News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

There is no such thing as "Class 7" track in Canada. Transport Canada only recognizes up to Class 6, and even that is an extremely recent occurrence.

In any case, it appears that the standard is capable of meeting Class 5.
Thanks for the clarification.

I imagine with these more precise ties, the Class 5 is upgradeable to Class 6 (without needing tie replacement), with proper ballast, via minor corridor adjustment/grooming/refinements during electrification, especially with eventual progress to fully grade-separated routes? I hope better future progression planning -- reducing redundancies -- is part of their new mainline laying standard.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification.

I imagine with these more precise ties, the Class 5 is upgradeable to Class 6 (without needing tie replacement), with proper ballast, via minor corridor adjustment/grooming/refinements during electrification, especially with eventual progress to fully grade-separated routes? I hope better future progression planning -- reducing redundancies -- is part of their new mainline laying standard.

More precise ties? What on earth are you talking about?

Class 6 is so new that TC hasn't put any specs of what is required up on its website. I'm not even sure if they've published anything about it, to be honest. A friend of mine in the field is doing some digging to see if he can find any circulars that have been released.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

From CodeRedTO: "SmartTrack and/or Regional Express Rail (RER) development in Toronto and the GTA. Early October has several public meetings that may be of interest to you."

Proposed new stations for GO and SmartTrack:
(source report PDF)

Track plan for Lakeshore East Rail Corridor Expansion (Don River to Scarborough GO Station) here: "Appendix A - Design Plates"

VlHh4NdcFP5hGtBj7f9me8IkYvKkm3dyqVabsNASbiOq_b5rJNv-sUGD_NvRVLdbK5adOYlg6GqRt_xKgC074J-w8jbmhk0tn0h96v0clAJQeMGQ3r3R5LDR8g1OIQwWzwkyk-PcxQlxALwHqwM2tuczaM_tSmxjxxq2hoI=s0-d-e1-ft

PUBLIC MEETING: Metrolinx Lakeshore East Expansion in Toronto-Danforth
(Hosted by Toronto-Danforth MPP Peter Tabuns)
Wednesday October 4th, 7pm to 8.30pm
Ralph Thornton Centre, 765 Queen St. East
CLICK HERE TO RSVP

SMARTTRACK PUBLIC MEETING (City of Toronto and Metrolinx)
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 10

Scarborough Civic Centre, 150 Borough Drive
6:30 pm – 8:30 pm, Presentation begins at 7:00 pm

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 11
Riverdale Collegiate Institute, 1094 Gerrard Street East

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 12
Bloor Street Collegiate Institute, 1141 Bloor Street West

Proposed new stations for GO and SmartTrack: (source report PDF)

Track plan for Lakeshore East Rail Corridor Expansion (Don River to Scarborough GO Station) here: "Appendix A - Design Plates
Mobile data plan overage alert: Big PDF files.

The first one is 175 pages, but more text. That second one is an unusually massive sized 18 page PDF.

A couple screenshots of just one page of the design plates.

IMG_5411.PNG
IMG_5412.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_5411.PNG
    IMG_5411.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 426
  • IMG_5412.PNG
    IMG_5412.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 382
Mobile data plan overage alert: Big PDF files.

The first one is 175 pages, but more text. That second one is an unusually massive sized 18 page PDF.

I wish they would figure out a way to make the design plans more interactive and easier to see. Would it really be that hard to put them up on Google Maps/Earth?

That source report is simply the TPAP draft for the Union-Scarborough Jct track addition. It doesn't speak to the new stations elsewhere nor to ST at all.

An interesting document in its own right, however.

- Paul

Track plan for Lakeshore East Rail Corridor Expansion (Don River to Scarborough GO Station) here: "Appendix A - Design Plates"

Curious. Much of the work occurs on the south side until Dundas St, when it shifts to the north side of the corridor. It leaves a significant amount of GO-owned land, it looks like there's still room for 1-2 more tracks throughout most of it. HSR?

Pages 10-11 show the relocation proposal for Danforth GO.
I'm not yet sure if I want to be gung-ho about it, it could make interconnection with Danforth subway longer -- unless a tunnel is planned.

From Neptis' website:

They are now proposing to relocate the Danforth GO:
upload_2017-9-26_21-13-1.png

One thing I am unfamilar with; where's the begin and end of the Danforth subway platform underground?

Does Main Street station extends much more eastwards, so that a tunnel to the eastmost end of the TTC subway platform is simply more directly north of the orange highlighted area?

If so, then this is a great opportunity to develop Canadian Tire parking lot (maybe even with their blessing, perhaps, like those two-storey Canadian Tires) -- with an indoor fare-paid passageway to Danforth Street -- and then a short tunnel to the eastmost end of the TTC Main Street station platform (if it extends far east of Main St).

Then the average walking distance is pretty much maintained -- same 250 meter walk, just shifted eastwards. (I hope.)

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-26_21-13-1.png
    upload_2017-9-26_21-13-1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 446
Last edited:
IOne thing I am unfamilar with; where's the begin and end of the Danforth subway platform underground?

Does Main Street station extends much more eastwards, so that a tunnel to the eastmost end of the TTC subway platform is simply more directly north of the orange highlighted area?

If so, then this is a great opportunity to develop Canadian Tire parking lot (maybe even with their blessing, perhaps, like those two-storey Canadian Tires) -- with an indoor fare-paid passageway to Danforth Street -- and then a short tunnel to the eastmost end of the TTC Main Street station platform (if it extends far east of Main St).

