News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Update on the GO Transit Control Centre in Oakville. The building itself seems to be in the finishing phase, and landscape work is wrapping up outside. Due to the high-security nature of this building, you'll notice that the smoking area is enclosed with high glass. Don't scare the animals!

Looking south towards Cornwall:
IjtxShx.jpg

Looking west:
IssGUJq.jpg

AZyYkfd.jpg

K07I0J9.jpg

h8KQf3I.jpg

Looking north:
3sHbazN.jpg
bbRQ7K5.jpg

On the opposite side of Trafalgar Road there seems to be a new indigo store

The “landscaping” and glass vestibule have everything to do with physical security. A subtle way of ensuring vehicles cannot breach the entrance, and creating barriers for those on foot, with sightlines from inside, to spot ne’er—do-wells before they get to the door. Pretty standard stuff these days.

What I find curious is - *Nobody* builds a high security facility that close to a public access parking garage. I wonder what special engineering was needed to harden the wall next to the garage.

- Paul

While simple, it is a sufficiently decent "just the right amount of basics" government building altogether, still a bit nicer than the parking garage, it was built using iron H-bars, and should last with a properly built roof. It is earthquake and fire protected, and will control the train system just fine.

It is an important nuts-and-bolts building for the conversion of a staid commuter system to a frequent regional rapid transit metro, but I'd rather they spend on the Union Revitalization or the Davenport Diamond Bridge for the fancy frills because of public realm.

Cheap need not necessarily mean ugly, though. There are lots of ways to do better than has been done here without breaking the bank.

One of those ways (if done properly) is to standardize certain aspects of the design (and achieve purchasing power/volume efficiencies in so doing) -- establish a simple, attractive, modern design and stick to it across some or all stations. Venice's Vaporetto "stations" are, to me, a nice example of this principle; obviously, the nature of GO stations varies substantially, but food for thought:

800px-Appontement_Piazzale_Roma_%28Parisi%29.jpg

source

san-basilio-vaporetto-station-venice-italy-february-th-image-reaching-grand-canal-venice-carnival-49536209.jpg

source

Are they safeguards in place preventing *shudder* Premier Thug making it his first order of business to immediately cancel every transit project and proposal initiated by the liberals?--a la, Mayor Slob cancelling TC on his first day?
The stakes are far higher than that.

The city, and all it's agencies, and the TTC exist solely at the pleasure of the province.

The province could completely eliminate the City of Toronto if it wished. Very unlikely of course - but could say replace the 47 councillors with 10 easily enough, and merge TTC into MiWay, YRT, and BiWay ...

All unlikely ... but I'd think the electorate voting for a corrupt racist like Drug Ford for Premier is also unlikely, once the election is called.

All unlikely ... but I'd think the electorate voting for a corrupt racist like Drug Ford for Premier is also unlikely, once the election is called.

You're setting yourself up for a nasty surprise, behaving exactly like legions of Hillary Clinton fans did. I hope Doug wins just to spite you.

You're setting yourself up for a nasty surprise, behaving exactly like legions of Hillary Clinton fans did. I hope Doug wins just to spite you.
Back in early 2016 I predicted a Trump victory much to my friends’ dismissals (I’m not a Trump supporter but I can see why people would vote for him). On election, I watch the results come in from a left wing/liberal bar, the mood changed pretty quickly that night.

I predict Ford will win this time around, my hope is that these transport projects will survive to see completion. Given that the PCs will likely win seats in very urban areas, I hope the MPPs from those ridings continue to push for these projects.

Just as a friendly reminder, this thread is for GO construction related posts. There's another thread to speculate on Provincial election stuff and outcomes.

Getting back to GO construction, when I walked over the pedestrian bridge at Bloor Station last night I saw a crew installing the switch for the second track on the Milton Line, south of the West YoroTor Grade Separation. Couldn't get a picture. Wouldn't be surprised if they were out again tonight.

Last edited:
Putting in a switch this weekend was probably a good call if CP were already being conservative about this weekend’s train movements with the possibility of a strike.

As for the posts above - no, “reasonable people” don’t get to blame rhetoric by internet posters for swinging their vote if Doug Ford (and *Mike Harris, Jr* for Christ’s sake!) is elected, thereby imperilling a number of transit expansion projects including Metrolinx ones like Niagara GO - that isn’t what “reason” is.

A little good news for the Kitchener line through the City of Guelph:

https://guelph.ca/2018/04/metrolinx-rail-work-starts-april-30-guelph/
Metrolinx rail work starts April 30 in Guelph
Track Improvements between Imperial Road and Edinburgh Road

Metrolinx, an agency of the Province of Ontario, is working to transform the way the region moves by building a seamless, convenient, and integrated transit network across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. Over the next ten years, Metrolinx is transforming the existing GO rail system to deliver a whole new rapid transit experience to your community. With more frequent train service you’ll have more options to get you where you need to go.

The local project
Metrolinx has begun a multi-year construction program to expand and improve the existing GO Transit service network. As part of this expansion, Metrolinx will be working to upgrade tracks and improve safety between Imperial Road and Edinburgh Road. The first phase of this work: setting up a construction trailer, clearing brush and vegetation and installing fencing, will begin April 30.

What this means for you
We expect this work to have minimal impact to residents and adjacent properties. Work will happen during the day between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Additional notifications to residents will be circulated for impacts of any major work in the future.

^Did ML ever hold any sort of PIC or open house before starting this Guelph work?

- Paul

PS: A peek at the map revealed that the zone being worked on is to the west of Edinburgh, ie not the very constraining slow stretch east of it. Still interesting as it suggests that some new trackage or a siding might be planned eventually.

- Paul

Last edited:
It's the first phase of many for work in the Guelph area, and indeed along the whole of the Metrolinx-owned section of the Guelph Sub. The plan is that by the end of the end of the year that all temporary slow orders are eliminated, and that the PSO through the heart of Guelph is raised from 10mph to 30mph.

No, I don't believe that they've held any PICs or open houses on this, Paul. A mutual friend of ours is very unhappy with some of the ideas being suggested for this section of the line, and is planning on raising a stink about it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

No PIC that im aware of.

Samllspy, what ideas is your mutual friend referring to? I live along the line too.

Back