News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The problem is that, as far as GO commuting patterns are concerned, everyone is going to Union Station. The amount of people stopping over at Bloor is absolutely negligible, which is not to excuse the thoroughly shabby state of that station - if it can be called that - but to note that a big complex here would make very little sense. Something nice, clean, and simple would work for now.

I would imagine that Shibuya would be pretty quiet, too, if only a handful of trains stopped there on a siding.

Salvius:

Look at it this way, if there was regular DMU/EMU/anyrail service to the airport, and a proper intercahnge with the Bloor line, it would be very very busy.

I'd have no problem with the Milton line stopping at Bloor if we used trains that could service the stop more quickly than our current trains. To a European, i'm sure the whole of GO transit is rather embarrassing. The fact that it only operates during rush hours is pretty pathetic. Thank God for the Milton EA for all-day service. Even if it's only once an hour it's better than what we have now. But every half hour would be better. Every 20 minutes even better. Every 15 minutes would be good enough.

I'd have no problem with the Milton line stopping at Bloor if we used trains that could service the stop more quickly than our current trains. To a European, i'm sure the whole of GO transit is rather embarrassing. The fact that it only operates during rush hours is pretty pathetic. Thank God for the Milton EA for all-day service. Even if it's only once an hour it's better than what we have now. But every half hour would be better. Every 20 minutes even better. Every 15 minutes would be good enough.

Love the 10-15 minute service.

There is nothing stopping GO running express service that bypass various stops other than having the equipment and riders to justify the service in the first place. Service would see 15-30 minute service.

The first goal is to get all 7 day service on All the rail. At the same time, some lines would be upgraded to 20-30 minute service with another goal to get all service down to max 30 minutes on all lines. Some lines will only support 30-60 minutes service most of the times while others will see 10-15 minute service.

The one issue I have surrounding talking about service levels is that when there is nothing remotely close to regular, non-commuter service it is really hard to say with any certainty what demand will bring in a reality. It might be the case that some areas of the GTA can support commuter services, but off peak times might not have much of a customer base. Same is true of the reverse; some lines may exceed expectations quite dramatically.

I've always thought that the focus should be on creating a network that can handle bi-directional, frequent (read 10 minute service on most lines, even higher capacities along mainlines like lakeshore) service, buying trains that are flexible, quick, and easily adaptable to varying levels of service, and then seeing what happens. I would go further and say that this should also include setting up a crosstown line and adding as many stations as seems necessary. Once a network in the place service is simply a matter of creating schedules and would allow for express trains, skipped stations, large or small trains, without much thought (just as bus routes and schedules can be changed as service warrants without a second thought).

The GO buses give you a good idea of which lines would be ideal candidates for all-day service, namely Milton. That's not to say no other lines could benefit from it. I think all lines should have at least hourly service. Just having the service available will encourage more people to use it.

I think it would also depend on the station configuration through woodbridge. VIVA runs along Hwy 7 here and I'm sure YRT/VIVA would like to have a connection to GO there. However that would be very close to a 407 station. Plus the line crosses the hwy here on a bridge and there is very little physical space to put a station.

Correction: Street. 7 is not a highway.

And transportfan strikes a blow for semantics and nitpicking! Even though it is not known as anything else other than "Highway 7".

Given that Bay Street, Jarvis Street, Queen Street, McCaul Street, etc. are legally highways. In what way is 7 not a highway??

does the HTA only apply on highways? ;)

The name of the street and who has responsibility for it is totally unrelated.

Highway 7 is a York Region road. They could have renamed it Regional Road 7 or Andrae Griffith Parkway, but they chose to keep the name for reasons only they know.

The HTA applies to all public roadways.

I'm baffled by why they don't rename Highway 7 something a little more creative (and by that I do not mean Avenue 7). My vote goes for Di Biase Boulevard on the Vaughan side, and Avenue Bhaduria on the Markham side.

At least it's not called Highway 7 in Brampton, it's Bovaird and Queen.

Back