News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

6-10 seems a little excessive. Even with 5 km station spacing you could go with stations at.

Finch/Hwy 400 (potential communter parking lot off the 400, could take pressure off of Yorkdale station). And connects with Transit City's Finch line.

Emery village/Islington and Steeles area. Mix of industrial and residential in this area. Depends on the final station location

Woodbridge. Multiple possible station locations, but I forsee 1 maybe 2 max stations through Woodbridge. Prob 407 and then further north near Woodbridge Ave. or Kipling Ave

Maybe, maybe one more station in the Rutherford Rd/Major Mackenzie stretch before.

Bolton.

Yes I have a vested interest in this line :D

I don't think that a station at Islington & Steeles is a good idea if you're also going to have one at the 407. One at the 407 could connect to the transitway, while one at Islington could have walk-in potential. Both could have commuter parking, so what do we value most?

I think you and I are generally in agreement over where the stops should be in the 905 and outer 416, give or take 1 or 2 stations. Its the inner 416 where the debates will come from.

Woodbridge Heights states that 6 stations in excessive then goes on to propose 6 stations. Odd.

Bolton doesn't even have local transit service yet. Train service that relies completely on park-and-ride is pointless.

We all know there's latent demand for freguent all day service along the Weston Sub, but does such demand exist on the CP line? I have a feeling that the Bolton GO Line will still only run at peak hours even when the other lines have all-day frequent service. The same goes with the Seaton Line.

Bolton doesn't even have local transit service yet. Train service that relies completely on park-and-ride is pointless.

What about Oakville, Pickering, Georgetown, Stouffville, King City, and Bradford, all of which didn't have local transit when GO first started serving them?

I don't think that a station at Islington & Steeles is a good idea if you're also going to have one at the 407. One at the 407 could connect to the transitway, while one at Islington could have walk-in potential. Both could have commuter parking, so what do we value most?

I think you and I are generally in agreement over where the stops should be in the 905 and outer 416, give or take 1 or 2 stations. Its the inner 416 where the debates will come from.

Good point on Islington/Steeles. I agree it would be difficult to find a suitable station location. Too far East and you are in mostly industrial uses. If you push the station West you get more residential uses but then run very close to the 407. Perhaps a compromise would be to put the 407 transitway station south of the highway and build an access road from Islington.

I think it would also depend on the station configuration through woodbridge. VIVA runs along Hwy 7 here and I'm sure YRT/VIVA would like to have a connection to GO there. However that would be very close to a 407 station. Plus the line crosses the hwy here on a bridge and there is very little physical space to put a station.

Ah but don't forget now, the Milton line also bypasses the Bloor stop even though it'd be relatively simple to accomodate it ;)!

The only way I could foresee a permanent GO station at Black Creek/Eglinton is to shut down the existing stop in Weston. It's simply too close (roughly 1 km) otherwise.

I always assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the Milton trains bypassed Bloor because the schedule similarities between Milton and Georgetown trains would cause too many delays/conflicts. When I was a more frequent user of the Georgetown trains it always seemed to me that every morning we stopped at Bloor (letting virtually nobody off and absolutely nobody on) just so that the Milton train could pass us and get to work faster!!!

I always assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the Milton trains bypassed Bloor because the schedule similarities between Milton and Georgetown trains would cause too many delays/conflicts. When I was a more frequent user of the Georgetown trains it always seemed to me that every morning we stopped at Bloor (letting virtually nobody off and absolutely nobody on) just so that the Milton train could pass us and get to work faster!!!

The thinking has been that the Milton trains stops at Kipling with the subway is there and therefore no need to stop at Bloor.

With Both lines becoming all day service, stopping at Bloor will allow riders to go north or west on the other line.

Bloor is a pooooooor connection to TTC and will remain so until that 2nd entrance is built to connect both systems

Bloor is easily the most embarassing station in the GO network. Let me tell you why with a hypothetical story:

Imagine having a friend fly in from, say, London or Paris or Berlin and you tell them to get to your house in High Park using their own transportation. Instinctively, they look at a transit map and see that there is this station called "Bloor" that seems to be at the confluence of two "regional rail" lines that connects to a subway. "Oh" he thinks, "this must be some major hub". He would be flabbergasted to find out that it's basically an ashphalt curb with a few bus shelters and a ticketing shack that is open during service hours only. He would be further shocked by the lack of an easy and apparent subway connection, and the fact that only one of the two regional rail lines apparently makes a stop there.

In Europe, these inner suburban hub stations are enormous. They feature shopping malls, dry cleaners, food courts and all the trappings of the downtown central station. Even high speed intercity trains stop there because, in the words of Wendell Cox or, say, our very own Glen, "not everyone is going downtown".

This should be the basis for our expansion of transit in the suburbs - both the 905 and 416. Instead of stringing suburban arterials with streetcar rights-of-way, we should selectively find strategic suburban nodes along existing rail corridors, beef up the rail lines for regional rail service, design hub and spoke stations to coordinate with local bus services and concentrate future development there.

Well said Hipster.

Despite the better climate for transit that has emerged in the past few years, there are still some aspects of it that have a long way to go, and you just very nicely expressed one of the most important ones. Downtown is important, a lot of people live there and commute there. It is obvious why it gets the attention it does. But, not everyone lives downtown, not everyone goes downtown. Yet if you read through any plan developed by Metrolinx, AMT, STCUM, or whatever agency happens to be involved at the time, there is little, if any acknowledgment that these non-commuting patterns exist. Even airports, which in a country like Canada are rather important and busy transportation nodes, get minimal attention, and the attention it does get is about how to shuttle business people or travelers to and from downtown.

I want to be optimistic that these attitudes will change soon, but it still seems like there is a long way to go before this way of thinking of changes. Which is rather ironic because if places outside of the downtown centers, and travel to and/or from these places, was actually focused on, there would probably be a lot of support for the idea given that it is these areas that present opportunities to boost ridership and connect a great deal more people by rail than currently exists.

In Europe, these inner suburban hub stations are enormous. They feature shopping malls, dry cleaners, food courts and all the trappings of the downtown central station. Even high speed intercity trains stop there because, in the words of Wendell Cox or, say, our very own Glen, "not everyone is going downtown".

The problem is that, as far as GO commuting patterns are concerned, everyone is going to Union Station. The amount of people stopping over at Bloor is absolutely negligible, which is not to excuse the thoroughly shabby state of that station - if it can be called that - but to note that a big complex here would make very little sense. Something nice, clean, and simple would work for now.

The problem is that, as far as GO commuting patterns are concerned, everyone is going to Union Station. The amount of people stopping over at Bloor is absolutely negligible, which is not to excuse the thoroughly shabby state of that station - if it can be called that - but to note that a big complex here would make very little sense. Something nice, clean, and simple would work for now.

Very true, but current GO service doesn't allow for anything other than suburbs>downtown travel.

Back