News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Disappointed to see YYC get one before us. I thought we were the restaurant franchise guinea pig of AB? Their Burritos are second to none.

Another note: yes indeed, Firehouse Subs is coming to a local strip mall near you.....

Fans of the fried chicken at the shuttered Ralph’s Handi Mart will be happy to know that the same family is opening up Ralph’s Fried Chicken soon at 10807 Castle Downs Road.

What would the reasons be that make talented restaurant people leave Edmonton?
Sorry for the delayed response.

I could write a million different things, but the majority of reasons I believe stem from a lack of opportunities.

Edmonton has amazing talent in the kitchen, in wine, in service and behind the bar. But where are they supposed to work? Think about all that talent pre-Covid that was supposed to explode, and where are they now?

While this is a general statement, and there are a exceptions, most places either have ownership who feel they know better than professionals or managers who don’t really know about food and beverage. Again, blanket statement but there is a lot of this in the city.

Edmonton seems to have a bad habit of getting in its own way. Talent is here, just nowhere to showcase it.

1689684938514.png

Is there anywhere else in the city that makes a better bowl of New England Clam Chowder than Earl's?
I just reminded myself about how great theirs is
You are correct! This town is a wasteland when it comes to any and all things seafood related…..rightfully so. When I worked for them in the 90’s….that was a product made in house. Don’t think it is anymore though

El Jardin in the Mercer Warehouse opened yesterday. Had a tasty ginger mojitos. The food is flavourful, didn't love every single dish but was decent. Menu is huge, between drinks, wine and food they have 3 huge menus double sided. I couldn't keep track of each.

Edit - Added photos. Also wanted to mention that the interior is really nice, and they’re planning to renovate and use the patio on 104 Street.

41D29A10-8AC0-4F05-8A65-53C6470F5597.jpeg

5119F3CE-1843-4040-8F0C-574510205227.jpeg

Last edited:
10937D02-DFEA-44E0-B100-D6792E3DF4B9.jpeg

Has anyone heard of a timeline for when Bar Oro is opening? Be a sweet little spot on Capital Blvd.

It was just a pop up! They did have to vacate early as the 1st floors are being turned into residential instead of retail if Im not mistaken, but they will be back around mid September at Energy Square. Their menu will actually also be much larger as well with alcohol being served at that time.

Isn't that just a pop up until they get their shop open in Energy Square?
That would be it, I was trying to remember what the deal was with them.
It was just a pop up! They did have to vacate early as the 1st floors are being turned into residential instead of retail if Im not mistaken, but they will be back around mid September at Energy Square. Their menu will actually also be much larger as well with alcohol being served at that time.
Disappointing they’re bailing on the CRUs but probably for the best unfortunately.

Some remaining signs of the old Rose & Crown pub in the MNP tower podium which is currently in the midst of reconstruction.
Maybe the Rose & Crown will be resurrected by the O'Byrne's group?

View attachment 494265
I hope so, last I heard they were opening a second O'Byrne's location there, but not much action iside as of late.

Finally got to Fus Repair Shop last night at their new location. And it was worth the wait. Great food better service. Not to loud ( an old age thing). And not to pricey. 3 shared plate , desert and drinks came in at under 80 before tip. Will definitely put this on our rotation. Also very accessible.

Back