News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The in floor heating for platforms is really essential for snow melt, but I wish they would also provide heated shelters to keep customers warm!

What stations don't have heated shelters? Those overhead button-activated heaters seem to be nearly everywhere I go and the few places that don't have indoor spaces if the wait is long.

Oakville has an entire heated building you can wait in until about 5 minutes before the train arrives.

Doesnt matter. Im talking about heated shelters right on the platform.

Does the GO train enter the heated building and pick you up there? No.

The RT track will be removed. There is concerns that Smarttrack/double-tracking won't be able to be done without disrupting Scarborough RT before line 2 extension is complete (which was the original plan). https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...t-least-a-year-internal-documents-reveal.html
At the public meetings this summer for the new GO stations, they swore up and down that Lawrence East GO station would be opening before the SRT closed, and it was all designed to allow both to operate simultaneously, at least for a brief period.

Which doesn't I guess preclude opening the station and having single-track operation at Ellsemere ...

Doesnt matter. Im talking about heated shelters right on the platform.

Does the GO train enter the heated building and pick you up there? No.

Okay, then I suppose I'm strongly against the addition of heated shelters on the platform at stations where GO provides heated shelters within 100m of the platform.

Last edited:
Okay, then I suppose I'm strongly against the addition of heated shelters on the platform at stations where GO provides heated shelters within 100m of the platform.
And how do you expect to fit ""ALL"" the riders into a small stations that has heat??

Only stations with low ridership may see enough room in the station to hold all the riders, but I haven't visited everyone to see what the station looks like nor around at peak time when riders use it. The ones I have, 2 come to mind that could hold all riders.

Then, how long does it take to get from the station to the platform area where riders want to stand to catch the car they want in the first place?? Unless there is a countdown clock('s) telling riders there train is 4-5 minutes from the station, riders will stand on the platform. Regardless if there are clocks and announcement, riders will wait on the platform either in the shelters or out in the cold.

As for Lawrence GO Station, will be a tight fit to get an east side platform in, with the station being double track. If its a centre platform, good luck having the station open before the SRT is close. Haven't seen plans for the SMART stations.

I I had to walk 100 metres from the heated shelter, to the platform, I'd be pushing for some heated shelters on platforms - like the ones many platforms already have.

Offhand, I can't think of any shelter that's 100 metres from a platform! Unless you are counting the tunnel and stairwells, from a station like Bramalea which has the big shelter near the parking lot (but doesn't it also have platform shelters? I've only taken buses from there).

Back