News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Here is Bettman on a few of those topics:

* On Balsillie as a possible owner of another Toronto team: "Nobody has been identified as a potential owner and nobody has a divine right if we're gonna do that franchise. Frankly, if we're gonna put a franchise there, we would look at anybody and everybody who would be interested and pick the person who we think would be best."
* On Toronto as a site for relocation: "My gut sense is, when you look at that market, there are lots of people who love hockey and it's a pretty vibrant and rich market, but it's not that simple. One, I find it hard to believe that we as a league would have any appetite to go into an antique building. So, if we ever went down that road, we would need a new building. How's it gonna get built? How's it going to be built? Where's it going to be put? All things nobody's given any thought to whatsoever."
* On what would create a window for either of these things to happen: If we get to a point that we're moving a franchise or we decide to expand, neither of which we're doing right now, we will open it up, study it and look at all comers to see what might make sense and what would be the best thing for this league.

Still makes me laugh when I see this...

Bettman doesn't know squat about hockey.
He's being careful about a second team in Toronto but he didn't think twice about moving the Jets to Phoenix or giving NASHVILLE a team.

The nashville fiasco=Bettman fails at life...

Any moron knew Nashville would never work except the expert...Gary ''Anti-Canadian'' Bettman
He needs to be remove and FAST

The Mississauga area would probably be the best choice for a second NHL team in the GTA.
They have a larger population,infastructure and household income than any of the above recomended Canadian citys exept Toronto,They also would rate ahead of a dozen or so American citys that already have an NHL franchise.

Definitely this fast growing city of close to 1 million people,and over 8.5 million in a 120km radius is a shoe-in to get a franchise if available.

Any moron knew Nashville would never work except the expert...Gary ''Anti-Canadian'' Bettman
He needs to be remove and FAST

I'm no Betman fan, but this guy was responsible for keeping teams like the Oilers and Flames from going under in the 90s with a quite generous subsidy program. It really isn't fair to say he is anti-Canadian.

I don't understand why there is any resistance at all to a 2nd team in the Toronto area. It makes very good business sense for the league as it would make TONS of cash.
Also, the NYC area has 3 teams so it isn't without precedent to put multiple teams in a strong market.

There are two teams in LA as well. If we look at every other sport, there is a precedent of putting two teams in the strongest market(s). The only anomaly is the NFL which doesn't have any teams in LA right now, but as recent as the early 90s they had two.

Even further, look at soccer in Europe. Just in England, London itself has 5 teams in the Premier League (6 last year), The Liverpool/Manchester area has 6 teams as well. 3 are in very close proximity in northern England and two are in Birmingham. the only non-derby clubs this season are Portsmouth, Hull City and Stoke City. Yet all of these teams exist quite easily and are well supported. It's a very North American way of thinking to say that cities can't support multiple teams. The problem is that we look at our clubs as franchises with territorial rights (like a Starbucks or Mcdonalds), whereas over there they are more like social clubs and have a lot to do with class, community and even religion. I wish we had that here.

I'm not much of a sports guy, but I'd like to see a second Toronto team or possibly a Hamilton team. If the team were located in any other city though, an "Ontario" name might be better than the city name for fear of making the NHL sound too provincial.

I'm not much of a sports guy, but I'd like to see a second Toronto team or possibly a Hamilton team. If the team were located in any other city though, an "Ontario" name might be better than the city name for fear of making the NHL sound too provincial.

So, the way to avoid sounding provincial is to name a team after a province?

He said making the NHL seem too Provincial, not the team. It would make the NHL sound like the OHL (a Provincial hockey league) with small city/town teams.

He said making the NHL seem too Provincial, not the team. It would make the NHL sound like the OHL (a Provincial hockey league) with small city/town teams.

sorry for omitting the smiley from my post.....I didn't think it was necessary.

ya... as if people like Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt haven't been grilling Bettman for years. If we really think George is going to get answers when the best of the best of sports journalists can't get anything but rhetoric and denial, then you're delusional.

take your pick:

The Vaughan Sprawlers
The Oshawa Pogies
The Mississauga McCallionistas
The York Region Commuters
The Kitchener Waterloo Blackberries
The Barrie Mullet Rockers

Back