News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Allandale GO station good idea: report
February 10, 2009
A GO train station at Allandale would be profitable from the get-go, a Barrie report says.
A business case prepared for the city and GO Transit projected a second station in the city would immediately attract 140 new riders - and ticket revenue from those would more than cover the costs of installing a basic station and having the four daily commuter trains travel to the new station.

The plan for the station calls for a $5.7-million station featuring 12-car train platform, seven bus bays for local and regional transit, a 17-car kiss-and-ride lane, and on-street parking for 150 cars along Gowan Street.

"The business case says already a station would be profitable for GO. On top of that are other very important reasons (to support it), such as building transit-oriented developments and improving access to transit. It's a very strong case," said Ward 2 Coun. Jeff Lehman, an economist.

Since GO train service returned to Barrie Dec. 17, 2007, ridership has exceed GO's expectations. Initially, GO projected 280 daily riders from the south-end station, with an increase to 408 daily riders in 2021; ridership last April exceeded that, with 550 riders each day.

The south-end station at Mapleview Drive has already had its parking lot expanded to more than 600 spaces and it has gone from having only automated ticket dispensers to having a service trailer and finally a new permanent building, which offers extended hours for ticket and pass sales.

According to the city's analysis of the business case, city growth is expected to continue to drive increasing ridership; with every 1,000 new residents, 14 more daily riders emerge.

Barrie also has been pegged as Ontario's only Urban Growth Centre north of the GTA.

"The Allandale GO Station will play a pivotal role in the redevelopment of the station site which will act as a gateway into the Barrie Urban Growth Centre. In addition, it would encourage the redevelopment of the adjacent areas into a more pedestrian and transit-oriented community," Barrie's senior project engineer Leonard Borgdorff said.

"GO Transit rail service at Allandale Station would have an environmental benefit by reducing carbon dioxide emissions by 1,320 tonnes annually. Furthermore, it would reduce pressure to develop greenfields by encouraging the redevelopment and intensification of the Allandale community."

Barrie has almost $1.9 million budgeted for the project, through various aspects of the project in its capital budget.

Lehman said the provincial and federal governments may pitch in on the project, given the strong business case and the three-way partnership that resulted in the return of commuter train service in 2007.

http://barrieadvance.com/barrieadvance/article/128512

i wanna ride this line one day just for the fun of it.

Imagine if GO could achieve this at every station:

Since GO train service returned to Barrie Dec. 17, 2007, ridership has exceed GO's expectations........ with 550 riders each day.

The south-end station at Mapleview Drive has already had its parking lot expanded to more than 600 spaces and ....

Of course their revenue from parking fines would plummet! ;)

I wonder if there'd be much demand for a largish car rental facility near that station. If it were an option I'd gladly take a GO train to Barrie and then go next door to pick up a rental car for the weekend rather than deal with the 400.

That would be freaking brilliant! Collingwood would be that much closer, as is Orillia and Muskoka. You'd still have to deal with traffic on 400, 11 or 26 (unless you know the alternatives), but it would save a lot of hassle and gas and mileage on the auto, and be an alternative for the increasing number of Torontonians without their own cars.

According to the city's analysis of the business case, city growth is expected to continue to drive increasing ridership; with every 1,000 new residents, 14 more daily riders emerge.

In all the good news, that's the only stat I found a little disconcerting. Does that seem a tad low to anyone? And if that's the target for GO ridership from development, it seems a little depressing to me.

In all the good news, that's the only stat I found a little disconcerting. Does that seem a tad low to anyone? And if that's the target for GO ridership from development, it seems a little depressing to me.

I would imagine that it is low because Barrie is so far away....likely the further you are away, the less likely people are commuting so even if you get the "normal" (whatever that is) share of commuters, you will get less of a percentage of the total population growth.....or something like that.

The train is a big hit and could easily grow larger with more train service.

The train is a big hit and could easily grow larger with more train service.

There's no question about that. Study after study after study shows that the train attracts people who wouldn't otherwise choose transit.

Hang on here: they're doubtful whether it is possible to introduce GO trains to somewhere that saw them almost 20 years ago?

???

Well its that if you put permanent reliable forms of transit, many more people who would always drive cars would use them.

No if there were more trains I think more people will take them as its gives people greater flexibility.

Its the GO's long term goal should be that when I go on GO, I do not have to stick to a schedule, that a train will come by in 15 mins or so.

Higher levels of service are not possible right now because there is no signalling on the line north of Aurora. This restricts service to the current service level of every 30 minutes during the rush hours.

I think that would be an improvement...^^

Back