News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

You've missed a couple of chapters in the Argo saga. The owners proposed a 20-25k revamp of the crumbling Varsity, but UT decided to go student-only at 5k. A proposed York U stadium was, IMO, nothing more than a red herring to try and get the Varsity deal and/or a better deal at SkyDome back before it was Rogers Centre. Neither idea is still doable.

Sure, I may have missed a couple of chapters, but what about from the university side?

They had one proposal about 10 years ago that entailed a sizable stadium, residences and commercial on Bloor. Problem was a large chunk of funding needed to come from student levies. When it went to a referendum, the students said they weren't contributing and they had to go back to the drawing board.

Did the plan the Argos owners had that you refer to include providing all the necessary financing? If they didn't have the money in place, then they weren't going to get their stadium built.

Further, any stadium with that kind of capacity would not have space for an international class track (the old Varsity cinder track was definitely not eight lanes). The new one does and for the first time in literally decades, world class track can be held in Canada's largest city.

In June alone there will be North America's largest high school meet (OFSAA), the Canadian championships and an international meet featuring multi-Olympic gold medalist and world record holder Usain Bolt.

No disrespect to new Varsity intended nor you intended

The Argos didn't get far enough along (due to UT opposition) to put all the financing together, but they were trying to get the city and UT to kick in. I don't know if it could have been done or not.

I'm a big fan of that stretch of Bloor these days. Between Spadina to the west and University Avenue to the east, we've seen a new residence, a great revamp of Varsity, the beautiful new Royal Conservatory of Music addition, and the ROM Crystal. When the condos on the north side get finished, it'll be an even better walk than now.

I don't really buy the hype surrounding purpose-built "retro" ballparks, especially the "build it and they will come" theory surrounding them. And sometimes when they have small crowds they feel just as empty and lifeless as SkyDome. Anybody catching the last part of Saturday's game where the Cleveland Indians killed the Yankees 22-4 at New Yankee Stadium would understand - you could hear a pin drop at Yankee Stadium towards the last part of the game. No amount of architecture would be able to rally those fans.

Well, clearly a load of people are going to leave the game early when it's a blowout like that. I don't think Yankee stadium is a good example because it's huge and they do regularly fill it up, average attendance for the past 5 years has been around 50k compared to the blue jays 30k.

Well, clearly a load of people are going to leave the game early when it's a blowout like that. I don't think Yankee stadium is a good example because it's huge and they do regularly fill it up, average attendance for the past 5 years has been around 50k compared to the blue jays 30k.

But, I think, wyliepoon's point is that the "lifeless" criticism of SkyDome is unfair and that the new retro parks are no more life-ful when they are empty....it is just that they are not empty as often.

Put 50k in SkyDome it is very exciting....but 25k in Jacob's Field (or whatever it is called now) and it feels lifeless.

The solution to making Jays games more fun is not a new stadium....it is getting people to go to the old one!

I don't even know what the business is in referring to Skydome as "cookie cutter", except as a generic label for the pre-Camden Yard paradigm. You got to face it: not only was it decently built, it's managed to fit itself into the urban fabric just fine and snugly--whereas most of those "cookie cutters" were insular hulks, even when they were located downtown. They were symbols of the "anti-urban"; whereas Skydome/Rogers is, in its way, just as urban as Camden Yard--and maybe as such, a paradoxical advance symbol of the tide turning on behalf of the Camden Yard approach...

I don't even know what the business is in referring to Skydome as "cookie cutter", except as a generic label for the pre-Camden Yard paradigm. You got to face it: not only was it decently built, it's managed to fit itself into the urban fabric just fine and snugly--whereas most of those "cookie cutters" were insular hulks, even when they were located downtown. They were symbols of the "anti-urban"; whereas Skydome/Rogers is, in its way, just as urban as Camden Yard--and maybe as such, a paradoxical advance symbol of the tide turning on behalf of the Camden Yard approach...

