really dicey.

The problem is that the bike lanes are really narrow to fit a sixth lane of traffic between Castle Frank and Parliament.

I'm surprised it's not the Little Portugal - Trinity Bellwoods area.

Agree - there are a bunch of neighborhoods around 30% and there must be a margin of error. It's a competition that everybody wins :)

I will say Cabbagetown is physically about 1km closer to the core employment district (King//Bay), and has bike lane coverage the whole way. It's also a smaller and more homogenous community (about 1000 houses, if you accept the more narrow east of Parliament / north of Gerrard definition, which I think the census tract does).

Agree - there are a bunch of neighborhoods around 30% and there must be a margin of error. It's a competition that everybody wins :)

I will say Cabbagetown is physically about 1km closer to the core employment district (King//Bay), and has bike lane coverage the whole way. It's also a smaller and more homogenous community (about 1000 houses, if you accept the more narrow east of Parliament / north of Gerrard definition, which I think the census tract does).

It's long form census data so there's very little margin of error.

And people who are really close to work are actually less likely to bike, because they can walk instead. That's reflected in the census data when you look at tracts between Bathurst and Parliament.

An update on the East Don Trail...

We are pleased to report that the East Don Trail Environmental Assessment, Schedule C, has been approved by the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC). The Project Team which consists of both City of Toronto and Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) representatives is working to finalize detailed design and secure additional permits with project implementation commencing in early 2018.

As a City project, the East Don Trail will receive a portion of the implementation funding through the Federal program Public Transit Infrastructure Fund (PTIF). PTIF provides short-term funding to help accelerate municipal investments to support the rehabilitation of transit systems, new capital projects, and planning studies. The East Don Trail is eligible under the category for system expansion which includes projects that foster active transportation.

The project team will be moving forward with the next phases of design and construction and a new East Don Trail web page which will be hosted by TRCA. The new webpage will replace the City of Toronto's project webpage used during the environmental assessment study.

Lower Don Trail Construction Updates

Rail crossing at Pottery Road
  • This spring, new pavement markings will be applied to the trail leading up to the crossing as well as warning signage adjacent to the trail. The markings, saying “CAUTION [Rail symbol] CROSSING,” will alert riders to the crossing ahead.
  • We are also working with Metrolinx to re-examine the P-gate arrangement at the crossing to see if further improvements can be made at this location.
  • Pavement markings will also be added to the trail in both directions leading up to the new Belleville Underpass, to alert riders to the tunnel and slight trail curve.

Wayfinding Pilot
The new signs in the Lower Don Trail represent the first deployment of the new Parks and Trails Wayfinding system. Comments related to the new signs have been forwarded to project managers, who are evaluating this pilot phase over the winter. You can send additional comments to parkwayfinding@toronto.ca.

Phase 2, Lower Don Trail improvements
Planned Phase 2 work on the Lower Don Trail includes:

Riverdale Ramp
A new accessible ramp will connect the Riverdale footbridge to the trail below. Staff is in the final stages of completing design and feasibility studies on such issues as floodplain hydrology with our partners at Toronto and Region Conservation Authority.

Dundas Street staircase and Trail Improvements between Riverdale footbridge and Don Landing/Corktown Common
Design work has been completed and tender documents prepared. Construction is currently not funded, though staff is working on securing funding for this important work. Announcements, including timing, will be made on our other platforms.

Lessons learned
Lessons learned on Phase 1 projects will be incorporated into Phase 2 planning and sequencing. This includes, but is not limited to:
  • Working with other jurisdictions in the Lower Don to compress the permit application process, which added a considerable amount of time to Phase 1 projects
  • In common with other critical transportation infrastructure projects, working with contractors and stakeholders to improve timeline forecasting and set appropriate schedules that minimize inconvenience and the length of any necessary trail closures
  • Creating better detour options and more robust communications around those options and around project progress.
Source: https://lowerdontrail.wordpress.com/2018/01/04/final-phase-1-update/

So noticed this in December, but wasn't able to get a photo due to snow and/or darkness, until this past weekend.

Here are the beginnings of new cycle tracks on Bloor St W. This is the north side, between Dunbloor Rd and Resurrection Rd. These probably won't have any utility until the six-points reconfiguration is done and they run west past Kipling. It's good to see a much improved design for cycling infrastructure, though I'm sure the intersections will still be bad, as they usually are in the city. The width is about 2 m, with a 0.75 m splash pad.

bloor_ct_1.jpg bloor_ct_2.jpg bloor_ct_3.jpg

Attachments

• bloor_ct_1.jpg
    bloor_ct_1.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 598
  • bloor_ct_2.jpg
    bloor_ct_2.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 587
  • bloor_ct_3.jpg
    bloor_ct_3.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 594
I have an immediate concern: Is this (these) to have a railing or physical barrier to stop vehicles wandering into them? Good pics btw!

There's a full-height curb and 0.75 m spash-pad/buffer between the curb and cycle track, so I think separation is pretty good, as good as most sidewalks, and better really than flex-posts. It's not like the curb-less/roll-curbs on Sherbourne (which essentially makes them just painted bike lanes).

However the intersections look like they'll ramp down to street-level without any separation, which is where the problems usually happen with turning cars and bikes merging into the same spot. I wish Toronto would embrace protected intersections.

Back