News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

God damn it all, there is nothing that pisses me off more than someone accusing me of being a blind idiot, when I have been reading literature on gentrification from the top academic journals and scholars this entire summer. I have been reading both sides. I have read very much on this. And based on things that I have read I formed opinions. I do not take a side just because I do not like what is said. In fact, it does not matter what I like or do not like. What matters is the scholarly discourse. I personally see some great aspects of gentrification, but that most definitely can not and must not override the literature and scholarly work on this. No matter how many good things I saw in this last year, and there were a lot, I simply can not and will not ignore the bad things associated with this process. If someone is going to attack me for reading the literature, and accuse me of not doing it while attacking me - well sorry, but #$(*D&*#&@&^@^&$*&#$^$(#!!@&#()#

No offense, but in my mind I am picturing you as a hot-headed 21 year-old undergrad who just got a non-paid summer internship working for a prof in the social studies department. In the half hour, obligatory meeting he/she had with you at the beginning of the summer (before getting back to more important research) your prof probably emailed you some PDFs of gentrification literature by Neil Smith, David Harvey and Peter Marcuse and told you to "go nuts. We can meet to talk about this sometime next month!"

Now that you find yourself with a lot of spare time, you have some need to flex your rather weak intellectual muscle on whatever internet discussion board you can find. This is probably because your flesh and blood friends would rather talk about getting hammered and that chick they nailed last week than about David Harvey and because, hey, you can get away with calling people on an internet discussion forum jerks and you don't have to worry about tripping over your own profound ignorance on the subject, because you'll never meet them in real life, right?

You probably hadn't even heard of the word "Gentrification" a year ago at this time.

Last edited:
What's the point of this thread, other than to provide a soapbox for LAz to berate those who disagree with him? There are very few of us here who are experts in Geography, Sociology, Urban Studies, etc. Yet, LAz seems to want to engage in heavy debate on these topics, beyond the depth of most UT members (though it seems there are a few in this thread who know more than a thing or two). Isn't that type of discussion more suited to a duel in an academic journal?

Aside from that, drawing some rather direct comparisons between Toronto and Chicago is ridiculous. As much as many Torontonians feel that Chicago is the American city that most closely resembles Toronto, there are many, many historical, cultural and geographical differences that have set these cities on different trajectories. When it comes to national significance, Toronto is Canada's New York, not its Chicago. And when it comes to gentrification, we've had no where near the intensity of it as many American cities (in no small part because we haven't had as many residents flee the city centre to begin with). Not much of it has been developer driven either. And not much of it has resulted in 'class displacement'. It's not like Italians moving to Woodbridge from Corso Italia are being replaced by significantly more wealthy residents.

I also think it's a tad unfair to say that sprawl is strictly an anglo problem. The only reason Montreal didn't see as much of it is because of the moat around the city.

What's the point of this thread, other than to provide a soapbox for LAz to berate those who disagree with him? There are very few of us here who are experts in Geography, Sociology, Urban Studies, etc. Yet, LAz seems to want to engage in heavy debate on these topics, beyond the depth of most UT members (though it seems there are a few in this thread who know more than a thing or two). Isn't that type of discussion more suited to a duel in an academic journal?

Aside from that, drawing some rather direct comparisons between Toronto and Chicago is ridiculous. As much as many Torontonians feel that Chicago is the American city that most closely resembles Toronto, there are many, many historical, cultural and geographical differences that have set these cities on different trajectories. When it comes to national significance, Toronto is Canada's New York, not its Chicago. And when it comes to gentrification, we've had no where near the intensity of it as many American cities (in no small part because we haven't had as many residents flee the city centre to begin with). Not much of it has been developer driven either. And not much of it has resulted in 'class displacement'. It's not like Italians moving to Woodbridge from Corso Italia are being replaced by significantly more wealthy residents.

*Applause*

I'd like to hear Laz's view on this phenomenon in respect to his gentrification position. This is not people being forced out of their homes, but rather 2'nd and 3'rd generations of cultural groups simply moving from the areas in which they grew up to new areas while still holding on to that slowly escaping link to their cultural past. In fact one might argue that Little Italy and Corso Italia are stagnent if not worse off than the it was when it was known as an area full of Italians. Can you point out where the intentional disinvestment by property owners has occured? I don't see it.

