News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

isn't this different than rail deck park?

Spadina Front.jpg

^ I think they way to describe it is that it's within the area the City wanted for a Rail Deck Park in general* but it wasn't included in the Study (map below from here).

1662661048038.png

Another map from a staff report from 2017:
1662661268255.png

Here's the ownership from a 2020 CBC News article. @DSC or @Northern Light or @ProjectEnd might be able to provide a better explanation.

1662660954638.png

Caption: Craft-Kingsmen Rail Corp. owns the air rights, shown in yellow, and has a sale agreement to the air rights, shown in pink. The city is looking to take over the air rights in pink first. (CreateTO)

* I say "in general" because of how earlier images treated that notch at the SW corner of Front-Spadina, as shown in this UT article from 2017.

Last edited:
^ I think they way to describe it is that it's within the area the City wanted for a Rail Deck Park in general but it wasn't included in the Study (map below from here).

View attachment 425695
Another map from a staff report from 2017:
View attachment 425699
Here's the ownership from a 2020 CBC News article. @DSC or @Northern Light or @ProjectEnd might be able to provide a better explanation.

View attachment 425689

Excellent graphics/description. I can't improve on it.

Sounds like this will be one of the first applications of Metrolinx's new 'station integration' policy (aka the reason why Confederation GO was sent back to the drawing board after DoFo & Co took over).

Should be interesting to see what comes of it, and Confederation GO.

Sounds like this will be one of the first applications of Metrolinx's new 'station integration' policy (aka the reason why Confederation GO was sent back to the drawing board after DoFo & Co took over).

Should be interesting to see what comes of it, and Confederation GO.
What is this policy?

That's not MTSA policy.

When the PC's took power in 2018 they cancelled a bunch of GO stations to see if they could integrate development into them and have the development pay for all or part of the station.

Mimico GO is the first station to be identified for this, with Vandyk developing there. Spadina is now another station using this approach, as is East Harbour.

Confederation was initially sidelined to see if they could identify a development partner, though I believe by 2020 Metrolinx decided none would be forthcoming and started moving forward with the station traditionally, issuing construction tenders... and then radio silence for 2+ years.

MTSA's are coming not from Metrolinx but from the Growth Plan, a provincial planning document, which requires municipalities to ensure their Official Plans allow for a minimum amount of development densities around transit stations.

That's not MTSA policy.

When the PC's took power in 2018 they cancelled a bunch of GO stations to see if they could integrate development into them and have the development pay for all or part of the station.

Mimico GO is the first station to be identified for this, with Vandyk developing there. Spadina is now another station using this approach, as is East Harbour.

Confederation was initially sidelined to see if they could identify a development partner, though I believe by 2020 Metrolinx decided none would be forthcoming and started moving forward with the station traditionally, issuing construction tenders... and then radio silence for 2+ years.

MTSA's are coming not from Metrolinx but from the Growth Plan, a provincial planning document, which requires municipalities to ensure their Official Plans allow for a minimum amount of development densities around transit stations.
Excellent summary. I’ll add that Woodbine and Innisfil are other examples of development driven projects too.

Are there any plans to create a west entrance to connect the station to downtown Markham (and get rid of the detour)? Seems like a missed opportunity during the rebuild.
According to the latest version of the in-development Markham Centre Secondary Plan, they are considering getting rid of the loop and using that road as the new "Enterprise Blvd" that will connect to the existing one (effectively removing that large curve in the road that exists now). I would assume that new entrances would also be constructed with that
Screenshot (2477).png

According to the latest version of the in-development Markham Centre Secondary Plan, they are considering getting rid of the loop and using that road as the new "Enterprise Blvd" that will connect to the existing one (effectively removing that large curve in the road that exists now). I would assume that new entrances would also be constructed with thatView attachment 426501
Does that mean a new Enterprise Blvd/YMCA Blvd overpass/underpass will be built where the existing Unionville GO bus loop is? And is the Viva Rapidway bus lane extension from Birchmount Rd no longer going to have a new stop directly next to Unionville GO?
1663000521321.png

Back