As far as I know, 'cookie cutter' refers to the symmetrical, circular design and the fact it's multi-purpose - which doesn't allow for the odd corners and quirky walls of the Camden types. Thankfully, it was designed with much more thought than the old clunkers from the 60's and 70's, but it still shares a lot with those stadiums.

I don't even know what the business is in referring to Skydome as "cookie cutter", except as a generic label for the pre-Camden Yard paradigm.

This view of Skydome looks very "cookie-cutter" to me. The context might not make it cookie-cutter, but remove the retractable roof, the hotel, Hard Rock, most of the amenities and the glass-concrete facade and what you have left is a classic cookie-cutter stadium.

(It looked even more cookie-cutter years ago when this photo was taken, when the Jays still played on Astroturf)

2442601636_e0ff86b985_o.jpg

Well...maybe it's a case of "does that make it bad, really?" A stadium is a stadium is a stadium--maybe we should be thinking of it analogously to US's defenses of Jack Diamond and the 4SC...

This view of Skydome looks very "cookie-cutter" to me. The context might not make it cookie-cutter, but remove the retractable roof, the hotel, Hard Rock, most of the amenities and the glass-concrete facade and what you have left is a classic cookie-cutter stadium.

[/IMG]

So, I think, you are saying remove all of the things that make it unique...and it is not unique anymore? No?

Rogers Centre is perfect for Toronto

So, I think, you are saying remove all of the things that make it unique...and it is not unique anymore? No?

I think that SkyDome has a ton of things going for it (location is a big one), and the renovation Rogers did has definitely brought it back to life. But the thing which makes it perfect for Toronto is the retractable roof. IMHO, the Twins are making a horrible mistake. They'll have ridiculously crappy crowds at Target Field for April, May and probably late October if they're out of it.

Watching a game at the Hard Rock is a lot o' fun for the casual baseball fan like myself. Is there other venues like it at other ballparks?

Last year their average attendance was 29,189. Hamilton's average was 20,784.

Exactly! 29,189 is pathetic for a city pushing 6,000,000. Regina's average attendance last year was higher than that and there's only 200,000 people in the entire CMA of Regina. The Argonauts will do ok, but is that really satisfactory? A population that's in tune with a team should be the goal. 30,000 out of 6,000,000 ensures viability, but it's hardly impressive.

We really should be aiming to build the Argonauts into a franchise that always sells out Rogers Centre coupled with a 30,000 person waiting list for season's tickets. Build the team to the point where game day is a big deal right across metro, where players are revered and idolized by kids, and where the city comes to a halt Grey Cup day. It's going to take a lot of time, money, and a broad based reconnection between the team and the people of Toronto to get there. Strong bonds like that between Torontonians and their football team haven't existed here since the 70s. There is lots of work to be done.

Great exaggerations.

First of all, the Argos are doing just fine. They have a strong base, and in 2007 they had their highest average attendance figures since 1992 (30,000 people/game). I don't know what last year's figures were, but they can't be far off. They also have owners that are very committed to the community and the team. So, you can forget this "no one cares about the Argos" business. Also, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that an NFL team in Toronto would cause people to "throw away" the Argos. The two can exist, and in fact some smart partnerships between the two could result in a stronger Argos presence. For example, if you buy season tickets to the NFL team you'd need to buy season tickets for the argos, or something along those lines. Rogers and Tanenbaum probably don't want to be considered the group that ended the CFL, so they're not about to let that happen.

Second, hockey is going to die in Toronto? Seriously, maybe one of the stupidest comments I've ever read here. You have a team in an ever-expanding market where divorce settlements revolve around who gets to keep the season tickets. Oh and there's a 20 year waiting list for seasons tickets (so that takes you to at least 2029). You make it sound like because people like soccer and cricket, that they can't like the Leafs or hockey, and that's just not true.

