News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Interesting - do you have any background on that? The first I can recall hearing about it in concrete terms was the 2010 study which originated in the 2007 Move 2020 study and announcement.

Before that it was mostly local politicians grandstanding about it.

- Paul

One of those things I wish I could go back in time for.....

During one of my several visits to the GO Transit Library in their head office in the early 'Aughts, I had the physical report in my hands. I wish I had asked for a scan, but as it wasn't what I was focusing on at the the time, I didn't think much about it.

Dan

One thing that's been in the back of my head since looking at Collingwood is rebuilding to Measford and a new line west to Owen Sound. Seems a lot more useful than any attempt to extend passenger service north of Orangeville.

There would have to be a business case for that type of expense to service a community of ~21K that has been relatively stable for several decades. The former ROW in Meaford and Collingwood townsites have been largely built over.

There would have to be a business case for that type of expense to service a community of ~21K that has been relatively stable for several decades. The former ROW in Meaford and Collingwood townsites have been largely built over.

It doesn't exist.

This is pure railfan fantasy, but I don't think I'm the only one still vaguely dreaming of steam excursions along the coastal ROW west of Collingwood.

Interestingly, the rails are actually still in place for the majority of the route, but are severely overgrown. A full rebuild would be needed. With the Barrie Line being all electrified, I would assume that a flyover over the CP mainline at Utopia would be needed. I think that an extension to Collingwood would be much much more successful than most people would suspect. Also, the route is pretty darn straight. There’s a UT forum for it here.

I doubt the service to Collingwood would be electrified. Would probably be a case for using a Dual mode loco on Barrie and the bi-levels. Would probably be only an extension of the peak service trains expected for Barrie and perhaps a couple of weekend trains specific to skiiers and summer events

I doubt the service to Collingwood would be electrified. Would probably be a case for using a Dual mode loco on Barrie and the bi-levels. Would probably be only an extension of the peak service trains expected for Barrie and perhaps a couple of weekend trains specific to skiiers and summer events

There's also every ability to get temporal separation up there. The Ottawa Talents would be quite capable of delivering the service if they can be revived (I keep hearing rumours their condition is actually pretty bad) and handle the track condition (European stock often doesn't take all that kindly to our track conditions).

Steve Munro has reviewed the latest IO report. Various GO construction projects are referenced.

Lake Shore East-Central Corridor
There was an RFP for this project in April 2018, but the financial close date remains “TBD”.

Lake Shore East-West Corridor
There was an RFQ for this project in February 2018, but no RFP has been issued nor is there a projected financial close date.

Lake Shore West Corridor
An RFQ was issued for this project in December 2017, and an RFP in April 2018. With the Spring 2020 update, the financial close has changed from “TBD” to “Winter 2021”.

June 22
As it stands, I did my final shooting of the site, as there not much left to be done, other than making the new 3rd track live. the signals at both ends not live yet. Not sure what CN crew was doing over by Bayview Junction.
50035177563_a660a2f22f_b.jpg

50035981507_f23563850a_b.jpg

50035178208_3d2a613c2e_b.jpg

50035178713_090f5dbba6_b.jpg

50035179073_83d45cea3c_b.jpg

50035982672_d373e0edcd_b.jpg

Confederation GO Station
Since the tender for the station only went out a few months ago, no work on it until 2021 or 22. CN has installed the other 2 track bridges and grading the ROW for tracks at the station area and the the ROW to the east. No idea where the track will connect to the existing tracks, Nothing has taken place west of the plan station to the yard and West Harbour station. Only 5 vehicles parked at the bus terminal. Route 12 NF drop 5 riders off and pickup 5 more plus a 3rd bike. The 3rd bike was put into the luggage area of the bus.
50035984362_94ff19f7d5_b.jpg

50035181383_403f75599f_b.jpg

50035181933_3a85db7de7_b.jpg

50035985302_11be94b2e9_b.jpg

50035730126_2ec8d9d02c_b.jpg

50035182523_88e356b591_b.jpg

Interesting on the trackwork to West Harbour being more or less completed. hopefully as ridership returns with COVID we can see some service increases.

Interesting on the trackwork to West Harbour being more or less completed. hopefully as ridership returns with COVID we can see some service increases.

Metrolinx blog article this morning hints that more service may come, but service agreements aren’t signed yet.

Article also suggests more work may happen this summer, hopefully the through platform at West Harbour for Niagara service is part of that.

- Paul

^ I wonder though if it's the service agreements, or if they have had to hold off because of the drop in ridership? Isn't the daily train to/from Niagara Falls still cancelled? I can't even remember if the weekend service is operating.

Weston Station
Nothing has taken place for the Weston New platform since I saw it almost 2 months ago. New track 1 in place at both end of the station and will be completed once the platform is done.

The one thing I notice that no hole in the ground at the south end to extend the tunnel from platform 2/3 to the new platform. There is one at the north end.

Agincourt Station
The New Agincourt Station steel is up for it including the roof decking. It about 5 times lager than the current one with 2 entrance to it. This doesn't include the 2 large mechanical room at each end. Sadly, one elevator for the station.
More sound wall being install for the full length of the station on both sides of the tracks. Not close to put in the snow melting system and pour the slab. That platform will not be ready for use until 2021. Until that platform is in place, very little can happen for the new platform and track that will replace the current on. North parking area 100% close starting at the current station.

Milliken Station
Another station that hasn't seen much work in the last few months, including the new mechanical building to the south that still not enclosed and walls brace to hold it in place. They have started to place platform edge to the north and very little beyond that other drilling supports for the Steeles south retaining wall.

Oriole Station
The new walkway bridge to the south of the current one almost complete. Path lights still to be install, but the sidewalk in place on both sides of the tracks. Once completed, the current one can be remove to allow the rest of the new off ramp to be built. It may have to do with the current view of the new walkway bridge and the support of the off ramp next to it, but it looks like the stairs are too close to the yet to be built retaining wall going south.

For a station that sees no weekend service, a very busy parking lot for people visiting people at the hospital across the street. Had more cars than stations that does see service.

Back