News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I hate to say it, but the limiting factor will be parking availability at the various stations, Bring on the garages.

- Paul
We talk negatively about GO's parking but GO would have had a lot less ridership without that. GO trains are as fast or as slow when compared to driving on many routes. Now if you add another bus ride to your GO journey, it makes GO a lot slower.

If GO was as fast as other RER type services, then it would still have been a better option with an extra bus ride. The speeds will improve with electrification but not that much because tracks are still old and not designed for high speeds.

The Stouffville chart has a disappointing number of express runs to the northern stations, but I'm happy that this will finally happen in some form.

And despite the SSE project, Lawrence East GO is still moving foward according to : Appendix A6-3: Noise and Vibration Study Stouffville Corridor, GO Rail Network Electrification Project

1608592223573.png

1608592151640.png

Attachments

• 1608592123406.png
    1608592123406.png
    147.1 KB · Views: 144
What's the use of having stations so close on an "almost commuter rail line". It will slow down the speed of the entire line. That's the spacing of stations on the Yonge line between these exact same streets (Eglinton and Lawrence).

What's the use of having stations so close on an "almost commuter rail line". It will slow down the speed of the entire line. That's the spacing of stations on the Yonge line between these exact same streets (Eglinton and Lawrence).

No it won't, these stations will actually speed up the line.

This is a common misconception from the general public, that these stations will be served by the current big slow hulking diesel bi-levels we see on the system today. They won't

These stations are being built for GO-RER, the regional electrified subway-like trains that are being currently researched and planned for on the GO system.

These trains will operate on the inner region of the GO network, providing subway-like service every 6-15 minutes all day to many new stations. This is known around the world as regional rail.

The current GO system will continue to operate to the outer fringes of the network as it does now, but, it will use a 3rd express track to bypass not only these new stations, but many of the ones on the inner network that exist today.

So a train coming from say, Stouffville, will stop at all the stations until Unionville, and then operate express to Union. If someone wants to go to a station before union, they get off and transfer at Unionville to the frequent subway-like trains to access those stations.

However, most people from the fringes just want to get to Union, and this will allow them to do that even faster than today.

No it won't, these stations will actually speed up the line.

This is a common misconception from the general public, that these stations will be served by the current big slow hulking diesel bi-levels we see on the system today. They won't

These stations are being built for GO-RER, the regional electrified subway-like trains that are being currently researched and planned for on the GO system.

These trains will operate on the inner region of the GO network, providing subway-like service every 6-15 minutes all day to many new stations. This is known around the world as regional rail.

The current GO system will continue to operate to the outer fringes of the network as it does now, but, it will use a 3rd express track to bypass not only these new stations, but many of the ones on the inner network that exist today.

So a train coming from say, Stouffville, will stop at all the stations until Unionville, and then operate express to Union. If someone wants to go to a station before union, they get off and transfer at Unionville to the frequent subway-like trains to access those stations.

However, most people from the fringes just want to get to Union, and this will allow them to do that even faster than today.
I know about electrification but that does not mean GO lines should be treated like a subway. They cover a lot longer distance and should have a lot more spacing between the stations.

We are not even sure if we will get level boardings and if not, it will be slower than subway if the station spacing is kept the same.

GO trains are very slow right now and we should not take away the time savings we will achieve with electrification by adding multiple stops in suburbs. Having a few extra stops in downtown is different because those extra stops will have good ridership and very high density around them.

I haven't read about 3rd track on Stoufville line for express service. Are you sure we are getting that?

As some discussion this last week or so has been around the LSE East expansion and its impact on the Small's Creek ravine system (Williamson Ravine and Merrill Bridge Road Park);

I thought I would share that Mx has made the restoration plans public.

1608672662742.png

1608672877198.png

1608672899180.png

1608672929807.png

1608672950660.png

1608672973881.png

1608673008516.png

I have omitted a couple pages at the end simply to save size, and I think they would be of lesser interest to most.

Of note, all the trees and shrubs listed for planting are native.

Some of the seedmix is not.

The seedmix is likely for fast growth to prevent erosion, and while I think it could probably be entirely native, it gives me no great concern.

That said, this plan, which basically seems sound, would not, in my judgement, meet a net benefit test without further investment, likely off-site.

I know about electrification but that does not mean GO lines should be treated like a subway. They cover a lot longer distance and should have a lot more spacing between the stations.

We are not even sure if we will get level boardings and if not, it will be slower than subway if the station spacing is kept the same.

GO trains are very slow right now and we should not take away the time savings we will achieve with electrification by adding multiple stops in suburbs. Having a few extra stops in downtown is different because those extra stops will have good ridership and very high density around them.

I haven't read about 3rd track on Stoufville line for express service. Are you sure we are getting that?

Yes.

Any GO-RER service will have a passing track for express service, in some form or another.

And any new stations will not slow down existing service, it will speed it up, as I said already before.

This has all been outlined in the GO Expansion documentation.

And I just use the term Subway-Like because a lot of Torontonians do not know or have experience with frequent electrified regional rail like the S-Bahn or Overground or Paris RER.

I have not seen any hint that procurement is imminent on these stations - did I miss a memo ?

They need to be in the study so that it is comprehensive, but not necessarily to act on anytime soon.

They date from Smarttrack, and it has pretty much vanished.

Three-track clearances were roughed in in spots during the double track work that is still ongoing, but no evidence it is in the queue for procurement.

- Paul

I have not seen any hint that procurement is imminent on these stations - did I miss a memo ?

They need to be in the study so that it is comprehensive, but not necessarily to act on anytime soon.

They date from Smarttrack, and it has pretty much vanished.

Three-track clearances were roughed in in spots during the double track work that is still ongoing, but no evidence it is in the queue for procurement.

- Paul
There are clearances for three-tracks on the Stouffville Line? Agincourt GO is extremely narrow already with two tracks.

There are clearances for three-tracks on the Stouffville Line? Agincourt GO is extremely narrow already with two tracks.

Quite true, in that location. Further south, to my eye the width between the sound walls appears sufficient for three tracks, but the existing tracks would have to be shifted. I think that’s quite unlikely in the near term, otherwise the tracks would have been laid leaving room for the third..... but it’s possible some day.

- Paul

Will a third track be full or almost full length or only just some short passing sections? Not having a full length 3rd track will slow down local services at some spots. Although I am hopeful that they will plan their schedules is such a precise manner that the express train will pass the local train right when the track splits into two, but schedules don't always work the way they are planned.

Back