News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Taken Today (August 8 2023) at 9AM: Maple GO Construction Progress
20230808_085619.jpg

20230808_085631.jpg

20230808_085638.jpg

20230808_085931.jpg

20230808_085935.jpg

At West Harbour GO, they have re-opened the main entrance following renovations. Gone is the former alcove with ticket booths, which have been replaced with a single service booth with a tiny window.

Unfortunately I can’t find any “before” pics of this area.

I know there have been some safety concerns in the main station area, as well as the staircases, so I’m unsure if the temporary closure was due only to construction.

38CE0C04-FE03-4136-97F2-54847AA4971A.jpeg
F2F4BEFC-10B5-427C-A926-DD56C34E914C.jpeg

Tonight, on the Lakeshore West line, west of TreMaine, opposite the Rugby Field at Sherwood Park, a large crew ( 12 plus ) plus heavy equipment seems to be installing a signal gantry? I stand to be corrected on that but could not get close enough after the game to ask. Work is being done on both side of the tracks. The heavy equipment and Iinstallation pieces are on the north side.

Infrequent Kitchener Line rider here. It's crazy how much the trip slows around Georgetown. Will any of the Metrolinx track improvements to the Kitchener Line address this area? I understand trains change from CN to Metrolinx track and Metrolinx to CN, but the slow zone is ~3km long. Travelling east, trains slow to a crawl ~2km before changing tracks. Are there any improvements that can/will be made short of a grade separation which has been ruled out?

Infrequent Kitchener Line rider here. It's crazy how much the trip slows around Georgetown. Will any of the Metrolinx track improvements to the Kitchener Line address this area? I understand trains change from CN to Metrolinx track and Metrolinx to CN, but the slow zone is ~3km long. Travelling east, trains slow to a crawl ~2km before changing tracks. Are there any improvements that can/will be made short of a grade separation which has been ruled out?

The problem is not related to grade separation. The problem is that there is an unsignalled section of track through the GO station platforms between the eastward signal at Silver and the westward signal at Mountainview Road. The signals governing that section of track permit, at best, "Restricted Speed" which the CROR defines as
"A speed that will permit stopping within one-half the range of vision of equipment, also prepared to stop short of a switch not properly lined and in no case exceeding SLOW speed. " (The CROR also defines SLOW speed as 15 mph).

Could that be changed? Certainly - by signalling that section of track. But that in turn might require changing multiple switches in the ladder of platform and layover tracks from "hand operated" to "power operated" or "dual control switches". Signals would have to be installed governing the exits from each track in that yard at each end of those tracks. That's a moderately expensive proposition, and if one assumes that the yard and track layout is likely to be changed as GO rebuilds the station in its Kitchener service upgrading, it makes no sense to make that change until ML/CN are ready to reconfigure the yard.... whatever wiring and interlocking devices would have been installed will be reworked again at that time.

I'm sure it is on the to-do list.... but probably has to wait for a few other things to fall into place. All of which we are impatiently awaiting as they are long overdue.

Adding a signal at the west end of the Georgetown platform might cut the delays down a little between there and Silver - but that would only be a patch and if GO intends to change that trackage soon... that too would have to wait..

- Paul

Last edited:
The problem is not related to grade separation. The problem is that there is an unsignalled section of track through the GO station platforms between the eastward signal at Silver and the westward signal at Mountainview Road. The signals governing that section of track permit, at best, "Restricted Speed" which the CROR defines as
"A speed that will permit stopping within one-half the range of vision of equipment, also prepared to stop short of a switch not properly lined and in no case exceeding SLOW speed. " (The CROR also defines SLOW speed as 15 mph).

Could that be changed? Certainly - by signalling that section of track. But that in turn might require changing multiple switches in the ladder of platform and layover tracks from "hand operated" to "power operated" or "dual control switches". Signals would have to be installed governing the exits from each track in that yard at each end of those tracks. That's a moderately expensive proposition, and if one assumes that the yard and track layout is likely to be changed as GO rebuilds the station in its Kitchener service upgrading, it makes no sense to make that change until ML/CN are ready to reconfigure the yard.... whatever wiring and interlocking devices would have been installed will be reworked again at that time.

I'm sure it is on the to-do list.... but probably has to wait for a few other things to fall into place. All of which we are impatiently awaiting as they are long overdue.

Adding a signal at the west end of the Georgetown platform might cut the delays down a little between there and Silver - but that would only be a patch and if GO intends to change that trackage soon... that too would have to wait..

- Paul
The timetable for adding a second through platform and accessible pedestrian tunnel at Georgetown GO keeps getting pushed back. I think it’s now Fall 2024 - the public IO 2023-03 Market Update doesn’t include it.

Metrolinx expropriated several land parcels between Heritage Rd and the Credit bridge. There’s been no announcement on why but hopefully it’s for the grade separation.

Caught some shots of the work at Pickering Go this afternoon while the line is closed. If anyone was interested to watch them tie in/install new rail at the station they look to be doing the entire eastbound track (are about 1/4 the way there).

Coincidentally caught the union station-bound via waiting for CN freight.

IMG_20230812_125117.jpgIMG_20230812_124629.jpgIMG_20230812_124438.jpgIMG_20230812_124447.jpg

Does anyone know if there was a pedestrian connection built, or if it's in the process between Rutherford Go's east platform and Westway Crescent? There seems to be fencing in streetview and it's mentioned in the GO Rail Access doc, but wondering if a UT'er has had eyes on that piece.

Untitled.png

OK so I asked ML about the seeming lack of progress on the Stouffville double tracking - and here's the answer.

Hi Paul, thank you for your question, double track work is ongoing, and some work in that area is occurring in the evening. The work does not happen every night at West Highland Creek, as other segments along the corridor are also being completed. For more information on the project, visit our website, https://www.metrolinx.com/en/projects-and-programs/stouffville-line-go-expansion.

I'm not sure how a bridge is to be built at night, on an occasional basis. But I did ask.

- Paul

Interesting location that hasn't got a lot of coverage. Update from March 1st:

To enable rail service increases during design and construction of the new layover, the Rosedale Siding (located between Bayview Avenue and the Don Valley Parkway) will be used temporarily to stage GO trains during the day. GO Trains will be staged at the Rosedale Siding for about two hours in the morning peak period, and another two hours in the afternoon peak period.

Picture from four days ago today.

Related to the location of this picture, it would have led to the original location of the Don Valley Layover on the Don/Belleville Spur.

Of course, this stretch may also be used by VIA HFR to get to the Don/Belleville Spur cc @crs1026 @smallspy

1692129707137.png

OK so I asked ML about the seeming lack of progress on the Stouffville double tracking - and here's the answer.

Hi Paul, thank you for your question, double track work is ongoing, and some work in that area is occurring in the evening. The work does not happen every night at West Highland Creek, as other segments along the corridor are also being completed. For more information on the project, visit our website, https://www.metrolinx.com/en/projects-and-programs/stouffville-line-go-expansion.

I'm not sure how a bridge is to be built at night, on an occasional basis. But I did ask.

- Paul

I'm sure I speak for many here, when I say "The effort is much appreciated, Paul, Thanks"

Back