News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I wouldn't read too much into this. Obtaining a strike mandate is just a preliminary step in any labour negotiations.

It's possible for work stoppages to impact things beyond the specific work of the bargaining unit that is not working. So there could be an impact on VIA. But it's a complicated process with lots of moving pieces. Lots to happen before an actual work stoppage would happen.

- Paul

I wouldn't read too much into this. Obtaining a strike mandate is just a preliminary step in any labour negotiations.

It's possible for work stoppages to impact things beyond the specific work of the bargaining unit that is not working. So there could be an impact on VIA. But it's a complicated process with lots of moving pieces. Lots to happen before an actual work stoppage would happen.

- Paul
I look at what happened with Westjet and see the mess it has caused.

I look at what happened with Westjet and see the mess it has caused.

While there was inconvenience to some, the Westjet strike was a walk in the park compared to the impact of a freight rail disruption of equal duration for CN and CPKC. Which is why the Teamsters are making noise already..... it's all about raising public awareness and political concern towards leverage at the bargaining table.
So it's worth watching, but the spinoff impacts for VIA or GO aren't the biggest worry in all this. And it's still early days.

- Paul

While there was inconvenience to some, the Westjet strike was a walk in the park compared to the impact of a freight rail disruption of equal duration for CN and CPKC. Which is why the Teamsters are making noise already..... it's all about raising public awareness and political concern towards leverage at the bargaining table.
So it's worth watching, but the spinoff impacts for VIA or GO aren't the biggest worry in all this. And it's still early days.

- Paul

The biggest issues are going to be the supply chain problems and the associated inflation. No matter how JT acts, this is going to sink them even lower. Do nothing, and people ill be even more upset about the high inflation and trouble getting anything. Do back to work legislation, and you just lost the union votes.

Screw it, the day they walk off the job, call an election. Lets hear what the parties are going to do about the worker issue that they all say they care about.

Why reiterate things that are already common knowledge on this forum?
It was about the affect. For instance, will the trains run by GO and Via that are not CN or CPKC staffed still be able to run even though those staff are on strike and not working.

FB_IMG_1720005652361.jpg

Back