News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Does anyone know how many potential new GO lines can be created radiating out of Toronto by utilizing the existing set of tracks? I read somewhere about Metrolinx planning a new line to Bolton and Markham. There must be more such possible lines.

If this has been discussed before, can someone please refer me to the right page?

Does anyone know how many potential new GO lines can be created radiating out of Toronto by utilizing the existing set of tracks? I read somewhere about Metrolinx planning a new line to Bolton and Markham. There must be more such possible lines.

If this has been discussed before, can someone please refer me to the right page?

The key document outlining ML’s plan/vision is the GO Expansion Business Case which you can find here

Bolton was an old McGinty idea but has not been advanced in recent memory.

- Paul

Bolton was an old McGinty idea but has not been advanced in recent memory.

- Paul

Bolton greatly predates McGuinty - it has been in the cards since the late 1980s, even going so far at that point to come up with a budget and operating plan (5 roundtrips per day).

Dan

Bolton greatly predates McGuinty - it has been in the cards since the late 1980s, even going so far at that point to come up with a budget and operating plan (5 roundtrips per day).

Dan

Interesting - do you have any background on that? The first I can recall hearing about it in concrete terms was the 2010 study which originated in the 2007 Move 2020 study and announcement.

Before that it was mostly local politicians grandstanding about it.

- Paul

Last edited:
UPDATED: GO West Platform Relocation at Kennedy Station - July 27, 2020
What Work is Taking Place?
As part of GO Transit improvements at Kennedy GO Station, the existing GO Transit platform will be temporarily closed. Passengers will use the new GO Transit platform located across the existing tracks as early as July 27, 2020.

Pedestrians will be rerouted through the Kennedy TTC Station to the temporary west GO Transit platform. Directional signage will be posted throughout the TTC station in addition to on fencing on the platforms.
This configuration will remain in place for approximately one year.
Please expect a pedestrian detour at Kennedy Station and allow extra time for your journey during this period of time.

Construction: Updates (Richmond Hill)
Oriole Station Relocation Project:
The borehole geo-technical work that has been underway this week will extend for two more days. The work crew encountered challenges with conditions on site and are estimating that two additional days are needed to complete the work. The work will continue on Monday, June 22 and Tuesday, June 23, 7:00 a.m.- 7:00 p.m. on Sheppard Avenue East under the Richmond Hill Corridor rail bridge (near Leslie Subway Station).
  • This work will not impact GO Train or TTC train service. For drivers, there will be one lane blocked during the drilling.
  • Signage and traffic control measures will be in place.

Looks like they really want to move Oriole Go north.

UPDATED: GO West Platform Relocation at Kennedy Station - July 27, 2020
What Work is Taking Place?
As part of GO Transit improvements at Kennedy GO Station, the existing GO Transit platform will be temporarily closed. Passengers will use the new GO Transit platform located across the existing tracks as early as July 27, 2020.

Pedestrians will be rerouted through the Kennedy TTC Station to the temporary west GO Transit platform. Directional signage will be posted throughout the TTC station in addition to on fencing on the platforms.
This configuration will remain in place for approximately one year.
Please expect a pedestrian detour at Kennedy Station and allow extra time for your journey during this period of time.
Does this mean the GO station part of Kennedy station will finish first before crosstown?

Construction: Updates (Richmond Hill)
Oriole Station Relocation Project:
The borehole geo-technical work that has been underway this week will extend for two more days. The work crew encountered challenges with conditions on site and are estimating that two additional days are needed to complete the work. The work will continue on Monday, June 22 and Tuesday, June 23, 7:00 a.m.- 7:00 p.m. on Sheppard Avenue East under the Richmond Hill Corridor rail bridge (near Leslie Subway Station).
  • This work will not impact GO Train or TTC train service. For drivers, there will be one lane blocked during the drilling.
  • Signage and traffic control measures will be in place.

Looks like they really want to move Oriole Go north.
Glad they are moving forward with this. There hasn't been any news since they submitted application early last year.
Now that I checked, seems Metrolinx had updated the projects page with the project.

Construction of the 2nd track at Guelph Central is coming along VERY slowly. Pictures are taken in sequence travelling west from the station.
197B5F33-9FC8-48C3-84ED-BA274C45334E.jpeg
2C8B02BC-A7AC-431D-BEC7-B1A67A5A8E7D.jpeg
CB5EBF3D-F3C1-40FE-8DC8-4BE430AEDF93.jpeg
A4CABB5D-3007-450D-BD2B-D52AC77EFC8E.jpeg
55514D5E-23CB-4A46-A9D2-5710728752B9.jpeg
77252B56-4085-40E8-B8A6-A9DFB0B0CB6B.jpeg

Traffic is now using a single lane in both direction under Metrolinx Weston Sub for Torbram Grade Separation with traffic now using the southbound lane for southbound and northbound in the north lane and a hell of a mess there. It was such a mess, I skip taking photos.

Looks like paving was taking place with the number of trucks with asphalt there, but didn't see the equipment for paving since I was watching what was in front of me. I will say the CN grade separation will see top coat first as it setup for it now.

The southbound lanes south of the grade separation still not finish. By the looks of things, all of Torbram to Derry Rd is to be repave and wholly agree on it.

From my quick look, all the work for the separation is finally done, but not 100% complete.

Looks almost the same that I saw over a month ago when I shot it. Some ties and rail west of the station that wasn't there when I saw it.
I go past everyday on my commute and rarely see crews there. Must be a low priority right now.

Will be interesting when Dublin crossing closes. I figure the city will put up Jersey barriers and Metrolinx will put up a fence. There’s petition to stop the closure but few have signed. Until Metrolinx erects a fence many will cross illegally.

I have gone through this business case but it doesn't talk about new lines. It's more about expansion of existing lines.

What I am interested in is potentially how many new GO lines can we have (even if 100 years later) using the current rail track infrastructure or ROW in case we ever need to.

Back