It's not just the Italian community that has done it either. The Jewish community has continuously moved up Bathurst St. The Greek community started in the Danforth, dispersed and the fiinally came back to the Danforth. The Chinese/Asian community has moved from downtown chinatown, to Thornhill and Markham. Etc etc.

WH...your comments are spot on. I would add that the new Chinatowns are in Markham and Agincourt. The new Little Italy is in Woodbridge. The new Gerrard Street is in northern Scarborough (where there now far more South Asian establishments than Gerrard Street).

What I really resent as an immigrant are those folks who wish to see immigrants confined to certain areas and then see their exit from said area as 'gentrification'. God forbid that an immigrant should aspire to the same life as his fellow native-born citizens. Ohhh the horror of an immigrant rising from his ghetto and moving his family to a better life in the suburbs.

Ohhh the horror of an immigrant rising from his ghetto and moving his family to a better life in the suburbs.

Hey, this is Urban Toronto, you can't say there's a better life in the suburbs here!

Mods, do something! ;)

What I really resent as an immigrant are those folks who wish to see immigrants confined to certain areas and then see their exit from said area as 'gentrification'. God forbid that an immigrant should aspire to the same life as his fellow native-born citizens. Ohhh the horror of an immigrant rising from his ghetto and moving his family to a better life in the suburbs.

Well, those are more often than not the immigrants who bastardized good old Victorians and Edwardians anyway, so the suburbs can keep 'em while the gentrifiers either restore said Victorians/Edwardians, or maintain the bastardations as emblems of past ownership;)

I also think it's a tad unfair to say that sprawl is strictly an anglo problem. The only reason Montreal didn't see as much of it is because of the moat around the city.

At the risk of getting off-topic, a bit, let me add that Montreal also had the "good bones" of having developed as a major urban centre prior to automobilisation, so had a nice compact form to build on. Toronto's boom has been post-car, and the difference is really stark. We'll get there ... eventually.

God damn it all, there is nothing that pisses me off more than someone accusing me of being a blind idiot, when I have been reading literature on gentrification from the top academic journals and scholars this entire summer. I have been reading both sides. I have read very much on this. And based on things that I have read I formed opinions. I do not take a side just because I do not like what is said. In fact, it does not matter what I like or do not like. What matters is the scholarly discourse. I personally see some great aspects of gentrification, but that most definitely can not and must not override the literature and scholarly work on this. No matter how many good things I saw in this last year, and there were a lot, I simply can not and will not ignore the bad things associated with this process. If someone is going to attack me for reading the literature, and accuse me of not doing it while attacking me - well sorry, but #$(*D&*#&@&^@^&$*&#$^$(#!!@&#()#

If you've read more than one scholarly work on gentrification, surely you've realized by now that virtually all of the negatives associated with gentrification (even "the displaced" themselves, as if low income renters, or anyone, really, didn't already repeatedly change their place of residence faster than gentrification's demographic shifts occur) are created by scholars...not identified, created. It's trendy - attacking what the public deems positive, using buzzwords that evoke violent power struggles, like "displaced," etc.

Good point on the 'displaced'.

...even "the displaced" themselves, as if low income renters, or anyone, really, didn't already repeatedly change their place of residence faster than gentrification's demographic shifts occur

When I first hit town in the early '90s, I had a crappy bachelor basement on Sheldrake. Moved from there after a year or two to a marginally-less-basement (but 2 bedroom) in a six-plex on Strathgowan, then two years later to a place on Ontario. Our first house buy brought us to the People's Republic of Riverdale, and also moved out our timelines -- we were there for 10+ years.

So... average 'low income' rental -- less than two years. Average overall rental... less than two years. Average owner-occupied is already 5+, and we plan on making that average rise to infinity. Or so. ;)

Fine UT'ers and specious arguments

'Scuse me for popping into this thread late...

I would like to begin by applauding my fellow UT'ers some of whom I enjoy giving a hard time to in other threads...( you know who you are!) :p .... for debunking the specious arguments about gentrification.

