News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

From what I've heard, the current Uxbridge council seems to feel that they can pull an Orangeville here - except that they can't. They may own the station, but they don't own any of the land that the railway sits on, nor the railway itself. So I'm not sure how much of those rumours that I've heard are true.

In any case, this has been building for quite a while now. This is no surprise to anyone in the preservation community.

Dan

From what I've heard, the current Uxbridge council seems to feel that they can pull an Orangeville here - except that they can't. They may own the station, but they don't own any of the land that the railway sits on, nor the railway itself. So I'm not sure how much of those rumours that I've heard are true.

In any case, this has been building for quite a while now. This is no surprise to anyone in the preservation community.

Dan
When you say “pull an Orangeville”, do you mean remove the tracks from the town, or something else? Is there opposition to those on the notion that if they remain then one day they will bring GO trains, and thus hordes of Torontonians and developers seeking to build supertalls?

Dan
Really trying to figure out the reasoning behind this - it's a tourist railway that wasn't in the way of anything. Sure I'd love to see regular GO service and hopefully up to Lindsay in the near future. But just leave things how they are. Hopefully the York-Durham Heritage Railway can find a good home and open their tracks similar to Port Stanley Terminal Rail.

Really trying to figure out the reasoning behind this - it's a tourist railway that wasn't in the way of anything. Sure I'd love to see regular GO service and hopefully up to Lindsay in the near future. But just leave things how they are. Hopefully the York-Durham Heritage Railway can find a good home and open their tracks similar to Port Stanley Terminal Rail.
There is no more Lindsay - it's the "City of Kawartha Lakes" now 🤣

When you say “pull an Orangeville”, do you mean remove the tracks from the town, or something else? Is there opposition to those on the notion that if they remain then one day they will bring GO trains, and thus hordes of Torontonians and developers seeking to build supertalls?

Uxbridge has a very different situation than Orangeville as pointed out. It never owned the tracks, there hasn’t been any rail-dependent customers in decades (in its last years, the Uxbridge Sub was dependent entirely on industry in Lindsay northeast of Stouffville). The distance to active GO tracks is much shorter and straightforward, though I don’t see much of a market or need for train service of any kind, though the rail banking has been very fortunate for GO’s purposes.

I imagine they want the tracks gone to create another trail?

Didn't the station receive substantial damage a year or two ago? It seems the Town doesn't want to pay to fix it. Too bad, it is/was one of the few remaining 'witch's hat stations.

I'm not sure there will ever be much of a cause for extending GO rail service in the foreseeable future. Expansion of the Uxbridge urban area is limited by the York-Durham Trunk Sewer.

Yes, remove the tracks from town.

Although after doing some more reading last night, I'm less convinced that this was fact and more convinced that it was just a rumour started to make the situation look worse for one side versus the other..

I don't want to get into too much detail as yet. But suffice to say, there is a really, really interesting "conversation" happening on their Facebook page. If you have the time, it makes for some interesting reading.

You may want to break out the popcorn.

Didn't the station receive substantial damage a year or two ago? It seems the Town doesn't want to pay to fix it. Too bad, it is/was one of the few remaining 'witch's hat stations.
Yes, a year and a half ago. The town owns the station and leases is to the railway. Others may know more, but I do believe that it has been designated.

I'm not sure there will ever be much of a cause for extending GO rail service in the foreseeable future. Expansion of the Uxbridge urban area is limited by the York-Durham Trunk Sewer.
GO owns the tracks and ultimately does plan to service the town by train. But those plans are still many decades out.

Dan

I don't want to get into too much detail as yet. But suffice to say, there is a really, really interesting "conversation" happening on their Facebook page. If you have the time, it makes for some interesting reading.

You may want to break out the popcorn.
Interesting reading.

Given the recent York-Durham Heritage Railway news, nice to see good news in Ontario to end the year.

Press release page:

Press release PDF:

Screenshot_2023-12-30_145943.jpg

Given the recent York-Durham Heritage Railway news, nice to see good news in Ontario to end the year.

Press release page:

Press release PDF:

View attachment 530385
What is this??? Would be of great interest to my little boy...

What is this??? Would be of great interest to my little boy...

Waterloo Central is based in St Jacobs. They already have one steam engine, No 9. With this purchase they now have a second.

The new acquisition is currently in Manitoba, and getting it to Ontario will not happen overnight, but it's so good to know that it will remain in Canada and see operation here. The locomotive had spent many years in the United States and otherwise might have returned there.

WCR just finished running its successful Christmas Train, won't run much over the winter but passenger service will return in the spring. No 9 is undergoing firebox maintenance but should be back on line in 2024.

- Paul

Waterloo Central is based in St Jacobs. They already have one steam engine, No 9. With this purchase they now have a second.

The new acquisition is currently in Manitoba, and getting it to Ontario will not happen overnight, but it's so good to know that it will remain in Canada and see operation here. The locomotive had spent many years in the United States and otherwise might have returned there.

WCR just finished running its successful Christmas Train, won't run much over the winter but passenger service will return in the spring. No 9 is undergoing firebox maintenance but should be back on line in 2024.

- Paul
Thanks for that! I will make it a priority to take my boy there!

That is a very strange photo on the tweet, it looks like all the people were photoshopped into it.

Is the loco that tall?

Back