News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Am I the only one who finds it VERY odd that all the RER lines are to begin operations in 2025? We are talking over 200 km {what exactly is the total kms of RER anyway?} of electrified line with new vehicles GO/TTC have no experience in. Usually it takes many months to train the staff on the new vehicles, route, and safety runs on the route so expecting them to do all this at the same time for opening of the same year with 200km seems really weird. Even the Chinese would have a hard time opening 200km of new near-subway level service in one year. All of this is to say nothing of all the new vehicles arriving within a year of each other.

In the comparison to what China has done and the timeframe for GO electrification, I'd be interested in knowing if China (or other places) built a lot of completely new corridors or used existing ones. Some advantages, I would think but I'm not an expert, that GO has with its version of electrified RER include:
- using existing corridors;
- not needing to built to HSR standards;
- a sense already of where the additional tracks are needed and other infrastructure;
- studies already done on where to get the power and its distribution;
- being able to adopt what other places have done with electrification given that they've had it for decades for commuter rail.

I would agree that the rough HSR timeframe the Province has given seems much more ambitious.

Maybe I'm just being naive though. That'd be a fair point. I do think that the wiring of the Union Station Rail Corridor is going to be complicated. On the training part, I'd have to let others speak on how long that would actually take. I think a bigger challenge from what I've read over the years here won't be retraining the existing operators, rather, it'll be finding enough new operators to join and expand the team in time.

News Release

Ontario Improving Transit for Commuters and Families in the GTHA
December 7, 2017

Province Moving Forward with Upgrades to the Lakeshore West GO Line
Ontario is creating more transit options for commuters and families across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) with major improvements to the Lakeshore West GO line that will allow for increased service and better commutes.

Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation, was joined by Han Dong, MPP for Trinity-Spadina, today at the Exhibition GO Station to make the announcement.

The upgrades to the Lakeshore West GO corridor include:
  • Track improvements and other work to enable increased service at Exhibition Station
  • Mimico Station rehabilitation
  • Long Branch Station improvements, including accessibility enhancements
  • Upgrades to enable increased service at Clarkson and Bronte Stations
  • Grade separations at Kerr Street and Burloak Drive
  • Replacement of the Drury Lane pedestrian bridge
  • Further expansion of the Lewis Road layover facility
These improvements and upgrades are part of the largest rail project in Canada as Ontario transforms GO from a commuter transit system to a regional rapid transit system. Weekly trips across the entire GO rail network are expected grow from about 1,500 to nearly 6,000 by 2024-25, with two-way, all-day service every 15 minutes or less coming to the Lakeshore West GO line.

Building better transit for commuters and families is part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.

QUICK FACTS
  • Ontario is investing $21.3 billion to transform GO Transit from a commuter transit service to a regional rapid transit system.
  • Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx issued a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) today to build and finance the Lakeshore West Corridor Infrastructure Improvements project.
  • Major infrastructure updates are required across the GO rail network to deliver GO RER, including additional track, GO station modifications, improved rail crossings, systems for electrification, and new locomotives and train control systems to enable more frequent service.
  • Since 2013, Ontario built three new GO stations, renovated 10 existing GO stations, and added approximately 7,000 new GO station parking spots. The province also purchased 220 new GO buses, 69 new GO train coaches, and 10 new GO train locomotives.
  • Ontario is making the largest investment in schools, hospitals, public transit, roads and bridges in the province’s history. To learn more about what's happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.

News Release

December 7, 2017

Ontario is creating more transit options for commuters and families across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) with major improvements to the Lakeshore West GO line that will allow for increased service and better commutes.

Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation, was joined by Han Dong, MPP for Trinity-Spadina, today at the Exhibition GO Station to make the announcement.

• Track improvements and other work to enable increased service at Exhibition Station
These improvements and upgrades are part of the largest rail project in Canada as Ontario transforms GO from a commuter transit system to a regional rapid transit system. Weekly trips across the entire GO rail network are expected grow from about 1,500 to nearly 6,000 by 2024-25, with two-way, all-day service every 15 minutes or less coming to the Lakeshore West GO line.