I find logic gaps and missing facts to be incredibly irritating regardless of whether or I agree with someone's thesis.

Many detailed arguments have been brought forth here already, I won't attempt to revisit them all.....

But to suggest that gentrification is an unbridled evil with terrible social consequences, at all times and in all places..........

First off, renewing an area, which is at the heart of so-called gentrification can not, in and of itself be viewed as a bad thing. There could be lengthy debate about various government and private renewal schemes over the years and their relative merits, but in so far as the exisiting conditions for residents/businesses were less than ideal, surely the need for and benefit from some intervention is self-justifying.

To look at one Toronto example, Regent Park. This redevelopment of a the former South Cabbagetown/North Corktown slum in post-WWII Toronto has in recent decades lost its luster for its many ill-conceived design choices. However, it should be said that I know someone who grew up in the area before it was redeveloped...and she spoke of homes with outhouses, in the 1940's, only blocks from built-up, downtown Toronto. The area was ill-maintained, and though it had some nice Victorian homes which ideally might have been saved from the wrecker's ball, it had many more than were clapboard, and not insurable for how susceptible to fire they were.

Even for those who ended up in the social housing that followed, at least in immediate aftermath, it would be difficult to accept that this 'gentrifying' of a sort did not produce at least a short-term benefit.

As this community above is now being redeveloped again, this time to include 'mixed income' and retail; the same number of social or Rent-Geared-to-Income units is being retained. Only the population (unit total) is being doubled to accommodate more middle and higher income earners.

By what rationale could this be bad? Surely those who are low-income will enjoy better housing in a better community with greater access to jobs and being surrounded by employed people with money will gain benefits via networking, connections to jobs, as well as a better maintained community because the middle and upper class residents will not abide shoddy maintenance, high crime or poor public services, and unlike their fellow residents they carry the political heft to affect these items.

Part of the argument here is also about not just so-called block-busting schemes but the general protection of those who live in an area from being summarily booted out into either homelessness or worse conditions in another area.

While undoubtedly this has happened in various locations throughout the world at various times, it really does not apply to Toronto. Which has its problems, but this is not one of them.

In Toronto we have rent control for existing tenants (no control when vacancies occur). This protects established tenants from facing huge rent increases that they could not otherwise sustain, merely because an area has become trendy.

Further, landlords in Toronto can not just demolish existing rental housing un-fettered. We have a law here that states than any rental housing equal to or greater than six units is protected from demolition. A developer who wishes to replace let's say, 100 rental units, in 3 low rises, with upscale condos, can do so.....

Subject to, the obligation to replace every lost rental unit, preferably on-site, but otherwise in a nearby new development. Second they are required to provided extended notice to any tenants and to assist them with relocation. Finally, they are generally required to provide right-of-first refusal to existing tenants for any new rental and/or ownership opportunities in the redevelopment.

This hardly sounds burdensome to those whose housing may be redeveloped!

Lastly and more briefly (mercifully I know....:D ) there is an underlying argument in this thread about how various societies deal with poverty/underclass issues.

Its a legitimate discussion point, and I think most people here, (including more conservative minded UT'ers) would agree with the goal of minimizing "Absolute Poverty" and ensuring opportunities for anyone willing to take them.

But that is really a separate discussion from gentrification which largely revolves around whether impoverished communities should be ameliorated; and whether as part of that process some of the poor may move addresses.

Well, those are more often than not the immigrants who bastardized good old Victorians and Edwardians anyway, so the suburbs can keep 'em while the gentrifiers either restore said Victorians/Edwardians, or maintain the bastardations as emblems of past ownership;)
If you read some of the comments here,this is considered 'class displacement' apparently and those moving in to restore those lovely old houses are evil gentrifiers seeking to take advantage of the poor immigrant who doesn't know any better since he wants to leave for the 'burbs. Check out the last few pages of comments on here. I'd make light of it if the poster wasn't so serious in his ridiculous assertions....particularly about him reading a few books and apparently understanding the evolution of our communities better than those of us who live there.

What I don't understand is in one thread Laz argues against gentrification, and in another one he thinks we should sever transportation links to beyond the 416 to discourage too many people from traveling for work. Where are these people supposed to work, if run-down areas can't be moved upscale, if condo developers can't buy property to build on, if money can't move around freely?