Then the average walking distance is pretty much maintained -- same 250 meter walk, just shifted eastwards. (I hope.)
I noted this in the EA III thread - where will Main Second Exit go. If the station does extend east (my searching has not turned up a plan of the station) then an exit at Coleman Park would be in line with the GO station, but the locals would probably not like losing Coleman Park or even part of it one bit. I have difficulty persuading myself that the City or Metrolinx would contemplate the $ required for a tunnel or mini-PATH all the way to the new station.

As for a 2-storey Cdn Tire there - off topic here but I suspect based on people I know that they would be unpopular. There is something about Crappy Tire's narrow aisles and high shelves which makes navigating it difficult (example Bay-Dundas/Leslie-Lakeshore). I think any redevelopment plans could hinge to some extent on what happens with the self-storage land not taken for the station, especially since the proposed station seems to sever most of the service storage from its official entrance. It will be interesting to see what effect if any Metrolinx's decisions here have on the lumber yards etc. on the nearby Dawes Road south of Danforth area.

Since the Metrolinx works for the 4 track are to begin at the bottom of Broadview, and First Gulf are to disclose "master plans" for the Unilever site, one hopes TTC isn't sitting on their hands while things are moving where they propose to punch through a streetcar portal.

upload_2017-9-27_10-19-27.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-27_10-19-27.png
    upload_2017-9-27_10-19-27.png
    801.8 KB · Views: 365
Short List of Bidders Announced for Rutherford Station Project
September 27, 2017
TORONTO - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx have shortlisted three teams to design, build and finance the Rutherford Station project. The infrastructure upgrades are required to accommodate the planned expansion of GO Transit rail service on the Barrie line.

Teams were selected based on criteria identified in the Request for Qualification (RFQ) process including, applicable construction experience and capacity to finance a project of this size and complexity.

The shortlisted teams that will be invited to respond to a request for proposals in fall 2017 are:

EllisDon Infrastructure Transit

• Constructor: EllisDon Civil Ltd.
  • Design: Amec Foster Wheeler plc., Strasman Architects Inc., Mulvey & Banani International Inc., The Aquila Group, Condor Signals & Communications Inc.
  • Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital Inc.
Link Rutherford Station

• Constructor: Dragados Canada, Inc., Brennan Infrastructures Inc., BoT Construction Group Ltd., Black & McDonald Limited
  • Design: Mott MacDonald, Morrison Hershfield
  • Financial Advisor: ACS Infrastructure Canada Inc., Stonebridge Financial Corporation
Steelhead

• Constructor: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., Dufferin Construction Company, Pomerleau
  • Design: AECOM
  • Financial Advisor: Scotiabank
This project is part of Metrolinx's planned expansion of GO Transit rail service in support of GO Regional Express Rail (RER). GO RER will provide faster, more frequent and more convenient transit service across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA), including electrification of core segments of the GO rail network by 2024-25. The program will provide new travel choices for commuters, significantly increase transit ridership, cut journey times and help manage congestion across the GTHA.

Major infrastructure updates are required to bring this level of service to communities across the region, including: modifying GO stations, improving rail crossings, building required systems for electrification, and adding new locomotives and train control systems.

Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province's history. To learn more about what is happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.

Quick Facts:

• According to Ontario's 2017 Long-Term Report on the Economy, every $1 spent on public infrastructure has been shown to increase GDP by $6 in the long term.
  • Infrastructure Ontario, collaborating with Metrolinx, is leading the procurement of the Rutherford Station project.
  • The project is being delivered using IO's Alternative Financing and Procurement (AFP) model, an innovative way of financing and procuring large, complex public infrastructure projects.
  • Projects that are delivered using IO's AFP model have a track record of being 96 per cent on budget and 73 per cent on time or within one month of the scheduled substantial completion date.
Quotes:

“These station upgrades are a part of our government's plan to provide you with a better commuter experience at Rutherford GO station and along the Barrie GO rail corridor. Today's announcement is a step forward in making it easier for more people to use transit, help manage congestion, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and improve our economy by connecting people to jobs and opportunities.”
Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation

“The Rutherford Station project is critical to the expansion of rail services under Metrolinx's Regional Express Rail. Our government recognizes the importance of these types of transit improvements because they keep people and goods moving, keep communities growing, and help build Ontario up.”
Bob Chiarelli, Minister of Infrastructure

“Metrolinx is pleased to announce the short list of bidders for the Rutherford Station project. The project includes a grade separation at Rutherford Road that will increase community safety, and a new multi-level parking structure with 1200 net-new parking spots and integrated station building. This project will allow us to bring faster, more frequent GO train service to communities along the Barrie corridor.”
Robert Siddall, Acting President and CEO, Metrolinx

“IO is pleased to work with Metrolinx to help deliver the RER program. The Rutherford Station project is an important component and IO looks forward issuing the RFP to the market this fall.”
Ehren Cory, President and CEO, Infrastructure Ontario

I noted this in the EA III thread - where will Main Second Exit go. If the station does extend east (my searching has not turned up a plan of the station) then an exit at Coleman Park would be in line with the GO station, but the locals would probably not like losing Coleman Park or even part of it one bit. I have difficulty persuading myself that the City or Metrolinx would contemplate the $ required for a tunnel or mini-PATH all the way to the new station.

The east end of the subway platforms at Main St are underneath Barrington Ave., south of Coleman. The west ends at under Stanley Grizzle Park at the alleyway that splits the park in two.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The east end of the subway platforms at Main St are underneath Barrington Ave., south of Coleman. The west ends at under Stanley Grizzle Park at the alleyway that splits the park in two.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Dan is correct.

Below is a Sat. View of the area.

You can see the vents that are immediately beyond the eastern limit of the platform for Main Station at the south/east corner of Barrington and Coleman. A very visible rectangular box.

Subway Vents - Main Station..png

Attachments

• Subway Vents - Main Station..png
    Subway Vents - Main Station..png
    1 MB · Views: 394

Back