News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

That is a very strange photo on the tweet, it looks like all the people were photoshopped into it.

Is the loco that tall?
Good eye they do look photoshopped in there, the loco is huge but not quite to that degree. The editor probably tried to eyeball it but ended up with a case of
yRJk5uTiqQ0IP48jKaegKusOUv3.jpg

Good eye indeed. Wiki sys the main drivers on that class were 70", so just under six feet. Either that or everybody there is really short. The lighting a resolution of the loco vs the people look a little off as well.

Reactions: T3G
On another note... here's something you don't see everyday in Canada - video footage of that CN/EXO train crash in Montreal from last November:
View attachment 531014

Gotta admit this much, Crash National doing a bang-up job of maintaining their reputation 👍
OMG, I’m not an LE, but there is no way that it was traveling at a speed such that it "must be able to stop within one-half the range of vision of equipment." I was expecting it to have a long string of cars in tow, and the LE misjudged their stopping distance, but no, it was just a locomotive. It’s appears to me that the speed restriction was either not received or ignored.

On another note... here's something you don't see everyday in Canada - video footage of that CN/EXO train crash in Montreal from last November:
View attachment 531014

Gotta admit this much, Crash National doing a bang-up job of maintaining their reputation 👍
Seems odd that TSB’s portal does not show an open report on that one, since the CBC did say they were investigating it

OMG, I’m not an LE, but there is no way that it was traveling at a speed such that it "must be able to stop within one-half the range of vision of equipment." I was expecting it to have a long string of cars in tow, and the LE misjudged their stopping distance, but no, it was just a locomotive. It’s appears to me that the speed restriction was either not received or ignored.

Won't speculate on the cause, but the details that I noticed in the vid were - the CN locomotive appeared to have a heavy brake application (smoke and sparks from wheels before impact) and the considerable distance that the EXO train moved after impact - ie a forceful collision and not just a bump or slight miscalculation, or minor defect in the loco brake that might have affected stopping distance.

- Paul

I really don't know which thread to ask this question in, however I have decided to ask here and if Mods feel it is more appropriate in another thread, feel free to move.
I ask generally but expect the knowledgeable to answer. Can the plant(s) at CN Thickson/Oshawa West handle a crossover from South track GO Subdivision to Station track Kingston Subdivision to allow the potential of GO Trains to continue East on the Kingston Sub to potentially Port Hope/Colburg? From my limited knowledge it appears to be physically possible judging from spacing of current crossovers on each respective Subdivision. I am looking forward to discussion on that overall concept and the technical Merritts of such a proposal.

I really don't know which thread to ask this question in, however I have decided to ask here and if Mods feel it is more appropriate in another thread, feel free to move.
I ask generally but expect the knowledgeable to answer. Can the plant(s) at CN Thickson/Oshawa West handle a crossover from South track GO Subdivision to Station track Kingston Subdivision to allow the potential of GO Trains to continue East on the Kingston Sub to potentially Port Hope/Colburg? From my limited knowledge it appears to be physically possible judging from spacing of current crossovers on each respective Subdivision. I am looking forward to discussion on that overall concept and the technical Merritts of such a proposal.

As currently configured, no. There is no connection between the GO Sub and the CN trackage east of Durham Jct.

Could a connection be built? Arguably, although one might ask why it would be desirable for such trains to stop at all of Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and Pickering. Maybe leaving such trains as express on the CN/VIA line, with across platform transfer at Oshawa and Rouge Hill, would be a lot simpler.

I don't believe this is in any of the plans.

- Paul

@crs1026 , thank you for your response. Yes any potential GO service to Port Hope and Colburg utilizing the Kingston Sub would sensibly stay on the Kingston sub all the way. My thought process was GO using it's own infrastructure as much as possible and staying out of CN's way..

I thought Metrolinx was leaning towards using CP’s Belleville Sub east of Oshawa.
To get to Bowmanville, yes. That’s now in procurement. But if one were improving regional trains beyond Durham Region, one might not route that way.

- Paul

I thought Metrolinx was leaning towards using CP’s Belleville Sub east of Oshawa.
Only as far as Bowmanville - the real value is getting service into more central parts of Oshawa, and slowly too as it twists and turns its way onto the CP at vast cost now that the latter has developed a fresh interest in GM.

Pushing GO out of Port Hope/Cobourg - that’s a long way in a GO seat even if the GO trainset and its 130 tonne locomotive can maintain 93mph over the whole distance. If GO wanted to do it, wouldn’t the time to supplant VIA be 2023, and not now that VIA is surely close to having the trainsets and crews to run Kingston commuter again? And then they would have the same issue as London - they don’t own the rails and they don’t own the stations

Back