Like I said before, those smart enough in an urban neighbourhood can exploit gentrification in the sense that "hey, I can find a job now at the local Starbucks", but far be it from me to blame the poor for their own problems. We all know it's the evil capitalists who inflict their poverty on them.

When I first hit town in the early '90s, I had a crappy bachelor basement on Sheldrake. Moved from there after a year or two to a marginally-less-basement (but 2 bedroom) in a six-plex on Strathgowan, then two years later to a place on Ontario. Our first house buy brought us to the People's Republic of Riverdale, and also moved out our timelines -- we were there for 10+ years.

Looks like you're doing the usual "I'm employed, and I will use my gains to improve my life, instead of buying beer" routine, like the rest of us. I moved to Toronto 5 years ago, shared a bachelor with another renter for a while on Sherbourne across from the Phoenix, and now I own a condo with my fiance. It's what happens when you get off your ass and stop blaming society for your problems.

Nothing like a break from a forum... or more like, nothing like not having time for it 'cause of damn classes.

No offense, but in my mind I am picturing you as a hot-headed 21 year-old undergrad....

I am a Grad student, who was introduced to gentrification several years ago in an undergrad class.

I feel ya man. I really do. The point of the topic was supposed to be about neighborhoods in Toronto alone, but it kinda blew over into gentrification itself.

And when it comes to gentrification, we've had no where near the intensity of it as many American cities

While Toronto has not had some of the ferocity, should I say Revanchism, it was nonetheless one of the places which had gentrification early on. Regardless of where one goes, there are parallels of gentrification. The process might be a bit harsher or a bit lighter in some places, but it nonetheless happens and there are common things in gentrification, regardless of where it is. Ley, a very influential guy in the literature, has noted that tens of thousands have been displaced by gentrification throughout Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

I'd like to hear Laz's view on this phenomenon in respect to his gentrification position.

Bear with me, 'cause for organization of the post, I will leave that at the bottom.

If you've read more than one scholarly work on gentrification, surely you've realized by now that virtually all of the negatives associated with gentrification are created by scholars...not identified, created.

Never have I encountered such a ludicrous statement. Someone talking about the literature who clearly has not read much if any of it. Qualitative and quantitative research over the decades, and the subsequent publications in both countless journal articles and books is so overwhelming that anyone who even bothers to scratch the surface of it will be amazed to read such a statement that you wrote.

First off, renewing an area, which is at the heart of so-called gentrification can not, in and of itself be viewed as a bad thing.

It all depends with what lens you view it. If you want to take a narrow lens, and look at only certain aspects, then yeah, it can be great. But if we are going to limit ourselves like that, we will fail to see the big picture.

By what rationale could this be bad?

Why don't you look up what could be bad, instead of narrowing yourself to the developer's rhetoric? Are you a developer? The bad things are very big. Here are a few points....

1) Mixed income might sound nice. But think of the original community in question. What is happening to them? No way in bloody hell are you going to see the entire community be compensated or even allowed to remain where they were. The community is uprooted. Now, wait, am I crazy, if it is mixed income then what am I talking about? Here is the trick to understand where I am coming from... it is not mixed income for all those people. Only a fraction of those people who were there originally are actually left. Usually mixed income allocated ten percent to the poor. That is only 10 percent of the new development. Let suppose that density remains the same, then where do the following 90% go? Has this not occurred to you? Further, what complicates this is that it often goes way under 10%, down to 5%. Why? Because these former residents compete for the new stuff with other poor who apply. It is not like the old neighborhood can be there again, only some of the old residents can manage to get into the 10%. So consider that closer to 5 percent of the former residents stay. Those lucky enough to stay, of course. And so the question comes down to what is wrong with displacing 90+% of a community? The question answers itself.

2) Good old mixed income eh? Many promoters of gentrification have time and again said that mixed income should be spread all out over the city to work, in order to not have high concentration of poor. What is the problem here then? Well, the problem is that it does not happen. It has not happened. It will not happen. We do not see the poor being moved to rich peoples communities. It's a one way process, where poor get displaced from their neighborhoods. If we are to support mixed income strategies, then we could at least follow the lead of gentrification supports, and start allocating space for the poor in the rich neighborhoods. As said, has not happened, is not happening, and will not happen. Mixed income is a joke, whose end effect is displacement. Nice.