In that nonsense, I'm going to bring it back to one point that you inadvertently made. The Argos probably need to move to a stadium that is CFL suitable. Obviously a move to BMO won't and shouldn't happen, but do they have other options that haven't already been addressed (such as Varsity and York U...)?

You seem to be missing the whole point of the argument. I'm not disputing that the Argonauts are without a strong fan base or that no one cares about the Argonauts. I haven't said that any where. You have to have blinders on to believe that Toronto hasn't largely tuned out though. You may consider 30,000 fine, but that's not good attendance for a city of 6,000,000. Walk into any sports bar in the city, gym, high school, etc. and the majority of people don't follow the Argonauts. That is a huge problem. You may think that 30,000 a game equates to things being fine, but that's plain fool hardy.

I tried finding a sports bar on Yonge Street to watch the Grey Cup last year. Most people walking up and down the street were oblivious that it was even taking place. I went into Hoops Sports bar and had to request one channel be turned to the Grey Cup from a regular NFL game. When the general population are that tuned out and a sports bar is packed to watch regular NFL while the CFL championship is going on there is a massive problem whether you care to admit it or not.

No where have I said that hockey is going to die in Toronto either. You're making ridiculous assumptions and leaps of logic as to what I'm arguing that just don't exist. I clearly indicated that I was portraying a mentality that exists today for football, and making the point that no cultural pursuit is immune from a decline in popularity. I even put it in quotes to show that I was portraying a view point of a segment of society that exists today. That you are unaware of these views doesn't mean that these views don't exist and pointing out that some people hold these views doesn't mean that I do. I don't hold those views. I'm not sure why you're suggesting that I do.

The point is that cultural shifts are occurring and that popularity today doesn't ensure popularity 30 years from now. If you want to read that to mean that I'm arguing that hockey is going to die, go ahead, but you're reading things that I clearly haven't written or argued. There are beneficial lessons to be learned from careful observation.

In the future, please read what is written and attempt to grasp the message that is being conveyed rather than reaching conclusions that aren't there at all. Stupidity is not understanding what is being conveyed to you.

The Argos probably need to move to a stadium that is CFL suitable.

That's the only sensible point you made. The Rogers Centre is an awful place to watch football. The Argonauts need a facility that is better suited to their needs, and a stadium design that allows for it to grow with the hopeful resurgence in popularity of the team amongst Torontonians. It needs to be a 35,000 seat stadium with good sight lines, no athletics track, and located centrally. Perhaps, in 10 years bring it up to 45,000; 10 years later, another 10,000, and so on.

Last edited:
Maybe the media killed the CFL in Toronto. I don't know. Maybe it's time to send the dead horse to the glue factory and stop beating it. Toronto needs an NFL team, then it'll care about American football again.

Exactly! 29,189 is pathetic for a city pushing 6,000,000. Regina's average attendance last year was higher than that and there's only 200,000 people in the entire CMA of Regina. The Argonauts will do ok, but is that really satisfactory? A population that's in tune with a team should be the goal. 30,000 out of 6,000,000 ensures viability, but it's hardly impressive.

We really should be aiming to build the Argonauts into a franchise that always sells out Rogers Centre coupled with a 30,000 person waiting list for season's tickets. Build the team to the point where game day is a big deal right across metro, where players are revered and idolized by kids, and where the city comes to a halt Grey Cup day. It's going to take a lot of time, money, and a broad based reconnection between the team and the people of Toronto to get there. Strong bonds like that between Torontonians and their football team haven't existed here since the 70s. There is lots of work to be done.

You seem to be missing the whole point of the argument. I'm not disputing that the Argonauts are without a strong fan base or that no one cares about the Argonauts. I haven't said that any where. You have to have blinders on to believe that Toronto hasn't largely tuned out though. You may consider 30,000 fine, but that's not good attendance for a city of 6,000,000. Walk into any sports bar in the city, gym, high school, etc. and the majority of people don't follow the Argonauts. That is a huge problem. You may think that 30,000 a game equates to things being fine, but that's plain fool hardy.

