News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

"Miles"? Why not "kilometres"?
Because people are stupid (or one might say that it's due to tradition, but both are often one and the same).

It was a huge endeavour to change all road signs/markers to metric, and would have been easier by comparison to change the rail network over.
The number of US-originating trucks, each with a driver who crosses into Canada each day is many times higher than the number of US-originating trains, so the argument that this is about scope or safety (because American conductors wouldn't understand metric units) is untrue.
Now as a result of this mentality (going in large part to Brian Mulroney), we have a large part of the population conceptualizing the temperature inside their house as completely different from the temperature outside, different toolsets to build residential builds vs public, produce advertised in lbs and sold in kgs yet calculated incorrectly quite often on your bill, and on and on.

Because people are stupid (or one might say that it's due to tradition, but both are often one and the same).

That’s a bit disrespectful, and quite far from the truth. There is a lot of conscious weighing of alternatives.

If you have a (mostly) standalone system that operates (largely) behind a firewall, that has decades worth of technical data and specifications and practices that would have to be revised, it’s costly to make changes - and for very little benefit. There would be a huge room for error during the transition. The consequences of those errors would be lethal and possibly horrific. Not going to metric might seem odd, but there aren’t many decimal calculations needed - 39 feet to a length of rail, 130 pounds to a yard, and 60 mph is one mile a minute are about as precise as anyone needs to get.

There’s no question that had North American railways gone to metric, they would have eventually gone over the learning hump. At some point, clinging to Imperial will be disfunctional. In actual fact, metric is slowly seeping into railway industry - they order (and measure) fuel in litres, clearance specs are now drawn and expressed in centimeters, and customer shipments are frequently in metric. Much of the material they procure is bought in metric because that’s how the world is selling stuff. So it’s happening, but gradually in a controlled and measured and affordable manner. Interoperability with the USA is a huge consideration, it would be very costly to spit into the wind on US practices.

The sacred ground is the system of speed and distance accounting, and the physical nomenclature of track and signals. That’s safety critical, and really no more regressive than aviation sticking to knots and feet of elevation. (Imagine the impact on aviation if every runway and course heading had to be renumbered to get away from an Imperial system where there are 360 degrees in a compass circle) Hey, we still have Sixteen Mile Creek. The Who can still see for miles and miles. It works, and any down side is pretty small. Nothing to get bothered about.

- Paul

Last edited:
That’s a bit disrespectful, and quite far from the truth. There is a lot of conscious weighing of alternatives.
I respectfully disagree, but I will concede that no one is perfect and gets it right every time, myself included!

There’s no question that had North American railways gone to metric, they would have eventually gone over the learning hump. At some point, clinging to Imperial will be disfunctional. In actual fact, metric is slowly seeping into railway industry - they order (and measure) fuel in litres, clearance specs are now drawn and expressed in centimeters, and customer shipments are frequently in metric. Much of the material they procure is bought in metric because that’s how the world is selling stuff. So it’s happening, but gradually in a controlled and measured and affordable manner. Interoperability with the USA is a huge consideration, it would be very costly to spit
I agree, and interesting points. However, North American railways do not use the imperial system, they use the US Customary (USCS) system, which is somewhat moot since the standardization of miles in 1958, but other units such as the gallon remain vastly different. Should we be filling these trains with US gallons of diesel, or Canadian (Imperial) gallons? ;)

That’s safety critical, and really no more regressive than aviation sticking to knots and feet of elevation.
This is not analogous to rail because altitude, speed and distance measurements are usually given in feet and nautical miles, and therefore at least these units are a de facto global standard that is not based on one particular country's system of measurement.
Even then, Russia and China are two outliers. The ICAO recognizes that there is not actually a global standard in place, although they do call for one and are proposing that all countries use the metric system in aviation.

Think the demand is already high, especially in Kitchener and Guelph. If it isn't commuters or just people taking the day, its also probably the universities and linking both regions together that helps the ridership a lot.

Not sure how the new 17 route is doing so far, but it could be the best indicator as to how much of a demand the University of Guelph-UW/WLU corridor is and if its best to get more trains involved or not.

Sorry, I should have been more specific:

Right now the focus is on speeding up the line from Kitchener to Brampton.

This requires workers to be present on site replacing track, laying new ballast, etc.

Until this work is done, hourly service isn't possible because it would endanger the crews working.

Once the work is done, i'm sure hourly service and weekend service will be in place.

I asked a senior railroader of my acquaintance about the prospect of railways converting to metric, and he replied in his usual crusty but pragmatic manner

"After the Gimli Glider, it will never happen. The amount of paperwork Transport Canada will ask for will be so enormous it will never get done".

Just one person's opinion, but there is a lot of truth in their comment

- Paul

I asked a senior railroader of my acquaintance about the prospect of railways converting to metric, and he replied in his usual crusty but pragmatic manner

"After the Gimli Glider, it will never happen. The amount of paperwork Transport Canada will ask for will be so enormous it will never get done".

Just one person's opinion, but there is a lot of truth in their comment

- Paul
Maybe use the metric system for High Speed Rail, if they copy European, Chinese, or Japanese high speed rail standards. Currently, using American standards for railway standards, and we saw what happened with rail when we do.

Other may know better than me without going through my photos, but looks like the signal mast on the Barrie Line at Eglinton has been upgraded to 2 signals. It had an orange over red on it today and only remember see green in the past only.. Its the first in a long time seeing red when I shoot the Caledonia Station

I class the Mount Dennis station for UPX and GO as a Go project. Installing precast ties for track 1 & 2 as GO and UPX were using 3 & 4. Ties we stake pile on the road by NO Frills. Still a ton of work still be done for all the platforms, but getting there from my last visit. Photos to follow.

It was a huge endeavour to change all road signs/markers to metric, and would have been easier by comparison to change the rail network over.
The number of US-originating trucks, each with a driver who crosses into Canada each day is many times higher than the number of US-originating trains, so the argument that this is about scope or safety (because American conductors wouldn't understand metric units) is untrue.
Now as a result of this mentality (going in large part to Brian Mulroney), we have a large part of the population conceptualizing the temperature inside their house as completely different from the temperature outside, different toolsets to build residential builds vs public, produce advertised in lbs and sold in kgs yet calculated incorrectly quite often on your bill, and on and on.
I know some people don't bother to change their thermostats to Celsius because many are defaulted to Fahrenheit, but it's actually relatively simple to change thermostats to Celsius. It does surprise me when ppl clearly haven't bothered to change their thermostats to Celsius, but that's purely up to them. I don't understand Fahrenheit at all.

I know some people don't bother to change their thermostats to Celsius because many are defaulted to Fahrenheit, but it's actually relatively simple to change thermostats to Celsius. It does surprise me when ppl clearly haven't bothered to change their thermostats to Celsius, but that's purely up to them. I don't understand Fahrenheit at all.
Pretty hard to change one of these without replacing the unit.

1F56N_444_Horz.jpg

That might be difficult to do if you are a tenant. Besides, setting or understanding a temperature is highly subjective based on how hot/cold you feel or want to feel. Factors such as humidity are also in play.

Traditions are funny things. If it something you agree with, it is sacrosanct; otherwise it is stupid, apparently.

Back