3) Three strikes you're out. Lets get you a quote from a punk who I mentioned before, Lance Freeman. He, a big supporter of gentrification, seems to have come to his senses lately. Lets see what he said. While saying that redevelopment is good, he says "there are, however, significant potential downsides to this revitalization, including the loss of affordable housing, conflict between newcomers and more established residents, and resentment stemming from feelings of irrelevance; the neighborhood improvements are not for them." So, this rat Freeman has finally moved towards looking at gentrification as a process whose negative effects have to be dampened. The rat had finally come clean, somewhat at least. There is so much evidence how this is a harmful process, that he can't even sit there and say that it is something from which everyone benefits from... simply because it isn't!

4) you struck out bud. So I'll give you strike four. It's on me. here's some stuff to enlighten you, and that previous dude.
"The eviction of critical perspectives from Gentrification Research" by Tom Slater.
http://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/homes/tslater/evicton.pdf
Enjoy.

In Toronto we have rent control for existing tenants (no control when vacancies occur). This protects established tenants from facing huge rent increases that they could not otherwise sustain, merely because an area has become trendy.

I think that it depends where exactly, and to what extent. Rent does increase and people do get displaced. Further, what I may have mentioned before, one does not have to increase rent in order to push someone out. People can be pushed out. Ghettos are created when the landlords decide not to invest in their build environment anymore. This, and other actions, which can go as extreme as arson. There is a word for this. But how would you know about it, as you are not interested in the literature. Look it up, the word's Winkling.

apparently and those moving in to restore those lovely old houses are evil gentrifiers seeking to take advantage of the poor immigrant who doesn't know any better since he wants to leave for the 'burbs.

Hey man, don't paint me like that. I said that the process is bad. I did not say that individual people are bad. Indeed, the early gentrifiers, which you seem to be describing here were like that. They were people who were looking for freedom and rights. They were people who were trying to escape injustices. Women, gays, and others. Disenfranchised people. Some scholars have said that these people are often looking for an alternative to the damn suburbs, and structures that have been imposed on them. I feel their pain. I really do.

So where is the problem? I'll tell you. The problem is that the overwhelming majority of gentrification nowadays is not about some pioneer gentrifier going into a building, breaking is sweat to live in the place. Who are the gentrifiers nowadays for the most part? They are developers, big multi million - er, should I say billion, tycoonists who care only for one thing - increasing their piles of cash. And naturally, the city is going to support them, as the city is their slave. The city is the whore of the rich, as it needs their tax money. You know, nowadays with the free market economy we can't keep industry in the city. Things like manufacturing go to places like the tyrannical regime of china because their slaves, er, repressed people earn only like 40 cents and hour.

Laz argues against gentrification, and in another one he thinks we should sever transportation links to beyond the 416 to discourage too many people from traveling for work. Where are these people supposed to work, if run-down areas can't be moved upscale, if condo developers can't buy property to build on, if money can't move around freely?

Hey, we can not just cut off links beyond 416. That is not possible, and never will be possible, However, we should strive to go towards something like that, to stop supporting suburbanization. Taking one step in this direction would be huge, for sustainable development.

One does not have to do this by gentrifying the people out. Why must that happen? It shouldn't. Those neighborhoods should themselves improve. We should not displace the poor and make them a problem for another community. What is the alternative? Well, this is really debateable, and beyond the scope of this discussion. But, stopping low density suburban sprawl would be a great step in the right direction!

Forgive me, I had to trim this down, for I got this message... 1. The text that you have entered is too long. Please shorten it to 10000 characters long.

This is the only time that I have been forced to double post.

It's not like Italians moving to Woodbridge from Corso Italia are being replaced by significantly more wealthy residents.
----

*Applause*

I'd like to hear Laz's view on this phenomenon in respect to his gentrification position.

I'll edit this post, replying to you with the edit. Bear with me, will you?

On a side note... I like bears. They're cuddly.

Back