I tried finding a sports bar on Yonge Street to watch the Grey Cup last year. Most people walking up and down the street were oblivious that it was even taking place. I went into Hoops Sports bar and had to request one channel be turned to the Grey Cup from a regular NFL game. When the general population are that tuned out and a sports bar is packed to watch regular NFL while the CFL championship is going on there is a massive problem whether you care to admit it or not.

I don't think I missed the point. I simply said that they're "doing fine." Ya, they could be doing better and they have the potential to improve, but if 30,000 people is as good as it gets then so be it. If you want a parallel I'd suggest looking at attendance figures in Soccer over in Europe. I'm not talking about the Man Uniteds and Real Madrids of the world either. Looking at the French Football Ligue 1, which falls just short of the quality of top tier football in Europe (ranked 4th behind England, Spain, Italy) and is their national sport, attendance figures are pretty similar to what we have for the CFL (http://www.frenchleague.com/ligue1/stat/taux_remplissage.asp). Some teams like Lyon and Nancy are filling their stadium every game, while most teams are at least 2/3rds full.

Is the French League healthy? By all accounts it is. Could it be doing better? Of course, there's always room for improvement. Other than the very top-tier of elite sports leagues like the NFL or the Premier League, most leagues aren't meeting their maximum capacity. Especially in a day and age when there is so much competition for our dollars and attention, it can be difficult for teams and leagues to max out their potential. But, just because the stadiums aren't full, doesn't mean that the league isn't healthy. It just means that at this point in time, the CFL is a league that attracts that many people per game. If the stadium only fit 30,000 and it was full every game we'd call it a success, but because they're playing in a stadium that's well beyond their ability to fill it, we call it a failure? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It has a strong foundation, and I'd argue a foundation of 25,000 people is pretty good. I'm sure the Jays would take that.

I think the Argos do a good job of getting into the schools and the community. That's one thing they're well known for, and they've been a role model for other teams in the CFL when it comes to community relations. I don't know how this is translating into the market place, but perhaps when these kids have some disposable income, they'll go with their friends to see the Argos. That's probably the best you can hope for other than giving tickets away for free, which is what the NHL is doing in many markets.

No where have I said that hockey is going to die in Toronto either. You're making ridiculous assumptions and leaps of logic as to what I'm arguing that just don't exist. I clearly indicated that I was portraying a mentality that exists today for football, and making the point that no cultural pursuit is immune from a decline in popularity. I even put it in quotes to show that I was portraying a view point of a segment of society that exists today. That you are unaware of these views doesn't mean that these views don't exist and pointing out that some people hold these views doesn't mean that I do. I don't hold those views. I'm not sure why you're suggesting that I do.

The point is that cultural shifts are occurring and that popularity today doesn't ensure popularity 30 years from now. If you want to read that to mean that I'm arguing that hockey is going to die, go ahead, but you're reading things that I clearly haven't written or argued. There are beneficial lessons to be learned from careful observation.
Here's what you said:
In 1979, people would have thought anyone mad to suggest watching NFL, or that within a generation the Argonauts wouldn't be a big deal in Toronto. Look what happened!
First of all, the Argos now have a lot more competition in this city than they did in 1979. Its not just the NFL that has distracted people. The Jays and the Raptors and even now TFC have taken some of the hype. Not to mention, Toronto has evolved into a massive market over the last 30 years and there is so much more to do today than ever before, that it's no wonder the Argos lost a bit of luster. But, they're still as popular as ever. The same number of people attend games today as they did 30 years ago. The only difference is they play in a bigger stadium that makes it look like not as many people are going. I still hear stations like TSN and the Fan 590 talk about the Argos and the CFL everyday during the season. So I'd argue that culturally it only looks like the Argos have lost their market share because our market has grown, despite the fact there are probably as many or more people interested in the Argos today than 30 years ago. Should the interest in the team have grown with the market? Maybe. But like I said there's a lot of other things for Torontonians to do now.