Building better transit for commuters and families is part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.

QUICK FACTS
  • Ontario is investing $21.3 billion to transform GO Transit from a commuter transit service to a regional rapid transit system.
  • Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx issued a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) today to build and finance the Lakeshore West Corridor Infrastructure Improvements project.
  • Major infrastructure updates are required across the GO rail network to deliver GO RER, including additional track, GO station modifications, improved rail crossings, systems for electrification, and new locomotives and train control systems to enable more frequent service.
  • Since 2013, Ontario built three new GO stations, renovated 10 existing GO stations, and added approximately 7,000 new GO station parking spots. The province also purchased 220 new GO buses, 69 new GO train coaches, and 10 new GO train locomotives.
  • Ontario is making the largest investment in schools, hospitals, public transit, roads and bridges in the province’s history. To learn more about what's happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.

See? This is worthy of a press conference.

News Release

December 7, 2017

QUICK FACTS

Grade separations at Kerr Street and Burloak Drive are very welcome announcements for Oakville. Ever since half-hour service started, these crossings have been terrible for delays.

Mimico is getting a new station building and some additional parking, I believe. I recall seeing a render somewhere. What is news to me is the Long Branch work, haven't seen anything for that yet.

Also, the work at exhibition may finally be finished in this contract?

At one of the recent PIC meetings it was stated that Long Branch was getting a new layout that would bring the streetcar loop much closer to the GO entrance, or vv. I guess this ties to that.

What Long Branch also needs is a general platform widening and roughing in for a fourth track. Of course, that does not do much good until the Browns Line bridge is rebuilt, which is required anyways for electrification - the EA suggests it may be possible to sink the tracks rather than raise the bridge, but more width will be needed eventually - why not do it in one shot.

Adding accessibility is important, but once again I must wonder if ML is wasting time by doing the cosmetic bits without tackling the substantive improvements that enable RER and more trains.

- Paul

^ Were there any drawings to show the revised streetcar loop or was it just a verbal point made?

Just a verbal point, during the Q+A. IIRC it was tied to the Waterfront Reset work, and thinking about extension of LRT along Lakeshore. That's all still pretty preliminary.

- Paul

Grade separations at Kerr Street and Burloak Drive are very welcome announcements for Oakville. Ever since half-hour service started, these crossings have been terrible for delays.
Yes, definitely! And combined with the water main work on Speers Road, it's made rush hour pretty bad.

Great to see this announcement. I hope it included a couple hundred bucks for tearing down the plywood at the Exhibition tunnel ...

Yes, definitely! And combined with the water main work on Speers Road, it's made rush hour pretty bad.

Great to see this announcement. I hope it included a couple hundred bucks for tearing down the plywood at the Exhibition tunnel ...
Do plywood tear downs need an EA?

Last year I pushed my way thru the tunnel after MLS Cup Final i was beside 2 visitors from Seattle......they commented how horrible and “third world” the tunnel was....as we got to the north stairs to exit one said, roughly, “ah, that explains it, it’s under construction”.

Imagine what those same two would say if they are back for Saturday’s match and they see the tunnel in precisely the same state as last year!

Dec 7
Was going to shoot the existing Kennedy and the SRT as a before shot of what the area will look like after the Crosstown LRT is built when I noticed both the SRT and the GO train heading south and waited until they almost arrived. I also noticed and fail to cross the Eglinton Bridge to the north side to have a look at the work taking place in the corridor for the 2nd track.

Cab 257 was on point with 562 pushing.

A bit of news for the Bowmanville Extension. I wonder if these means they have struck a deal with CP or this work is needed for final CP sign off?

Thursday, December 07, 2017
Stantec to provide technical advisory services on Metrolinx Lakeshore East project

Back