News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

One aspect that needs to be considered when discussing shoehorning more trackage or intrastructure into existing ROWs is that any that retain freight traffic will have to accommodate overdimensional loads. I have no idea what those clearances would be but I doubt a freight carrier will be willing to relinquish the capacity to handle that kind of traffic. They may be infrequent but I have to believe they are high-value.

They will not relinquish clearance, true....but every line will have existing “pinch points” that the railroad can’t afford to remove. The lowest bridge or the narrowest underpass on the line determines the maximum dimension for loads. So long as these minimums are not eroded, new construction can be just as restrictive without impacting anything.

- Paul

Not sure if these renderings of Bloomington station have been posted here before (source):
bloomington-1.png

bloomington-2.png

bloomington-3.png

It's a nice station .... but this is admittedly a Station Mahal for a peak-period-only station. It could make sense if this was a 15-minute RER line, with lots of transit connections.

The main way this may make sense is if this someday becomes a subway station as part of the DRL+RichmondHill interlining concepts, via proposed DRL route #2 and #3

Completely different topic, but probably the most relevant thread when it comes to GTHA transit projects. I hypothesize that the PC's will cut back many transit projects (GO rer, LRT projects, etc), and that we'll see the Liberals get a lot more involved in funding of transit in Ontario (this would be a brilliant opportunity to keep seats in the 905 by filling the funding gap the PC's will leave).

This is admittedly a Station Mahal for a peak-period station. It could make sense if this was a 15-minute RER line, with lots of transit connections.

The main way this may make sense is if this becomes a subway station as part of the DRL+RichmondHill interlining concepts, via proposed DRL route #2 and #3
Not only a thumbs up from me, but you put to print exactly what I was thinking, but didn't bother to post it, as it's lost on too many. It has to be a mainline metro or more. But your earlier post alludes to that:
There's also the potential theoretical concept of interlining DRL with Richmond Hill RER. (Meaning DRL becomes the RH RER)

the Liberals
Meaning the federal Libs...I agree but aside to that: The Infrastructure Bank becomes 'host' to a couple of them. And there's where the federal Libs can 'scoop' the OntCons, as how can the OntCons possibly rant against Enterprise building the projects needed?

But further to stretching this forum's premise to others: That same Infra Bank and someone like Florida East Coast, Virgin and VIA funding, building and operating not only HFR along the Peterborough alignment, but hosting the GO runs along same, electrified, of course. And possibly/eventually more, like looping up the Georgetown Corridor along with HFR to London, albeit GO only to K/W.

Meaning the federal Libs...I agree but aside to that: The Infrastructure Bank becomes 'host' to a couple of them. And there's where the federal Libs can 'scoop' the OntCons, as how can the OntCons possibly rant against Enterprise building the projects needed?

But further to stretching this forum's premise to others: That same Infra Bank and someone like Florida East Coast, Virgin and VIA funding, building and operating not only HFR along the Peterborough alignment, but hosting the GO runs along same, electrified, of course. And possibly/eventually more, like looping up the Georgetown Corridor along with HFR to London, albeit GO only to K/W.

Thanks for clarifying that man. Yes, the Infrastructure Bank will definitely play hugely into this. We haven't yet seen the potential of it yet, with only the REM in Montreal being an investment. Of course a project like Eglinton Crosstown will demonstrate the advantages/disadvantages of the PPP model that the Infrastructure Bank will bring to a lot more projects.

Completely different topic, but probably the most relevant thread when it comes to GTHA transit projects. I hypothesize that the PC's will cut back many transit projects (GO rer, LRT projects, etc), and that we'll see the Liberals get a lot more involved in funding of transit in Ontario (this would be a brilliant opportunity to keep seats in the 905 by filling the funding gap the PC's will leave).
So promising the same things where they had broken promises from last term?

I have to say this 'broken promises' conversation about projects misses the context of a change of government (be that federal, provincial, or municipal), and how that affects funding when a partner backs out of a project. That's the frustrating part of funding commitments federally is it almost always requires matching of funds by the provinces or the province and city. Not an unreasonable ask, but definitely makes commitments vulnerable.

First off, straddling the forum from UT to SkyCities or whatever it is is a freakin' hassle Mods! If you cross link them, then crosslink the login too! The log-in should be recognized by both data bases since they're now merging.

I've re-read your post a few times, it's missing reference to *who* last time? In all fairness they've all failed in various ways.
That's the frustrating part of funding commitments federally is it almost always requires matching of funds by the provinces or the province and city. Not an unreasonable ask, but definitely makes commitments vulnerable.
But that's the hidden beauty of it becoming 'arm's length' from either, and also the danger.

Done right, it's a win-win-win. Some nations have done this very well, some using Cdn money! (Oz and the UK immediately come to mind) Is Cdn money different there than here? Of course not, but the *political and societal accommodation* is.

