News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

orange: my reply had nothing to do with the NY islanders team. i was talking about the toronto islands. NY has two teams and one is called the islanders and since toronto has islands, i thought it'd be a funny parallel.

Ok. I thought you were talking about the New York Islanders obviously because of their name.

woodbine is a location for a possible arena.Alex Snaider could be the guy thats interested in bringing another team to toronto,apparently he was interested in purchasing the leafs awhile back ( a toronto life article i beleive)

Maybe another big company like Rogers or Bell would like to get this into their stable? Having a team in Hamilton or anywhere in SW Ontario would destroy the Sabres.

Maybe another big company like Rogers or Bell would like to get this into their stable? Having a team in Hamilton or anywhere in SW Ontario would destroy the Sabres.
i can see rogers getting involved with a second team.this year they bought a few more games from the leafs meaning there would be less shown on leafs tv than last year.if another team did come toronto i could see rogers picking up the rights to televise that team and the leafs would then be able to show most of their games on leafs tv (similiar to MSG network in NY) and charge a premium to advertisers and have more people sign up to the channel $. the leafs are positioning themselves as the premium brand of hockey in toronto and are definately going to take over the corporate and wealthy fans into their stable.a second team in toronto being more affordable to blue collars would do extremely well as their passion is unmatched(see toronto fc fans)

I don't feel like it's Rogers. Rogers seems to be so obsessed with getting the NFL that I don't know if they have the energy to go for an NHL team as well. Not to say it couldn't happen because heaven knows Rogers likes money (it's the only reason Ted is in the sports business. He actually isn't much of a sports fan) but I just don't think hockey is a priority.

woodbine is a location for a possible arena.Alex Snaider could be the guy thats interested in bringing another team to toronto,apparently he was interested in purchasing the leafs awhile back ( a toronto life article i beleive)
silly me. the Weston family could be a possibility considering they own MLG.seems weird that they havent done anything with the place since they bought it in 2003.could there have been a clause in the sale that prevented them from using the gardens as a hockey facillity for 5 years ? hmm possible.considering the gardens is prime location perhaps an investment of 100-150 milion to modernize the inside makes sense,heck even Ballsille is planning to spend that much on a Copps reno.

Maple Leaf Gardens is too old for an NHL team - not gonna happen. If Toronto ever gets a second team they'll play in the ACC or a new arena.

More than likely they would build a new arena. The amount of revenue that can be acquired from holding concerts and other events is where owner's really make their money. If you look at a lot of the more successful franchises not just in hockey but in every sport, the teams that own their own arena tend to be the most successful financially. I don't see why a team would want to spend millions renting the ACC when they could invest that money in an arena and use it as a revenue driver.

Maple Leaf Gardens is way too old and there's nothing that can be done to fix it up for professional hockey. Much of the revenue generated by hockey teams stems from private boxes. Not sure what the Leafs charge, but a lower tier team like the Columbus Blue Jackets were selling their boxes for 250k per season. I'd imagine the Leafs are at least double that, and another Toronto team could do similar numbers. That's a significant source of revenue that they could not squeeze out of MLG, so it really doesn't make a lot of sense.

silly me. the Weston family could be a possibility considering they own MLG.seems weird that they havent done anything with the place since they bought it in 2003.could there have been a clause in the sale that prevented them from using the gardens as a hockey facillity for 5 years ? hmm possible.considering the gardens is prime location perhaps an investment of 100-150 milion to modernize the inside makes sense,heck even Ballsille is planning to spend that much on a Copps reno.

I think the plan is to turn it into a Loblaws. It isn't big enough for a modern arena, I would think.

There's a clause in the purchasing agreement for MLG that prevents the owners from holding events that directly compete with events at MLG (EDIT: This should be ACC/Ricoh) (ie. concerts, hockey teams, etc.) so the possibility of ever seeing it as a sporing venue is low. The only hope is that the MLG corporation dies, but considering their financial health at the moment, that seems unlikely.

There's a clause in the purchasing agreement for MLG that prevents the owners from holding events that directly compete with events at MLG (ie. concerts, hockey teams, etc.

can't they just sell it to "another" corporation and be free of that agreement? or do new owners have to inherit that clause?

I can't imagine how such a clause could be perpetual. Isn't there some sort of anti-trust issue with that? I'm sure down the line it could be fought in the courts.

Back