News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

OnCorr is the "big one" right? The one that has like 80% of the construction work for RER?
Yep. The works involve the actual electrification of the network, the procurement of the EMU/Electric locomotives, Construction of the planned layover facilities, operations. Basically the most exciting part of GO RER.

For a province that is racking up spending...........its accomplishing remarkably little:

View attachment 307790

As EARLY as 2026!!!
Now I think this just might be an example of sloppy wording. In the revised transit agreement with the City, it stated projects could be tendered in Q2 2021. I assume 2026 is the intended early open date rather than construction start.

Now I think this just might be an example of sloppy wording. In the revised transit agreement with the City, it stated projects could be tendered in Q2 2021. I assume 2026 is the intended early open date rather than construction start.
Yeah, I agree. I don't buy the province's wording on SmartTrack. Perhaps that has changed but I'm not quite worried about the whole "stations will start construction as early as 2026 wording"

Last edited:
East Harbour is not part of Smartrack. Metrolinx took it over and gave the city other projects of similar spending value.
That's what I thought too.

So why did they refer to the "multi-modal East Harbour transit hub" as one of the "five new SmartTrack stations in Toronto" where construction could begin as early as 2026?

That's what I thought too.

So why did they refer to the "multi-modal East Harbour transit hub" as one of the "five new SmartTrack stations in Toronto" where construction could begin as early as 2026?

Hmm. Perhaps they've decided to keep the Smartrack moniker despite Metrolinx funding it instead of the city?

Anyway, after some thought the timeline is probably right (or even early for that station). Metrolinx doesn't plan on tendering the tunnel/track east of Don River for a few more years; the track-work near the station won't be started until 2023/2024.

Last edited:
Hmm. Perhaps they've decided to keep the Smartrack moniker despite Metrolinx funding it instead of the city?

Anyway, after some thought the timeline is probably right (or even early for that station). Metrolinx doesn't plan on tendering the tunnel/track east of Don River for a few more years; the track-work near the station won't be started until 2023/2024.

The whole Smarttack/GO RER thing is so confusing now with Smarttrack technically taking over the Bloor station on Landsdowne and Metrolinx funding the East Harbour station, not to mention that the trains are the same GO RER trains, I just call Smarttrack in my head "GO RER+"

"Friends of Small’s Creek were not impressed by the position taken by Metrolinx. In a rebuke, they wrote the agency “still awarded the contract, despite community concerns.”

OK ya they just want to project shutdown.

Metrolinx is planting more trees and listening to you. Just because they wont cancel the project doesnt mean theyre not taking feedback

"Friends of Small’s Creek were not impressed by the position taken by Metrolinx. In a rebuke, they wrote the agency “still awarded the contract, despite community concerns.”

OK ya they just want to project shutdown.

Metrolinx is planting more trees and listening to you. Just because they wont cancel the project doesnt mean theyre not taking feedback

Guys, a crummy little creek near some houses will get slightly modified, cancel GO RER. Pack it in boys.

Guys, a crummy little creek near some houses will get slightly modified, cancel GO RER. Pack it in boys.

That's not an accurate representation of the group's position.

They are expressly in favour of the new track.

They simply asked Mx to review alternative designs that would be less impactful on the local ravine.

Its a nice, if small space. It has some rare species and its quite tranquil.

I don't think, based on Mx's proposed track layout and current rules around how to manage railway embankments that there is an option that doesn't cause harm to the local ravine.

The question is more of whether the damage can be mitigated; and/or off-set in some way.

The local group maybe a bit naive, though hiring that particular lawyer (who I know and has a good track record) indicates they have some pocket change.

Mx, on the other hand has been less than transparent, less than forthcoming, and just hasn't ingratiated itself well.

^ I think this has been discussed before and you may have even noted it, but from your understanding is one of the alternatives the group wants a bridge truss for the 4th track on the north side? The trees would still need to go, but the embankment changes wouldn't be needed? Of course a truss here would be more expensive and given the contract has been signed and the work will start in the fall it's too late to design it.

Metrolinx has already met most of the groups requests. The tree cutting has been significantly reduced (which surely doesn't cost anything - may even save some money). Tree replacements have been significantly increased, especially on the south side. They've committed to restore/move the trail that would have been broken by the new structure (and those wood chips are expensive ... ), and delay this spring's planned vegetation removal for further discussions.

Everyone knows that the fourth rail is being built, and that group favours the additional track.

But why do you oppose reducing the cutting of trees, and maintaining pedestrian access? There's very little cost involved in these changes.

The primary issue here is the lack of consultation with the community.

Back