And it could here too, which is exactly what Desjardins-Siciliano has articulated for VIA HFR. And bear in mind that the first special adviser appointed to the Infrastructure Bank was Bruce McCuaig , ex CEO of Metrolinx.

Subsequently:
AECOM has announced that Bruce McCuaig has joined the company as vice president and Canadian Transit lead. He will serve as a member of AECOM’s Americas Transit market sector working from the company’s Mississauga office.

“It is a privilege to join a company like AECOM, with its global reach and experts across all disciplines involved in the delivery of infrastructure. We are in an unprecedented time of transit expansion in Canada, and I look forward to helping communities across the nation transform their transportation systems,” said McCuaig.

Prior to joining AECOM, McCuaig worked in the Privy Council Office of the Government of Canada as a member of the team dedicated to launching the Canada Infrastructure Bank where he was responsible for developing and implementing a program of outreach to municipalities, provinces, and other public agencies across the country.[...]
https://www.renewcanada.net/bruce-mccuaig-joins-aecom/

All the pieces are in place. My only concern, and it's a huge one, is to keep the hands of the blundering idiots in QP off of this. Being "right of centre" can either be based on fiscal competence and sharp business acumen, or on knee-jerk reactionism. Label companies are hardly the stuff of leading edge tech.

This is an important sub-string that may be misplaced under this string premise, but it must be continued. Along with this must be a discussion of what "DBFOM" means, as it's also 'twisting in the wind' with the present QP regime, and yet it's the life blood of the Crosstown Project, and others that follow. Ontario and Canada are 'new to this game' compared to other nations far ahead of us on transit issues.

Get this wrong, and we're sunk. Get it right, and we're off to the races. The pieces are all in place to do this. But the question is, who is the most competent to do it? By default, it's the Feds, and by *shepherding* it, it won't become a Constitutional issue.

Last edited:
First off, straddling the forum from UT to SkyCities or whatever it is is a freakin' hassle Mods! If you cross link them, then crosslink the login too!

I've re-read your post a few times, it's missing reference to *who* last time? In all fairness they've all failed in various ways.
But that's the hidden beauty of it becoming 'arm's length' from either, and also the danger.

Done right, it's a win-win-win. Some nations have done this very well, some using Cdn money! (Oz and the UK immediately come to mind) Is Cdn money different there than here? Of course not, but the *political and societal accommodation* is.

And it could here too, which is exactly what Desjardins-Siciliano has articulated for VIA HFR. And bear in mind that the first special adviser appointed to the Infrastructure Bank was Bruce McCuaig , ex CEO of Metrolinx.

Subsequently:

https://www.renewcanada.net/bruce-mccuaig-joins-aecom/

All the pieces are in place. My only concern, and it's a huge one, is to keep the hands of the blundering idiots in QP off of this. Being "right of centre" can either be based on fiscal competence and sharp business acumen, or on knee-jerk reactionism. Label companies are hardly the stuff of leading edge tech.

This is an important sub-string that may be misplaced under this string premise, but it must be continued. Along with this must be a discussion of what "DBFOM" means, as it's also 'twisting in the wind' with the present QP regime, and yet it's the life blood of the Crosstown Project, and others that follow. Ontario and Canada are 'new to this game' compared to other nations far ahead of us on transit issues.

Get this wrong, and we're sunk. Get it right, and we're off to the races. The pieces are all in place to do this. But the question is, who is the most competent to do it? By default, it's the Feds, and by *shepherding* it, it won't become a Constitutional issue.

Great point about Bruce McCuaig being a Metrolinx CEO.
You also make a ton of great points about how this is a great opportunity to take the politics out of building infrastructure and instead building projects that the market will support because their is market demand for it (instead of building political buyoffs like Sheppard Subway or Scarborough Subway projects).
My reference to the concerns of PPP model is there has been reports by the auditor general, however she has been known to be perhaps overly alarmist when it comes to things like the QP deficit because of a dispute that pensions shouldn't be an asset I believe.
8 key findings in Ontario auditor general Bonnie Lysyk’s report

My reference to the concerns of PPP model is there has been reports by the auditor general, however she has been known to be perhaps overly alarmist when it comes to things like the QP deficit because of a dispute that pensions shouldn't be an asset I believe.
8 key findings in Ontario auditor general Bonnie Lysyk’s report
W/o going into detail, Lysyk has an agenda of her own. Very few independent auditors or organizations back her stance. That being said, many P3s have been disasters. None worse than the London Underground fiasco:
[PDF]London Underground PPP: background - Parliament

But many, especially with lessons learned, are highly successful. It's not the model, it's how you build it.

Public private partnership forum examines lessons for transit - GHD
P3 Innovation: The Canadian Model | Public Sector Digest
P3 lessons from Australia | Bond Buyer
Eagle P3 Commuter Rail Project - Railway Technology
Case Studies of Transportation Public-Private Partnerships around the ...
Successful Practices for P3s - US Department of Transportation

Back