News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Took the via down to Toronto this morning and noticed lots of earth recently moved on both sides of the 401 tunnel. On the south side I saw many trailers along with large earth movers. I see lots of prep work and I have a feeling that construction will comence with the spring thaw. Wish I had time to take a picture.

When the tunnel is complete, will the tracks all be close by like 5 close together with no wall in-between or in a 3 + 2 formation with the original wall and new tunnel not structurally (in the lose sense) connected to the current one?
^ I think I've read somewhere it will be two and two. Total of four. Update: more details here:

Sounds like 2+2 to me, there's no need for a 5th track (aka a CN service track). The current tunnel is pretty tight for 3 tracks.

Heading east on a 501 crossing the Humber River today, it looks like they either replaced the north track 1 with a corten bridge or they installed the 5th track bridge.

Heading east on a 501 crossing the Humber River today, it looks like they either replaced the north track 1 with a corten bridge or they installed the 5th track bridge.

All of the structures over the Humber River were replaced with new Corten structures. There is no grading and structure for a 5th track yet, however.

Dan

Any updates regarding the ON Corridor Package?

I have heard enough back-channel muttering to expect that there will be reductions (relative to the hypothetical and never-released RER budget that has been appearing in the ML Board reporting for the last couple of years, anyways).

Some of the big ticket add-track work that has already gone to RFP may not go forward, or be curtailed. Shovels in the ground to date are likely safe.

Not an officially documentable source, but more credible than sandhouse speculation or gossip.

We likely won't know for certain until the next ML Board meeting and/or the next Provincial budget. I expect some items will go forward, so it's not all bad news, but the RER dream state may have a new timeline.

- Paul

I have heard enough back-channel muttering to expect that there will be reductions (relative to the hypothetical and never-released RER budget that has been appearing in the ML Board reporting for the last couple of years, anyways).

Some of the big ticket add-track work that has already gone to RFP may not go forward, or be curtailed. Shovels in the ground to date are likely safe.

Not an officially documentable source, but more credible than sandhouse speculation or gossip.

We likely won't know for certain until the next ML Board meeting and/or the next Provincial budget. I expect some items will go forward, so it's not all bad news, but the RER dream state may have a new timeline.

- Paul
Can any news outlets get those unreleased RER documents or is there not enough interest or value to them?

Can any news outlets get those unreleased RER documents or is there not enough interest or value to them?

Any Ontario resident may request a copy (provided it's not a classed as a cabinet record) for a fee, but you need some idea of what you're asking for. I don't expect you would receive much more than what Metrolinx posted publicly in their 10 or 15 year capital spending plans (year and approximate dollar amount).

I was curious how the tracks of the Weston Sub were arranged, so I made this track diagram using the May 2018 aerial image from Google Maps.

A surprisingly large portion of the 4th track is installed but unusable. It would take only minimal effort to complete a 4th track from the URSC to the 401, with the exception of Mount Dennis where CP is using the 4th track to detour around the Mount Dennis Station construction zone.

I was scrolling back through some messages and just wanted to note how helpful this is.

Going by Exhibition today, noticed a stock pile of precast ties and gravel. Work should start shortly to install track 5. Been sometime I been to the station to see if the north stairwell is complete along with the elevator in working order. On my due list for next week.

Going by Exhibition today, noticed a stock pile of precast ties and gravel. Work should start shortly to install track 5. Been sometime I been to the station to see if the north stairwell is complete along with the elevator in working order. On my due list for next week.

^ @TOareaFan

There's been no progress on completing that tunnel and entrance for months, if not years, as far I've seen. Or any explanation why it's stalled, other than some vague hand-waving about electrification.

Presumably opening the tunnel is a precursor to installing the ties.

Metrolinx decided to redesign the Exhibition GO expansion to be more comprehensive, so halted work, from my understanding. Plus they were having contractor issues.

The work won't restart until the Lakeshore West RER RFP closes and the whole corridor goes into construction.

Went by there on the GO train today - looked like they were stockpiling materiel for the added platform etc, but not pushing ahead very fast. There is work going on with the signalling at Fort York, and that would have to be done first to get some things out of the way. Not sure what the end track design might be, the old ‘back way’ track from Bathurst to Strachan is no longer connected at Bathurst St. It’s not clear to me how a fifth track will tie in to USRC.

- Paul

The ties are for scheduled upcoming trackwork at Exhibition Station. Track 1A (the unbuilt track on the north side) isn't scheduled to be completed at this time.

Not sure what the end track design might be, the old ‘back way’ track from Bathurst to Strachan is no longer connected at Bathurst St. It’s not clear to me how a fifth track will tie in to USRC.

- Paul

The plan had been to rebuild the plant at Fort York this year and next with #20 crossovers. This would have involved laying a new track on the north side of the existing mains and having it tie in right into the flyunder, rather than having it swing around to the north like the old track had been set up.

I say had, as I believe that this has since been cancelled. The signal system will be roughed in for this, but I don't know when they plan to install the track.

Dan

Back