I can feel the same thing happening to hockey. Another generation or two, and it will be hockey's turn to get the big boot in this city.

oh ok, didn't realize "feeling" and "saying" were two different things. I guess I'll be more careful next time to not put words in your mouth when you're only feeling them.
Anyways, I don't see hockey following the CFL's path though. It has grown exponentially with the market. Even with immigrants, the sport is growing. Let's face it, when people move here, they want to feel a part of the community, and for many it means watching hockey and being able to discuss the Leafs with their friends at work. People are curious by nature and if an entire population is enthralled by a team or a sport, then odds are outsiders will even show some interest. I think for the Argos, they were never as popular as the Leafs. They had their foundation of fans (as they do now) and, but no one was ever going nuts over them. Whereas, it's always been next to impossible to avoid the Leafs. I don't know why you say that something culturally driven can be tossed aside so easily. If anything, I'd say it's quite the opposite, and one only has to look at soccer in Europe to see that once a team is ingrained in the community, it has staying power and becomes an integral part of what it is to be from that community. Hell, I hate the Leafs, but even though I hate them, i have a relationship with them as a Torontonian that I don't have with (let's say) Calgary or Anaheim.
In the future, please read what is written and attempt to grasp the message that is being conveyed rather than reaching conclusions that aren't there at all. Stupidity is not understanding what is being conveyed to you.
This was a bit over the top and really unnecessary. I understood your point, and it wasn't a very good one, and you felt the same about my post. Let's just leave it at this and move on, because frankly i don't have time to keep making these large posts.
That's the only sensible point you made. The Rogers Centre is an awful place to watch football. The Argonauts need a facility that is better suited to their needs, and a stadium design that allows for it to grow with the hopeful resurgence in popularity of the team amongst Torontonians. It needs to be a 35,000 seat stadium with good sight lines, no athletics track, and located centrally. Perhaps, in 10 years bring it up to 45,000; 10 years later, another 10,000, and so on.
I agree, they need a new stadium, but what makes you think their popularity will expand? They've always played in front of a consistent number of fans, and that's just what the market dictates for the team and the league. We shouldn't feel shame that only 30,000 people attend games. It's a number that many leagues would kill for. You're living in a dreamworld if you honestly think that this team's popularity will grow so much that they expand their stadium to 50,000+. Hell, if you think they're going to be that popular one day then just keep them in the Dome, since a full Dome is a great experience.

Anyways, feel free to respond but I'm leaving it at that.

I don't think I missed the point. I simply said that they're "doing fine." Ya, they could be doing better and they have the potential to improve, but if 30,000 people is as good as it gets then so be it. They've always played in front of a consistent number of fans, and that's just what the market dictates for the team and the league. We shouldn't feel shame that only 30,000 people attend games. It's a number that many leagues would kill for. You're living in a dreamworld if you honestly think that this team's popularity will grow so much that they expand their stadium to 50,000+. Hell, if you think they're going to be that popular one day then just keep them in the Dome, since a full Dome is a great experience.

Yes they have attracted an average of 30,000 for the past 3 years but if you look at past statistics, for example in 2000-2003 they were averaging 15.000-17,000, in the mid seventies (1976-1978) the average was 45,000-48,000. If you look at the chart down below you will notice that the Argos average yearly attendence in the past 50 years has been like a rollercoaster.:eek:

Regarding being popular, no one can predict anything in the CFL, its not worth investing big money into some stadium just for the Argos when in fact their fan base is not secure.:confused:

http://www.argonauts.ca/page/home-attendance

The Tokyo Giants get 40,000 to their games. 40,000 is pathetic for a metropolitan area pushing 20,000,000. They should be getting 350,000 people at every game! ;)

Back