News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

One more reason why Toronto needs a new stadium? ...

http://www.seattlepi.com/scorecard/nflnews.asp?articleID=188639

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Report: Super Bowl could be staged in London

New York, NY (Sports Network) - The National Football League will reportedly move its marquee game outside the United States for the first time within the next eight years.

According to the Sunday Telegraph, the NFL has assured London officials that their city will host the Super Bowl as early as 2014. An official announcement is expected at some point in the next 12 months.

Football's title game would be held at Wembley Stadium, which has hosted two sellout regular season games thus far and will welcome the Patriots and Buccaneers for a regular season matchup next season.

Bid packages for the 2014 Super Bowl must be released by November, and a final decision on the location will be made at the following spring meeting.

London is already the site of the 2012 Summer Olympics and is attempting to secure the 2018 World Cup. The report states that the Super Bowl could bring upwards of 350 million pounds in revenue to the city.

The Tokyo Giants get 40,000 to their games. 40,000 is pathetic for a metropolitan area pushing 20,000,000.

Exactly! People need to put things into context. A massive city can draw 40,000 to practically anything. It's hardly a good gauge of support for a sport or event. 40,000 people out to an event in Regina is a completely different thing. You know it's a big deal if you get 1 out of every 5 residents to show up. It's shocking how simplistic some people's reasoning skills are.

One more reason why Toronto needs a new stadium? ...

http://www.seattlepi.com/scorecard/nflnews.asp?articleID=188639

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Report: Super Bowl could be staged in London.

That's about as absurd as it gets. We don't even have adequate stadia for our own teams and we'd contemplate building one for 2 teams from a foreign country that will play here once? We'd get more bang for the buck spending half a billion on a stadium for the Argonaut and Varsity Blues football teams. At least that would be for our own teams to use.

Last edited:
^ It doesn't make sense. It'd take 50 years for the Argos to make enough money to pay off a stadium that expensive. They can't even afford to build one at 5% of that price. Also, who are these two foreign teams that we're building a $500million stadium for? Does he mean building an Olympic Stadium? If so, I still don't get it...

I'm surprised the NFL would ever play the super bowl in London. I'll have to look into it to see who gets the profits from the Super Bowl (whether it's split 32 ways, or if the host team gets a greater share) but I can't see that making any economic sense for the league. Hell, TV stations make hand fulls of millions off of commercials alone. A game in a timezone 5 hours ahead might make it a bit difficult to get those same dollar figures (unless they start it at 1am London time... but even then there's so many other red flags that get raised)

I wasn't serious about Toronto building a stadium just to accommodate the next Super Bowl. But now that a non-US, non-NFL city is reportedly getting the Super Bowl, it's not a stretch to speculate that the next time the NFL wants to do something like this, Toronto would be among a handful of world cities that would be on the league's list (I would guess that other cities on that list would include Mexico City, Tokyo, Beijing or even Montreal if Olympic Stadium can be used).

(I would guess that other cities on that list would include Mexico City, Tokyo, Beijing or even Montreal if Olympic Stadium can be used).

What would make anyone think there is an untapped potential NFL market in Montreal?

What would make anyone think there is an untapped potential NFL market in Montreal?

Not sure that is what he said....I think he said if the NFL was open to holding the Super Bowl in non-NFL cities that Toronto and Montreal might be part of the list of non-NFL cities with a chance to host.

I don't think they would be but I also don't think he said that Montreal had the chance to be an NFL city/market.

Not sure that is what he said....I think he said if the NFL was open to holding the Super Bowl in non-NFL cities that Toronto and Montreal might be part of the list of non-NFL cities with a chance to host.

I don't think they would be but I also don't think he said that Montreal had the chance to be an NFL city/market.

Presumably the NFL would be looking at foreign cities where there would be the potential for a lot of attention, either for just the Superbowl or longer term for a possible team or maybe just fans for the existing NFL.

If none of that is present in a city such as Montreal, why would it be on the NFL's list? I'm sure they'd be looking at qualifications beyond just being large, non-US cities with possibly an existing stadium.

Maybe I'm wrong though and there really is a lot of pent-up Montreal demand for the NFL product.

Presumably the NFL would be looking at foreign cities where there would be the potential for a lot of attention, either for just the Superbowl or longer term for a possible team or maybe just fans for the existing NFL.

If none of that is present in a city such as Montreal, why would it be on the NFL's list? I'm sure they'd be looking at qualifications beyond just being large, non-US cities with possibly an existing stadium.

Maybe I'm wrong though and there really is a lot of pent-up Montreal demand for the NFL product.

I think you are right and I don't think Montreal would be on the list of non-NFL "world" cities that would be candidates to host the Super Bowl....I was just correcting the mistaken impression that the other poster might have suggested Montreal was NFL ready....he just seemed to me to believe that Montreal was Super Bowl ready.

^ I put Montreal on the list as a potential Super Bowl city, not an NFL city.

Super Bowl host cities must meet one of two criteria... either they are located in a region that is still warm in January or February, or a city in a cold climate with a sizable indoor stadium (such as Ford Field in Detroit, which hosted in 2006). Montreal, with Olympic Stadium, seems to fit the second criteria.

Super Bowl host cities must meet one of two criteria... either they are located in a region that is still warm in January or February, or a city in a cold climate with a sizable indoor stadium (such as Ford Field in Detroit, which hosted in 2006). Montreal, with Olympic Stadium, seems to fit the second criteria.

If that were the only criteria, you would be right.....but I think the big owe is far behind stadia like Ford Field, the new Wembley, Dallas, etc. in terms of revenue generation (read that as corporate) facilities. I would wager a fair amount that there will never be a super bowl in Montreal.

I understand that, but I was asking about what would lead anyone (particularly the NFL) to believe that there was a Super Bowl worthy market in Montreal. Just because they have a Super Bowl capable stadium does not mean they would have a Super Bowl sized crowd, advertising and TV package.

1) The Argos need their own football-only stadium.
2) Rogers Centre (Skydome) is an integral part of the Toronto cityscape and an important part of its history. There's no denying that.
3) That said, the dome is definately getting on in the years and it really does need more work. I hit up the Jays game May 12th with some buddies, and something just didn't feel right about it. Sure there are new high tech video boards and a new 100 level concourse, but remnants of the cold, stony concrete interior still remain. Also, where are the escalators I might ask? Enough with the creepy concrete ramps between levels.
4) The dome itself looks awful when closed. I'm no engineer, but my God they should try to do something it. Replacing it with a glass roof would be spectacular and would really liven the place up.
5) Outfield: The hotel/restaurant/Hard Rock Cafe facade looks utterly cheesy to me now. I don't know if an entire facelift of the outfield is possible, but something more visually pleasing would do wonders to the place as well. Maybe reducing the 3 tiered outfield seats to one smaller section of bleachers, and then incorporating the restaurants and hotel in a better fashion.

Back